Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Buying printer: laser or inkjet? Scanner, too?
Thread poster: Conroy Fritz
Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 12:56
German to English
+ ...
How do you guys manage without printers? May 8, 2003

I couldn\'t imagine not having a printer (I have a b/w laser). I ALWAYS, ALWAYS proof what I\'ve done on paper - normally at least twice, once against the source, once just the target language to make sure it \"flows\". I find that I \"miss\" things on screen.

I had a 3-in-1, but now it just serves as my fax machine as I found it smeared easily and the print speed was too slow for the huge volumes I print.

... See more
I couldn\'t imagine not having a printer (I have a b/w laser). I ALWAYS, ALWAYS proof what I\'ve done on paper - normally at least twice, once against the source, once just the target language to make sure it \"flows\". I find that I \"miss\" things on screen.

I had a 3-in-1, but now it just serves as my fax machine as I found it smeared easily and the print speed was too slow for the huge volumes I print.

I also offer sworn translations - which means sending a pristine copy with my official translator\'s stamp to the customer, so the print quality really makes a difference.

Also, in Germany some customers don\'t accept e-mail/fax invoice. Now call me a perfectionist but I find that poor print quality on your invoice reflects poorly on your quality as a translator.

In your case: work out how much you think you will be needing the printer and what you will have to print with it. Weigh up the prices and your budget (not forgeting to take the operating costs into account, inkjets are more expensive per page than lasers), and make your own decision from there.

Kind regards,

Alison
Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Local time: 12:56
Swedish to English
Ideal May 9, 2003

Have been using a HP LaserJet 3000 for years and if it broke down I wouldn\'t hesitate in replacing it with a similar machine.

Faxing - Printing - Scanning - Copying: all in one.
[addsig]

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Thanks Kasia May 14, 2003

I hadn\'t seen your answer-comment.

I\'ll try.

Claudia

Quote:

Hi Claudia - just a thought: have you tried downloading the latest drivers? You can find them on the hp support pages - try this one: http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/hppsc500ps18676_swen.html
<... See more
I hadn\'t seen your answer-comment.

I\'ll try.

Claudia

Quote:

Hi Claudia - just a thought: have you tried downloading the latest drivers? You can find them on the hp support pages - try this one: http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/hppsc500ps18676_swen.html

Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
efax is enough, but look out for the size of the ink-cartridge! May 22, 2003

I can do without fax, since I use a free efax-account (www.efax.com). Also your computer can function as a fax machine, if it is connected to a phone line. Mine\'s not, since I use ADSL.

Better not by those all-in-one-devices, when its out of order you have nothing, and many people have difficulties to get them work properly.

Laser-printer is best and cheap to use. Inkjets are cheap, but the ink-c
... See more
I can do without fax, since I use a free efax-account (www.efax.com). Also your computer can function as a fax machine, if it is connected to a phone line. Mine\'s not, since I use ADSL.

Better not by those all-in-one-devices, when its out of order you have nothing, and many people have difficulties to get them work properly.

Laser-printer is best and cheap to use. Inkjets are cheap, but the ink-cartride cost almost the same as a new printer. If you buy an inkjet, make sure, it comes with a large cartridge for black and that the cartride type is supported by ink-refilling packages.

My new Lexmark came with miniature cartridges, which were empty after 100 pages. And their is no refill-kit available for this type of cartride, so I have to buy Lexmark-cartridges for Euro 40 apiece! (printer costed 69 Euro)
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:56
Danish to English
+ ...
printer purchase May 28, 2003

I think you should purchase what you can afford. Technology changes to fast that it won't be long before there is another maybe better technology on the market. As for me, I use the HP deskjeg 970 Cxi and it is very temperamental. I also have an HP flat bed scanner which I really like. For faxing, I mainly use my PC. However, as a backup I have a multifunction center for Brother. Yes, of course, it is overload, but I really do use all of them off and on. Again, I think you should buy what y... See more
I think you should purchase what you can afford. Technology changes to fast that it won't be long before there is another maybe better technology on the market. As for me, I use the HP deskjeg 970 Cxi and it is very temperamental. I also have an HP flat bed scanner which I really like. For faxing, I mainly use my PC. However, as a backup I have a multifunction center for Brother. Yes, of course, it is overload, but I really do use all of them off and on. Again, I think you should buy what you can afford.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying printer: laser or inkjet? Scanner, too?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »