Thread poster: Lais Lewicki
Lais Lewicki
Lais Lewicki
Brazil
Local time: 06:08
English to Portuguese
Feb 6, 2020

Hi!

I am trying to "clean up" a TM in TMX format. I am currently using XBench to run QA checks on this memory and find mismatches with my termbase, but XBench only refers me the segment number with the problem. I have to use a TMX Editor to edit the segment.

I am using both Olifant and Heartsome, but they only show about 100,000 segments and my TM has 160,000 segments.

Does anyone know a way to either show the other segments or another TMX Editor that does
... See more
Hi!

I am trying to "clean up" a TM in TMX format. I am currently using XBench to run QA checks on this memory and find mismatches with my termbase, but XBench only refers me the segment number with the problem. I have to use a TMX Editor to edit the segment.

I am using both Olifant and Heartsome, but they only show about 100,000 segments and my TM has 160,000 segments.

Does anyone know a way to either show the other segments or another TMX Editor that does not have this limitation?

I would rather not split my TM and have to merge it again. As it is not very practical and I have even larger TMs to clean up in the future.

Any help would be appreciated.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lais Feb 6, 2020

Lais Lewicki wrote:
XBench only refers me the segment number with the problem. I have to use a TMX Editor to edit the segment.

Does XBench also tell you what the text is? If so, why not just open the TMX file in a plaintext editor and search for the text? Does XBench also tell you the line number?

Lais Lewicki
Lais Lewicki
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Could work, but not very practical Feb 6, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Lais Lewicki wrote:
XBench only refers me the segment number with the problem. I have to use a TMX Editor to edit the segment.

Does XBench also tell you what the text is? If so, why not just open the TMX file in a plaintext editor and search for the text? Does XBench also tell you the line number?

It shows me text and technically I could use Notepad to edit it, but very large files don't work well with Notepad, plus it's difficult to read and write in it. If I had to make one or two changes, it would be fine. But for more than that, it's very cumbersome. Also, it would involve multiple conversions of my TM (from SDL Trados into TMX into TXT).

XBench gives me a number that for Olifant is the Row Number.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Goldpan Feb 6, 2020

I use CafeTran Espresso (but it requires a licence or a ProZ Plus membership past 1,000 TUs) for TMX maintenance, however you might want to try the free Goldpan TMX/TBX Editor: https://logrusglobal.com/goldpan.html

Craig Thomas Smith

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
TMXEditor Feb 6, 2020

You can use TMXEditor, https://www.maxprograms.com/products/tmxeditor.html

It is not limited to 100.000 entries.

Jean Dimitriadis

Paolo Tramannoni
Paolo Tramannoni
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TMXEditor Jan 11, 2023

I'm evaluating TMXEditor for Mac, and it is very good. However, the annual subscription is very expensive for someone needing it for just a few days a year.

It could be compiled, but I admit not having been able to do it. Even after following the available documentation, I couldn't even make Apache ant be recognized as a command from the Terminal…

Shame they don't make an intermediate version, cheaper and with some less features. Goldpan TMX/TBX Editor, for example,
... See more
I'm evaluating TMXEditor for Mac, and it is very good. However, the annual subscription is very expensive for someone needing it for just a few days a year.

It could be compiled, but I admit not having been able to do it. Even after following the available documentation, I couldn't even make Apache ant be recognized as a command from the Terminal…

Shame they don't make an intermediate version, cheaper and with some less features. Goldpan TMX/TBX Editor, for example, has a free version lacking some advanced features. Shame it is only for Windows, and I can't find it particularly comfortable to use.

Something that might work is to convert the TMX file to XLSX. This can be done by many tools, including the aforementioned Goldpan Editor. Editing the XLSX file in something like Excel or Numbers can be very handy. For example, when typing Numbers suggests me existing content from another cell; this is great to find duplicated or similar translations.

Paolo

[Edited at 2023-02-08 01:37 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Paolo Jan 26, 2023

Please DO NOT reload the page with your post in editing mode, otherwise your post is submitted to vetting each time. Please just use the link to the thread https://www.proz.com/topic/341038 or to your own post https://www.proz.com/post/2983934#2983934 (the 'chain' icon below the post).

Nata
... See more
Please DO NOT reload the page with your post in editing mode, otherwise your post is submitted to vetting each time. Please just use the link to the thread https://www.proz.com/topic/341038 or to your own post https://www.proz.com/post/2983934#2983934 (the 'chain' icon below the post).

Natalia

[Edited at 2023-01-26 08:50 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:08
English to French
+ ...
DISFR or RAM Jan 26, 2023

Lais Lewicki wrote:

Hi!

Does anyone know a way to either show the other segments or another TMX Editor that does not have this limitation?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

HTMX editor has restrictions on RAM usage. If your computer has little RAM HTMX won't show the full file. If your system has a lot of RAM (16GB or above), check the Heartsome threads/website there is a .ini tweak somewhere that lets you open bigger tmx. The limit in heartsome TMX i 1 million TU (same as Olifant).

A simple free alternative you can try (i'm quite happy with it) is Disfr by Alissa Sabre https://github.com/AlissaSabre/disfr

If none of this helps you, then you can try to convert your TM to txt and back to tmx using WF Converter (it may get rid of the offending entry).

If you want to keep your offending TU and are not afraid of some editing, open the tmx in a power text editor (my suggestion is Em editor) and fix the entry directly. I suppose it's some sort of character that creates the issue you are experiencing, I've seen it happen before.

Hope this helps

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMX Editor (Olifant and Heartsome) only shows 100,000 TUs

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »