Thread poster: mikhailo
mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 02:16
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 22, 2017

Dear Déjà Vu community,

Many – possibly even all of you - have been wondering which novelties will be available in the upcoming version of Déjà Vu.

We are planning to launch the new version by the end of this year and release several follow up versions with added functions other the weeks and months following the initial release.
These updates will naturally – and as it always has been - be included in your DVX4 license at no additional cost.

... See more
Dear Déjà Vu community,

Many – possibly even all of you - have been wondering which novelties will be available in the upcoming version of Déjà Vu.

We are planning to launch the new version by the end of this year and release several follow up versions with added functions other the weeks and months following the initial release.
These updates will naturally – and as it always has been - be included in your DVX4 license at no additional cost.

Déjà Vu X4 will focus on improved:

1. Usability & customization
2. Quality
3. Compatibility

Features to look forward to are easier maintenance of multilingual resources, more intuitive and streamlined project creation, proofreading outside of Déjà Vu, as well as integration with external resources and tools.

Here is a quick overview:

UI
Ribbon color schemes (customization)
Separate UI profiles for translators, proofreaders and PMs (usability across different user profiles)
Parallel, multi-lingual grids for TM and TB (easier maintenance of multilingual resources) - (follow up release)
Drag-and-drop files into Project Explorer (more intuitive and streamlined project creation)
TM and TB import/export templates

Revision Tracking
TM- or project-driven segmentation (easier project preparation, database maintenance)
Reimport updated source document (better handling of source documents)
Reimport corrected target document (QA, project management, interoperability)
Revision history inside project (follow up release)

Machine Translation
Integration with Lilt API

Translation Memory
Integration with cloud-based TMs such as TMXMall and MyMemory

Terminology
Integration with cloud/web-based termbases (follow up release)

AutoWrite
Improved case handling

QA
Direct integration with Office spellcheckers (without going through Word automation)
Show segment comments in a separate column

Aligner
Removes codes when importing (plain text alignment)

Filters
Add "Process embedded HTML" to more filters
Automatic processing of SDLPPX (interoperability)

We look forward to your comments and suggestions!
An early bird upgrade campaign will be available as soon as we’re getting closer to the release date.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dejavu-l/conversations/messages/137860
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:16
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hmm, disappointing Oct 23, 2017

Can't say that I see much I am excited about.

I was really hoping to see proper synonym support added. It's insane really, that in 2017 they still haven't managed to add this. They've had since 1993 to figure out how to do it...

I own a licence, but use CafeTran in my daily work.

Michael

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:16
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Too little too late Oct 23, 2017

Not much to look forward to, as I expected/feared.

The only interesting—and unique—feature is the display of comments on their own column in the translation grid.

Other than that, I see no real language-related improvement, nothing to do with linguistics.

(As for the release date: first they said summer, then they said November, now they say by the end of the year. So, I think it is safe to assume that the release will happen around March 2018.)

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 02:16
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Oct 23, 2017

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Other than that, I see no real language-related improvement, nothing to do with linguistics.

(As for the release date: first they said summer, then they said November, now they say by the end of the year. So, I think it is safe to assume that the release will happen around March 2018.)

Regarding language-related improvement it'really hard to do because languages are different (and atril hardly have a lot of prominent linguists in different langs to do the job). For me it's hard to undestand some features asked, cause they are not relevant/important for russian, for example.
Best way for that — improved regex/SQL supports, working with sets of regexes etc, so that everybody can adapt it to own needs.

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:
but use CafeTran in my daily work.

I have Visited cafetran site. NO ONE SCREENSHOT FOUND. Is this normal?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:16
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Lilt API (re linguistic features) Oct 23, 2017

Hmm, I was just looking at the info on the Lilt API, and integration into DVX4 might actually be interesting. If, that is, it allows us to use Lilt’s "Interactive Translation" stuff: https://lilt.com/kb/api/interactive-translation

However, as with SDL Studio's implementation of adaptive MT ("AdaptiveMT"), the problem is that their base engine is pretty terrible (at least it
... See more
Hmm, I was just looking at the info on the Lilt API, and integration into DVX4 might actually be interesting. If, that is, it allows us to use Lilt’s "Interactive Translation" stuff: https://lilt.com/kb/api/interactive-translation

However, as with SDL Studio's implementation of adaptive MT ("AdaptiveMT"), the problem is that their base engine is pretty terrible (at least it was last time I tried Lilt).
Adaptive MT, but with one of the better MT engines (Google Translate’s neural engine or DeepL, e.g.) would indeed be very interesting.

For now, however, I think the truly interesting stuff is being developed by GT4T (Dallas) and CafeTran (Igor). See e.g.: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000051572 ("Replace terms with Glossary before submitting to MT?")

[Edited at 2017-10-23 15:15 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good idea ignored :( Oct 23, 2017

I'm a bit disappointed in Atril's ignoring my great idea for segments containing words and phrases that should remain in the original language (say, French or English), and that the spellchecker would distinguish them á la Word.

One can only dream.

I'm in no rush to upgrade, though, unless DVX3's IDML filter becomes outdated (which is doubtful).

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 00:16
Interesting? Oct 23, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

I'm in no rush to upgrade, though, unless DVX3's IDML filter becomes outdated (which is doubtful).

Just FYI: https://1io.com

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:16
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Spell checker for translations Oct 23, 2017

Mario, this is an idea I have had as well. I proposed it to Kilgray several years ago, but they haven't implemented it, either.

Perhaps there's a technical reason. To me it seems fairly straightforward. We're not even talking about automatic language detection, as in Word. We want the spell checker to do its job by consulting the dictionaries of only two languages: the source language and the target language. It's really surprising that no CAT tool vendor has taken up this idea.
... See more
Mario, this is an idea I have had as well. I proposed it to Kilgray several years ago, but they haven't implemented it, either.

Perhaps there's a technical reason. To me it seems fairly straightforward. We're not even talking about automatic language detection, as in Word. We want the spell checker to do its job by consulting the dictionaries of only two languages: the source language and the target language. It's really surprising that no CAT tool vendor has taken up this idea.

But then again, this is a language-related feature, and DVX4 seems to have nothing new on this front… This is my main disappointment. I wonder who the software architect is. Perhaps he/she could shed some light on this issue.

[Edited at 2017-10-23 18:44 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hunspell & Word spellcheckers Oct 23, 2017

But then again, this is a language-related feature, and DVX4 seems to have nothing new on this front… This is my main disappointment. I wonder who the software architect is. Perhaps he/she could shed some light on this issue.

Epameinondas, it could as well be a technical issue, but I will never know. There is a point where upgrading to the latest version makes no sense to me because the improvements are only incremental. For a new user, sure, the latest version will definitely be useful.

And these software programs are tied to the lifecycles of operating systems. I'm still running Windows 7 Pro and have no need or desire to go Windows 10. However, that forced upgrade will be inevitable in a couple of years or so.

All in all, I prefer Atril and Kilgray solutions to SDL Trados, which I consider quite inflexible for my purposes.

Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Improvements in DVX4 Oct 24, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

Epameinondas, it could as well be a technical issue, but I will never know. There is a point where upgrading to the latest version makes no sense to me because the improvements are only incremental. For a new user, sure, the latest version will definitely be useful.

And these software programs are tied to the lifecycles of operating systems. I'm still running Windows 7 Pro and have no need or desire to go Windows 10. However, that forced upgrade will be inevitable in a couple of years or so.

All in all, I prefer Atril and Kilgray solutions to SDL Trados, which I consider quite inflexible for my purposes.

If DVX4 could have improved control of tags and tag sequence, this alone could make me buy the new version. So far the only guarantee for Trados compatibility has been to process files in DVX3 and then to export the TM to Trados and then rerun the files with this TM. Otherwise the recipient will ask me to do IT over again.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Look further! Oct 24, 2017

Olav Karlsen wrote:

If DVX4 could have improved control of tags and tag sequence, this alone could make me buy the new version. So far the only guarantee for Trados compatibility has been to process files in DVX3 and then to export the TM to Trados and then rerun the files with this TM. Otherwise the recipient will ask me to do IT over again.

Oh man, this is of course completely unacceptable behaviour!

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Control of tags and tag sequence Oct 24, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

Olav Karlsen wrote:

Does this refer to how DVX3 treats tag sequence? I have had several instances of DVX3 failing to export the text following a certain tag. Other times, DVX3 fails to export entire segments because of a tag.

Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Tags and tag sequence Oct 24, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote:

Olav Karlsen wrote:

Does this refer to how DVX3 treats tag sequence? I have had several instances of DVX3 failing to export the text following a certain tag. Other times, DVX3 fails to export entire segments because of a tag.

True, MS Word files export OK og they are straight forward, but Excel files are a pain. The only solution is a rerun in Trados.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
This must be very frustrating Oct 25, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

I have had several instances of DVX3 failing to export the text following a certain tag. Other times, DVX3 fails to export entire segments because of a tag.

Working hard to meet a deadline, translation and QA are fine ... and then you cannot deliver because export fails? What a nasty way to lose your client’s faith in your professional capabilities.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Still no "Quickplace" for numerals? Oct 25, 2017

Still no "Quickplace" (shortcut) for taking over numerals from source into target = I still have to put them in by typing / F5?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

News about DVX4 from Yahoo group

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »