דפים בנושא:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31] >
Corona quarantine diary
מפרסם התגובה: Mervyn Henderson

Andrew Morris
Local time: 01:37
ProZ.com team
How could you forget John Cole? :D Apr 8

Surely one of the first to burst through the Clipped-tone Curtain when the RP Wall fell?

My accent started out as Welsh as they come, even though my parents tried to heducate (sic) us to speak proper, like.

At Oxford it only got stronger, because I was chippy and had a point to prove, surrounded by nothing but Brideshead wannabes.

But then years and years of life abroad, teaching English to furriners, listening to furriners, and even spending much time spe
... See more
Surely one of the first to burst through the Clipped-tone Curtain when the RP Wall fell?

My accent started out as Welsh as they come, even though my parents tried to heducate (sic) us to speak proper, like.

At Oxford it only got stronger, because I was chippy and had a point to prove, surrounded by nothing but Brideshead wannabes.

But then years and years of life abroad, teaching English to furriners, listening to furriners, and even spending much time speaking furrin languages chiselled away at my diction, until my accent became what it is today: a mishmash that nobody, but nobody, can place.

Once, on a return trip to visit my parents in Llanelli, a tennis ball sailed over the wall from the park next door. And some ragamuffin kid out of Dickens clambered down our side of the wall. He said "Have you seen a tennis ball round here?" and I swear my only reply was "Didn't see where it went." He stopped short, looked at me quizzically and asked "Where are you from, you sound foreign!"

And no, he didn't have a PhD in Phonology.

I have been asked over the years if I am Dutch (thousands of times), South African (hundreds), German (dozens), and Jamaican (once). Funnily enough, the one-timer was smart – a white Jamaican accent sounds uncannily like a Welsh one.

And once in a blue moon, someone says "Are you Welsh?", whereupon they become my instant friend forever.
Collapse

Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
Ung humree Apr 8

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Scary stuff. Well, I had an idea Welsh was scary, but that proves it. And, to enhance Chris S's example of "in Wales", I see even the letters change depending on what follows, like Gaelic. Now there's a confusing concept. Although I must say I am interested in knowing how you pronounce "yng Nghymru". No use asking those new arrivals at the caravan sites outside Lampeter, I suppose ...

Well the whole point of mutations is that they react to what goes before (not afterwards in fact, although they may then bring about a retrospective effect on what went before – it's kind of circular). So certain prepositions, adjectives and the definite article all make the beginning of the following word mutate.

As for yng Nghymru

think of "bung" and take off the b.

then just say "humree" (not a northern British hum, like hoom, but a southern one).

ung humree. Easy!

Chris S  Identity Verified
הממלכה המאוחדת
משוודית לאנגלית
+ ...
Beed Apr 8

My children, aged 16 and 18 and both very academic, still occasionally use “bees” as the present tense of the verb “to be” in a specific grammatical context where there genuinely is no alternative to saying “bees”. Sadly for this anecdote I can’t remember for the life of me what it is, but it does at least give me the chance to share my favourite past tense that all the kids seem to use around here: jamp. Awwww...

Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
ספרד
חבר
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK ... Apr 8

... ung humree. Thanks, Andrew!

Now, bear in mind that I'm whiling away the time here until lunch, I have 5K to do but I couldn't give a toss about it until at least tomorrow because the virus seems to have put all deadlines back to next week in the Spanish State, and I'm clearly pissing about, how do you say "Oh, here we are in New South Wales, shearing sheep as big as whales" in Welsh?

Just editing for no particular reason, Chris! Keep you on your toes ...

[Ed
... See more
... ung humree. Thanks, Andrew!

Now, bear in mind that I'm whiling away the time here until lunch, I have 5K to do but I couldn't give a toss about it until at least tomorrow because the virus seems to have put all deadlines back to next week in the Spanish State, and I'm clearly pissing about, how do you say "Oh, here we are in New South Wales, shearing sheep as big as whales" in Welsh?

[Edited at 2020-04-08 12:42 GMT]
Collapse

Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
Weirdly, New South Wales has no translation, although technically "De Cymru Newydd" Apr 8

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

how do you say "Oh, here we are in New South Wales, shearing sheep as big as whales" in Welsh?

[Edited at 2020-04-08 12:42 GMT]

O, dyma ni yn New South Wales, yn cneifio defaid mor fawr â morfilod

Mervyn Henderson

ספרד
חבר
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well done Apr 8

Good one! Yacky da! I know the spelling's approximate ...

