Thread poster: RafaLee
RafaLee
RafaLee
Australia
Local time: 16:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2003

I am doing double degree in math and finance and International studies and currently studying in Spain as a part of my International Studies degree.

I just found out my passion of translating after I studied here and I would love to pursue a career as a translator.

I grew up in Indonesia and I moved to Australia six years ago. So my native language is Indonesian and I am very fluent in English, as I do not need bilingual English Indonesian dictionary anymore.
My t
... See more
I am doing double degree in math and finance and International studies and currently studying in Spain as a part of my International Studies degree.

I just found out my passion of translating after I studied here and I would love to pursue a career as a translator.

I grew up in Indonesia and I moved to Australia six years ago. So my native language is Indonesian and I am very fluent in English, as I do not need bilingual English Indonesian dictionary anymore.
My third language is Spanish. I can understand spoken Mandarin, as my parents speak Mandarin. I also understand basic Russian. I have also got a familiarity with slavic, greek and turkish grammar.

Which language should I focus on ??
I also would love to know the market situation for translators in Australia.

Thanks a lot.

Rafa Lee
ps. I will come back to Australia next year.
Collapse

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:11
English to Croatian
+ ...
Indonesian - English Jun 2, 2003

With your language combinations Indonesian - English and having Spanish as a source language as well I would say You'll have a lot of opportunities Down Under. Stick to it.

And with double degree in maths and finances - Bob's Your Uncle.

Cheers!

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:11
French to English
+ ...
I agree Jun 2, 2003

If it had been a case of Europe or the States, then Spanish would be the option to go for, but the Australian markets are heavily involved with the Far East. Also, working with Indonesian and English (in both of which you are fluent), means that you still have time to keep up your Spanish, opening even more doors for you! Good luck!

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which language should I focus on?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »