דפים בנושא:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31] >
Corona quarantine diary
מפרסם התגובה: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
ספרד
Local time: 01:49
חבר
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wednesday 22 April Apr 22

Deaths up again, only around 30 more than the day before, but still rather depressing. “Government steps back in the wake of chaotic handling, and will now allow children out for walks”, rants the headline. Only once a day, with one parent, and only for a certain distance. Obviously everyone has a different opinion. I don’t think it’s a great idea just yet, but then I don’t have sprogs running around the house all day long, and then again I can understand the people I know who can’t ... See more
Deaths up again, only around 30 more than the day before, but still rather depressing. “Government steps back in the wake of chaotic handling, and will now allow children out for walks”, rants the headline. Only once a day, with one parent, and only for a certain distance. Obviously everyone has a different opinion. I don’t think it’s a great idea just yet, but then I don’t have sprogs running around the house all day long, and then again I can understand the people I know who can’t wait.

The sub-article goes on: “Tributes flood in as local translator has lockdown birthday. Speaking to an empty silent street shortly after the church bells struck twelve last night, from the balcony of his flat in central Bilbao where he is spending his confinement, Mr Henderson conveyed his gratitude for kind words and best wishes at this difficult time, and …”

I can’t quote the rest because I don’t want to overwhelm you with emotion. Suffice it to say I’ll never see 39 again. Better go out and get some plonk. And a nice bit of hake, sssh. After I’ve done a bit of trudging through 3K of blaargh …

@Chris. Cockwomble, now there's one to note down. Long is the shadow of the Wombles of Wimbledon Common.
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
פורטוגל
Local time: 00:49
חבר (2015)
מאנגלית לפורטוגזית
+ ...
I believe it's too early Apr 22

Portugal is also preparing to gradually lift some lockdown restrictions on May like small neighbourhood shops, hairdressers and childcare centres likely to be the first services to re-open.
I wonder what "strategies" will childcare assistants use for a "new behaviour management" with young children and toddlers?

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
גרמניה
מגרמנית לאנגלית
Dear Mervyn, Apr 22

Long-time reader, first-time writer. Thank you and happy birthday!

Brian Joyce wrote:

In a mad world, only the mad are sane. I must admit grave doubts as to our respective governments in dealing with this crisis, and my firm belief that it has been either vastly overestimated, or underestimated.

No, no, even in a mad world, most of the mad are also mad, it's just that all of the sane are mad. Or, to put it more clearly and simply:

Given a mad world, in which m = mad and s = sane and the following premises apply:
P1: s OR m
P2: IF s THEN m

It is true that you have to be mad to be sane:
1. IF NOT m THEN s (P1)
2. IF NOT m THEN m (P1+P2)
Therefore: IF NOT m THEN NOT s

Alternatively, you obviously can't be sane and sane, because that directly violates P2.
However, there is nothing to prevent someone from being mad and mad.

It's roughly the same issue as when you got mixed up along the lines of "If I'm going to lack substance, I might as well at least make sure to lack polish."

PS: I apologize if I messed something up. It has been almost two-and-a-half decades since I took a symbolic logic course to fulfill my general education requirement in math without taking a real math course.
PPS: I apologize for not being able to work in an "s AND m".
PPPS: By the way, while we're on the topic, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is a wonderful book - I enjoyed the film, but the book is much better and much more to the point.

Mervyn Henderson
Chris S

Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
הממלכה המאוחדת
מצרפתית לאנגלית
Madness = sanity + mortality Apr 22

Thank you for your contribution Micheal, the fragility of the claim of sanity has been exposed by numerous psychologist's over the years, note; Stanford prison experiment, Stanley Millgram's torture experiment. The conclusive proof is sanity or civility is but theater, designed to suit a set of circumstances wherein the individual hopes to acquire material gain, or what they define as material gain. However all vested interest in a demonstration of sanity becomes irrelevant the moment our life i... See more
Thank you for your contribution Micheal, the fragility of the claim of sanity has been exposed by numerous psychologist's over the years, note; Stanford prison experiment, Stanley Millgram's torture experiment. The conclusive proof is sanity or civility is but theater, designed to suit a set of circumstances wherein the individual hopes to acquire material gain, or what they define as material gain. However all vested interest in a demonstration of sanity becomes irrelevant the moment our life is threatened, Jean Paul Sartre called it mauvais foi, bad faith, therefore all sanity is based on deception, in the service of the self-preservation instinct. The belief that sanity is possible in a world filled with chaos, is madness by definition, since in chaos sanity has no role because if it did have a role, there would no longer be any chaos, by definition. In abandoning such an instinct (self-preservation) we can volunteer for a true madness, which is indeed closer to sanity then sanity in a world of either order or chaos, but to do this we would have to believe we have the free will to overcome such a basic instinct, which, of course, is madness.

[Edited at 2020-04-22 16:29 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
הממלכה המאוחדת
חבר (2014)
מיפנית לאנגלית
Doubts Apr 22

Brian Joyce wrote:
Stanley Millgram's torture experiment.

A classic, but it seems that he manipulated the data.

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
פולין
חבר (2006)
מאנגלית לפולנית
+ ...
Instinct vs free will Apr 22

Brian Joyce wrote:

(...)

In abandoning such an instinct (self-preservation) we can volunteer for a true madness, which is indeed closer to sanity then sanity in a world of either order or chaos, but to do this we would have to believe we have the free will to overcome such a basic instinct, which, of course, is madness.

As a non-native speaker of English, I assume I may have missed some of your point. However, I do believe humans have the free will to overcome the self-preservation instinct, as shown by numerous examples of people who chose to give their lives to save others.

Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
הממלכה המאוחדת
מצרפתית לאנגלית
Defiance to authority Apr 22

Most of the subjects (56 percent) were defiant and at some point refused to continue administering the electric shocks.

The above quote of the unpublished data concerning Stanley Milgram's electric shock experiment only proves what I've been saying, their defiance is a demonstration of their madness, their insane desire to upset order. And the manipulation of the data is a demonstration of Milgram's madness, and determination to aggrandize himself in front of his peers to
... See more
Most of the subjects (56 percent) were defiant and at some point refused to continue administering the electric shocks.

The above quote of the unpublished data concerning Stanley Milgram's electric shock experiment only proves what I've been saying, their defiance is a demonstration of their madness, their insane desire to upset order. And the manipulation of the data is a demonstration of Milgram's madness, and determination to aggrandize himself in front of his peers to satisfy his insane egotistical pathology. An example of which we can see in the actions of Putin and Trump and the Chinese communist party hell bent on driving humanity to destruction in order to win a trade war. In this chaotic and apocalyptic setting only the insane can hope to survive, thereby proving the sanity of madness.
If you want to put your free will to good use, dig a huge hole in your back garden and fill it with barrels of oil.
Collapse

ספרד
חבר
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Friday 24 April- Vicarious Friday Apr 24

One big cafuffle coming up in Spain with the kids being allowed out for walkies and/or shopping. Oh, that ‘and/or’. It still slips in sometimes. But at least I’m only writing it, and when I say it I don’t say ‘and-stroke-or’.

As I was saying. Kids in supermarkets. It reminds me of Jenny Forbes’ comment right near the beginning of this thread, way back, about the little girl licking all the products in Boot’s. Well, you just imagine all those kids who’ve been holed
... See more
One big cafuffle coming up in Spain with the kids being allowed out for walkies and/or shopping. Oh, that ‘and/or’. It still slips in sometimes. But at least I’m only writing it, and when I say it I don’t say ‘and-stroke-or’.

As I was saying. Kids in supermarkets. It reminds me of Jenny Forbes’ comment right near the beginning of this thread, way back, about the little girl licking all the products in Boot’s. Well, you just imagine all those kids who’ve been holed up for over a month, just dying to get down there and get their little mitts crawling with corona all over everything. After Sunday, when the ban’s lifted, I for one will be avoiding the patter of tiny feet like the plague.

Oh yes, The Dentist - continued. In an unusual and implausible scenario which makes little sense, but really what do you expect here, this next bit was diverted by a fictitious moderator from Ermelie’s Vicarious Trauma thread. Didn’t want to hijack her quite so far:

... Oh, it might have been the pigtails. The pop-socks. The push-up bra straining against my forearm, I don’t know. Or all the pouting and inappropriate innuendo: “Ooh, you’re going to drill me again today, aren’t you, Mr Thorpe? - “Oh, that big tool of yours in my mouth again, I’ll have to rinse out for ages afterwards, you naughty man”.

I’m only a dentist, I’m not made of stone. But I fell for it. Just the once, I thought. Just the once. With a bit of luck she might not even remember after the laughing gas. But she remembered all right. And what did she do? She only posted it all on Facebook, the silly cow. And I lost it all before you could say “Local schoolgirl to have dentist’s baby.” My practice. My wife. My kids. My everything. And here I am in a B&B in Margate, eating my last meal of battered sausages and mushy peas, with extra gravy. Time to throw that noose over the roof beam, I suppose. One more for the statistics. It’s true what they say about dental pressure.

Actually, back on the Wet Rock in the 90s (this next bit’s true), my dad’s dentist got up to that kind of thing, only he was jailed for it. Well, not just for that. It was only later that they found out he’d done a bit of the dentist’s chair malarkey. No, the main misdemeanour was teaming up with his lover to murder her husband. And his wife too, within hours of each other. And then putting both of them in a car with a tube connected to the exhaust pipe, surrounded by photos of the children, like THEY were the secret lovers and had made a suicide pact because THEY couldn’t be together. But the most amazing thing of all was that he got away with it for 20 years, and was only arrested because his conscience got to him, and he walked into a police station to give himself up. Not the Northern Ireland police force’s finest hour. A dreadful affair. Good job dad died before it all came to light, because he thought this bloke was a fine man. See the Colin Howell case.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Chris S

ספרד
חבר
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cookery Friday Apr 24

I clean forgot about this, but on the other hand I'm not on a contract here, so here it is:

Clams in green sauce

(@Christel - there must be somewhere you can get clams, surely. Please don't use bacon ☺☺☺)

Ingredients for 4:

24 medium-calibre clams
2 red pepper seeds
3/4 cloves of garlic
Quite a bit of parsley
Heaped tablespoon of flour
White wine (cheap cooking stuff, although a finger of extra dry Mar
... See more
I clean forgot about this, but on the other hand I'm not on a contract here, so here it is:

Clams in green sauce

(@Christel - there must be somewhere you can get clams, surely. Please don't use bacon ☺☺☺)

Ingredients for 4:

24 medium-calibre clams
2 red pepper seeds
3/4 cloves of garlic
Quite a bit of parsley
Heaped tablespoon of flour
White wine (cheap cooking stuff, although a finger of extra dry Martini will do as well)
Fish stock (water and fish stock cube, ssssshhhhh)

Put the clams in tepid water for 15 minutes, drain, and keep them on standby. Best to start the whole cooking process about 45 minutes from serving, to let the clams wallow in all that green gunk for a while. This is really just a variation on the “fish soup” from a previous occasion, except this time the sauce is green, not orange.

In a fish casserole pan, heat chopped garlic with chopped parsley and the pepper seeds in olive oil for a few minutes. Have the stock hot and ready on standby. Pour in a finger or two of wine/Martini, stir, and wait a few minutes until the alcohol has evaporated. How do you know when it’s evaporated? When you can’t smell alcohol any more, of course. So best not to be drinking yourself as you do this.

Then you sprinkle in the flour and use a wooden spoon to blend it in. Don’t panic as it starts to form unsightly floury lumps, it’s all going to be OK, just as long as you immediately add the stock little by little and keep stirring as you shake the pan backwards and forwards. Might be a good time to take out the pepper seeds just before this, especially if you’ve been crushing them in the pan. You can keep adding the stock and keep stirring until it thickens and the lumps will eventually disappear and turn into the green sauce.

Then you throw in the clams, stirring and adding stock (continue to add the stock gradually – you don’t want the sauce to be too thin because you’ve put in too much, and - in my experience anyway - it’s a bad idea to try to rectify with more flour and stock later), and the clams open up meanwhile in the heat of the green sauce.
Not much need for cutlery to eat them, either. You can scoop the clams out with a fork if you like, but the sauce is simply slurped up from one of those empty clam shells.

I’m outta here. Been biffed with 6K for Tuesday, so bang goes the beach.
Collapse

expressisverbis

ספרד
חבר
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Monday 27 April Apr 27

They’ve gone back to putting yesterday’s death toll on the front page now. Only 288 deaths in Spain in 24 hours. I say only, because it peaked at 950 on or around 20 March, and that was after a whole week of confinement, so we seem to be getting somewhere rather than nowhere.

But you never know, especially since the streets were alive with shrill little voices yesterday as the under-14s were finally allowed out to play, but no touching or talking with their little friends, mind.
... See more
They’ve gone back to putting yesterday’s death toll on the front page now. Only 288 deaths in Spain in 24 hours. I say only, because it peaked at 950 on or around 20 March, and that was after a whole week of confinement, so we seem to be getting somewhere rather than nowhere.

But you never know, especially since the streets were alive with shrill little voices yesterday as the under-14s were finally allowed out to play, but no touching or talking with their little friends, mind. And only for an hour. And strictly local, only a kilometre from home, and definitely no cars to be used either. Pressure from parental associations various won the day in the end. I can’t be the only one thinking deaths are going to rise again shortly, can I? Just as I was thinking that, in the event of an emergency, hospitals should be less chaotic now. At least one of them has an intensive care unit with hardly anybody there now.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

ספרד
חבר
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tuesday 28 April Apr 28

Deaths up slightly to 331 yesterday, and the little experiment at the weekend of letting the kids out won't be helping in the short to medium term either. Both parents out with the kids (only one allowed at a time), children playing with their friends (no interfamily mingling allowed), families out for hours at a time (only one hour allowed), people miles away from their homes (only one kilometre).

Stricter measures have been announced for the long 1 May weekend coming up. Talk of
... See more
Deaths up slightly to 331 yesterday, and the little experiment at the weekend of letting the kids out won't be helping in the short to medium term either. Both parents out with the kids (only one allowed at a time), children playing with their friends (no interfamily mingling allowed), families out for hours at a time (only one hour allowed), people miles away from their homes (only one kilometre).

Stricter measures have been announced for the long 1 May weekend coming up. Talk of staggering outings by districts, and talk of staggering outings for the elderly and for children. Oh, and as of 2 May there's a general freebie for everyone, so they can all go out - adults, children, grannies and grandads, walking, running, dogs, sheep, the lot (I say sheep because someone was fined down in Marbella recently for taking one for a walk through the town).

Not too encouraging. Hopefully I'll have a shedload of work to do at the weekend, or else I'll paint the house or something, but it seems like a bad idea to go out.

[Edited at 2020-04-28 17:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-04-28 17:01 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
פורטוגל
חבר (2015)
מאנגלית לפורטוגזית
+ ...
We will wake up in the morning from this nightmare soon! Apr 28

Spain’s schools are not expected to reopen until September is one of the measures I agree with (Portugal is doing the opposite: the country wants to reopen nursery schools and universities).
I hope this preparation of Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, UK, etc. to gradually ease the restrictions of their lockdown do not rise the number of infections and deaths.
The death toll curve is flattening over these last days, and it is true we need to get out of this economic hibernation.
... See more
Spain’s schools are not expected to reopen until September is one of the measures I agree with (Portugal is doing the opposite: the country wants to reopen nursery schools and universities).
I hope this preparation of Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, UK, etc. to gradually ease the restrictions of their lockdown do not rise the number of infections and deaths.
The death toll curve is flattening over these last days, and it is true we need to get out of this economic hibernation.
But, if we continue to be cautious and comply with the new measures, we can stop or minimize the pandemic. (I don't like restrictions in my life, but I need to follow the rules if I want to protect myself and others).
On the other hand, we need to rely on science (to get a vaccine and/or a treatment) as the key to exit this pandemic/economic crisis.
With technological/scientific development, time, patience, "self-education", and hope we will get back to our normal lives.
Soon, we will wake up in the morning from this nightmare and see coronavirus was gone!!
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson

ספרד
חבר
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wednesday 29 April Apr 29

The good news is that deaths are down to 301 from 331 the day before, but that’s still more than the 288 two days ago. We’re told that the effects of the start of a gradual de-lockdown which kicked off with kids and parents on Sunday won’t be known for some 12 days. Which, I suppose, means until any contagions occurring during that period develop into The Symptoms, and we’re back to square one and it’s time to think again. But then, I’m not a lockdown expert like the people on the te... See more
The good news is that deaths are down to 301 from 331 the day before, but that’s still more than the 288 two days ago. We’re told that the effects of the start of a gradual de-lockdown which kicked off with kids and parents on Sunday won’t be known for some 12 days. Which, I suppose, means until any contagions occurring during that period develop into The Symptoms, and we’re back to square one and it’s time to think again. But then, I’m not a lockdown expert like the people on the telly. Or psychologists explaining that people get bored and frustrated and sad and, depending on their circumstances, economically worse off when confined against their will. Do you know, I hadn’t thought of it like that.

But don’t fret, there’s a plan. Quite a complicated plan, too, by provinces and in phases. They have it in the paper today, a huge table of whats and wheres and whos and do’s and don’ts and mights on a full page. Phase 0 (it’s always more exciting to start with 0 rather than 1) starts this weekend, and small businesses such as hairdressing salons and a few others will be allowed to open, but with one third of the usual capacity and by appointment only. All this will develop into Phases 1, 2 and 3, downscaling confinement more and more (“desescalada” is the word of the moment here), eventually even allowing people to travel between provinces, up to the end of June, by when it looks like you can do anything you want, as long as you have a mask and gloves and it doesn’t involve a crowd of people.

And school’s out, too, but only until September, not forever, as Alice seems to think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcVEhtojXlc
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
פורטוגל
חבר (2015)
מאנגלית לפורטוגזית
+ ...
I think we are on the right track Apr 29

WHO laid out six criteria in order to guide countries lifting restrictions:

1. Contagion is controlled;
2. Test, isolate, and treat every case and trace every contact by health authorities;
3. Outbreak risks are minimized in certain settings;
4. Preventive measures are in place in workplaces, schools, and other essential places;
5. Importation cases managed;
6. Communities are fully educated, engaged and empowered to adjust to the new norm.
... See more
WHO laid out six criteria in order to guide countries lifting restrictions:

1. Contagion is controlled;
2. Test, isolate, and treat every case and trace every contact by health authorities;
3. Outbreak risks are minimized in certain settings;
4. Preventive measures are in place in workplaces, schools, and other essential places;
5. Importation cases managed;
6. Communities are fully educated, engaged and empowered to adjust to the new norm.
https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19--13-april-2020

I think we are on the right track.
Time to be wiser, more cautious, and really careful in our daily interactions, even more than before.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson

דפים בנושא:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

מנהלי פורום זה
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

ProZ.com Headquarters
235 Harrison Street Mail Drop #22
Syracuse, NY 13202
USA
+1-315-463-7323
ProZ.com Argentina
Calle 14 nro. 622 1/2 entre 44 y 45
La Plata (B1900AND), Buenos Aires
Argentina
+54-221-425-1266
ProZ.com Ukraine
6 Karazina St.
Kharkiv, 61002
Ukraine
+380 57 7281624
מתרגמים אלו מתאמים את תרגום ProZ.com ל-עברית

Team Coordinators: Addie Ney
נא שים לב שלא כל האתר תורגם. לוקליזציית האתר היא תהליך המתבצע בכמה שלבים, כאשר תחילה מתורגמים האזורים הפעילים ביותר שבאתר. אם אתה מוצא שגיאה בתרגום של חלק כלשהו באתר שכבר תורגם, נא עדכן את אחד ממתאמי הלוקליזציה שלעיל.
לקבלת מידע אודות האופן שבו באפשרותך לסייע לתהליך הלוקליזציה של האתר, אנא לחץ כאן.

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • חיפוש מונח
  • עבודות
  • פורומים
  • Multiple search