הממלכה המאוחדת
משוודית לאנגלית
+ ...
🧄 Apr 8

Cymro cymraeg wyt ti, Andrew? Wel, wel.

I have no problem with Welsh mutants, numerous as they are, but the Garlic is one step beyond with all those mysterious extra letters. The only word I know is my own name: Cheamysioealaghlaoghaiimeadeilaghaghhagh.

We are drifting off topic, however. This is not a time to jest with our Great Leader battling the Kung Flu. But no worries, “he’s a fighter”, unlike the 10,000 plus who presumably ran up the white flag at first sig
... See more
Cymro cymraeg wyt ti, Andrew? Wel, wel.

I have no problem with Welsh mutants, numerous as they are, but the Garlic is one step beyond with all those mysterious extra letters. The only word I know is my own name: Cheamysioealaghlaoghaiimeadeilaghaghhagh.

We are drifting off topic, however. This is not a time to jest with our Great Leader battling the Kung Flu. But no worries, “he’s a fighter”, unlike the 10,000 plus who presumably ran up the white flag at first sight of the 🦠 in the manner of Scooby and Shaggy.

Meanwhile the sun keeps shining, the sheep bleating, and the farmer screaming at Shep to effing well come by you effing bugger as his flock fails to social-distance into the next field.
Collapse

expressisverbis
פורטוגל
Local time: 00:37
חבר (2015)
מאנגלית לפורטוגזית
+ ...
Bad and very sad news for me Apr 8

Today, one of my sisters, who is a nurse in one of the main hospitals in Porto, received his positive test for Covid-19.
It's true this virus gathered families, but only through a glass, a screen, by a letter, with a phone call. Being at her side in this moment would be my wish, but I can't.
I hope she will overcome this, and recover soon!
Please stay safe and healthy! Stay at home if you can!

Mervyn Henderson
Andrew Morris
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

ספרד
חבר
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't despair Apr 8

Expressisverbis, a lot of people who test positive just have a bad time for a while, and then they're all right again. Think positive. It'll be fine. Meanwhile, like your message says:

STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT H
... See more
Expressisverbis, a lot of people who test positive just have a bad time for a while, and then they're all right again. Think positive. It'll be fine. Meanwhile, like your message says:

STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME ...
Collapse

Andrew Morris
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

expressisverbis
פורטוגל
חבר (2015)
מאנגלית לפורטוגזית
+ ...
Many thanks, Mervyn Apr 8

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME STAY AT HOME ...

Yes, I am confident!
I was expecting somehow this news, but... at the same time with hope she wasn't infected.
Hospitals are sources of infections; doctors, nurses, and all the teams who work there are always exposed, and mostly now.
We own them our gratitude and respect, as well as other professionals.
Yes, we should stay home, and I am complying with the recommendations. Please stay safe everyone!

PS: Btw, I don't understand it, and I believe you're writing in Welsh (?), it's a nice language.

[Edited at 2020-04-08 16:53 GMT]

Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
הממלכה המאוחדת
מצרפתית לאנגלית
Wyrd oft nereð unfægne eorl, ϸonne his ellen deah Apr 8

ספרד
חבר
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thursday 9 April Apr 9

“Deaths in Euskadi up by two thirds against the norm over the last two weeks”. So now we have a norm. We had a few days there when deaths in Spain were going down, then they went up again, and now they’re on their way back down at 757 yesterday. No sign of our neighbour yet. Hope she’s not one of them.

But let’s not confine ourselves (a weak pun, I know) to our immediate environment. Over in Nicaragua, I see that Daniel and Her Indoors don’t seem too worried about it al
... See more
“Deaths in Euskadi up by two thirds against the norm over the last two weeks”. So now we have a norm. We had a few days there when deaths in Spain were going down, then they went up again, and now they’re on their way back down at 757 yesterday. No sign of our neighbour yet. Hope she’s not one of them.

But let’s not confine ourselves (a weak pun, I know) to our immediate environment. Over in Nicaragua, I see that Daniel and Her Indoors don’t seem too worried about it all. Quite the contrary, in fact, organising mass full-contact coronavirus street demos in solidarity with other countries suffering the effects. I must admit I have difficulty believing this. Perhaps translators in the country could confirm?

And what about North Korea? Last I heard, the triumphant news was that they had zero patients. The words “of”, “large”, “salt” and “pinch” come to mind, although not necessarily in that order, of course. KJU has a good track record of success keeping infectious ideas at bay with drastic means, so maybe it’s the same with viruses. Perhaps translators in the country could also … well, no, perhaps not. Now there’s a country that’s going to reveal some horrendous stories when the shit finally hits the fan.

Back later with some vaguely amusing bollocks to take your mind off it. Hopefully. Maybe. Who knows. And don’t forget tomorrow’s Cookery Friday, either. A classic recipe. Rancid tradition. Oh all right, I haven’t even thought about it yet, but I’ll come up with something. I usually do. That’s my problem.

Back to 3K on bugger knows what … let’s see, oh … a takeover bid. Says here it’s going to be a humongous deal for all stakeholders. Right.
Collapse

expressisverbis

הממלכה המאוחדת
משוודית לאנגלית
+ ...
Bored, bored, bored Apr 9

God, I’m bored. Still unable to do all that work on my desk or do much else except watch those piles grow and waste time surfing on my phone.

And today there was even nothing of interest on ProZ. No nonsense from Mervyn; no nonsense from the nutters and grumps of this shire. I ended up battling my way through a two-part profile of ProZ’s Great Leader which just wasn’t quite sycophantic enough to be a parody. And when I hit rock bottom I even checked out the ongoing Success Su
... See more
God, I’m bored. Still unable to do all that work on my desk or do much else except watch those piles grow and waste time surfing on my phone.

And today there was even nothing of interest on ProZ. No nonsense from Mervyn; no nonsense from the nutters and grumps of this shire. I ended up battling my way through a two-part profile of ProZ’s Great Leader which just wasn’t quite sycophantic enough to be a parody. And when I hit rock bottom I even checked out the ongoing Success Summit conferency thing.

Now is it just me or...

... do other people also find it absolutely mind-numbing watching webcam footage of people with tinny voices spending half their time fixing technical glitches and then taking 30 minutes to run through a set of bullet points that I had already skimmed and absorbed in 30 seconds?

As translators, wouldn’t we be better served by the same information (which could well be very insightful) being presented in written form rather than slo-mo video?
Collapse

Brian Joyce
Thomas T. Frost

ספרד
חבר
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nonsense Apr 9

These are hurtful words, Chris. Sad to realise one is seen as naught but a purveyor of poppycock by appointment.

There's bugger all going on around here either, if it's any consolation. I was reading a bit of Shakey by the window earlier, but couldn't concentrate because there's a lot of trumpet-parping and drum-banging going on from the balconies as people try to do Easter as best they can without the usual pointy-hat processions winding solemnly through the streets.

Chris S

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
הממלכה המאוחדת
חבר (2014)
מיפנית לאנגלית
Be more creative Apr 9

Chris S wrote:

I procrastinated manfully by trudging down to my woodland and felling a few trees. Lovely day for it. Meanwhile, a project sits in my folder, watching me balefully.

Dan

Chris S
Andrew Morris
Thomas T. Frost

דפים בנושא:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

מנהלי פורום זה
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

ProZ.com Headquarters
235 Harrison Street Mail Drop #22
Syracuse, NY 13202
USA
+1-315-463-7323
ProZ.com Argentina
Calle 14 nro. 622 1/2 entre 44 y 45
La Plata (B1900AND), Buenos Aires
Argentina
+54-221-425-1266
ProZ.com Ukraine
6 Karazina St.
Kharkiv, 61002
Ukraine
+380 57 7281624
מתרגמים אלו מתאמים את תרגום ProZ.com ל-עברית

Team Coordinators: Addie Ney
נא שים לב שלא כל האתר תורגם. לוקליזציית האתר היא תהליך המתבצע בכמה שלבים, כאשר תחילה מתורגמים האזורים הפעילים ביותר שבאתר. אם אתה מוצא שגיאה בתרגום של חלק כלשהו באתר שכבר תורגם, נא עדכן את אחד ממתאמי הלוקליזציה שלעיל.
לקבלת מידע אודות האופן שבו באפשרותך לסייע לתהליך הלוקליזציה של האתר, אנא לחץ כאן.

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • חיפוש מונח
  • עבודות
  • פורומים
  • Multiple search