[Edited at 2019-12-28 13:18 GMT]

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:29
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Comments Dec 27, 2019

1. Regarding the name Maria, there is also the spelling 'Marija' which is common in Slovenian. In Slovenian 'j' seems to have a 'y' sound (as in dobro jutro /yoo-tra/), so many names have that extra J, like Danijela, Julija, Amalija, Natalija and so on (all having the same pronunciation as in English). The country's name also has it, SloveniJa (it is also the only country with LOVE in its name). Note: Julija is also the name of Prešeren's unrequited love. There is a statue of her in Ljubljana.<... See more
1. Regarding the name Maria, there is also the spelling 'Marija' which is common in Slovenian. In Slovenian 'j' seems to have a 'y' sound (as in dobro jutro /yoo-tra/), so many names have that extra J, like Danijela, Julija, Amalija, Natalija and so on (all having the same pronunciation as in English). The country's name also has it, SloveniJa (it is also the only country with LOVE in its name). Note: Julija is also the name of Prešeren's unrequited love. There is a statue of her in Ljubljana.

2. David in Welsh is quite different: Dafydd. The DD is like the TH in THat, so Dafydd comes out at /dav-ITTH/ rhyming with 'with'. In Brazil it can be Davi or David, and pronunciation can be either /da-VEE/ or as in English.

3. Other Welsh girls' names sound very pleasant and unique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMOQHZhUerc. However the LL (like the sound of a rattlesnake) and DD as above can be tricky.

4. Vesa's list is interesting, most names are indeed universal but some are never seen in Brazil: Minea, Nanna and Milo particularly. Many Brazilian names come from Tupi and therefore are unique to the country: Iracema, Jurema, Moacir, etc. (I am sure that if Shakespeare came to Brazil he would have said 'Tupi or not tupi, that is the question'.

5. Mohammad has not caught on here yet as a name, but it seems it is the most common name in the UK now (including all spelling variants)
Collapse

Yaotl Altan

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Is my name a good example? Dec 31, 2019

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Maria has three variants across major European languages: Maria, Marie, Mary. Not too bad, but could be better. Aiming for two variants or, ideally, only one.

Incidentally, your own name is a good example: Roberto in ES/PT/IT and Robert everywhere else.

[Edited at 2019-12-24 15:23 GMT]

@ Anton

Don't I know it all too well, but my official name is Robert, as a child I was called Robby (or Robbie, couldn't read or write on that age), now everybody calls me Rob, and for some odd reason, in the US I was called Bob.

So, there are more possibilities.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Fun Dec 31, 2019

I have found a name with an identical spelling in any language, namely 'Camembert'. According to Namespedia, there is only one guy with that first name.:-)

ShivaShankar
ShivaShankar
United States
Another name common across many languages Apr 28, 2021

Alexander, Alexandra, Alexa, Alexia, Zander, Iskandar, etc. etc.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:29
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yaotl Apr 30, 2021

Anton Konashenok wrote:

I am trying to compose a list of personal names that have as few linguistic variants as possible - that is, are spelled the same way in many languages. For example, John/Johann/Jean/Juan/João/Giovanni is a poor example, whereas Daniel is a good one. In other words, what names would make it difficult to guess where their bearers come from? A guy named Daniel could well come from virtually any country in Europe and America (and Israel, too). I already have a short list but will withhold it for the time being. Any suggestions?

Try my name "Yaotl" never changes whatever language you speak.

expressisverbis

Barbara Pozzi
Barbara Pozzi  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Barbara May 2, 2021

IT Barbara
FR Barbara
EN Barbara
DE Barbara

expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not quite May 2, 2021

Barbara Pozzi wrote:

IT Barbara
FR Barbara
EN Barbara
DE Barbara

SE Barbro
US Barbie

😂

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Names with identical spelling in different languages

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »