Thread poster: Alterlingua
Alterlingua
Alterlingua
Local time: 14:44
English to French
+ ...
Feb 9, 2002

Hi all !

We are two freelance translators based in the UK but we\'ve now decided to go live and work in Spain. Here in the UK it was very easy to get started but we have no idea how it works in Spain. Furthermore, as we are two translators, we would like to be able to act with a \"company name\" (trademark), to have a common accounting/invoicing, etc. but not necessarily by creating a real company (Sociedad a responsabilidad limitada)because it might cost too much. We are lo
... See more
Hi all !

We are two freelance translators based in the UK but we\'ve now decided to go live and work in Spain. Here in the UK it was very easy to get started but we have no idea how it works in Spain. Furthermore, as we are two translators, we would like to be able to act with a \"company name\" (trademark), to have a common accounting/invoicing, etc. but not necessarily by creating a real company (Sociedad a responsabilidad limitada)because it might cost too much. We are looking for an \"intermediary status\".

We would be very grateful if you could comunicate us any information related to this matter or give us the name of associations or organisations which could help us.

Thank you very much in advance.

Maïté & Benoît.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-11 09:31 ]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
The opposite.... Feb 10, 2002

I\'m considering leaving Spain because of the difficulties of being freelance!

I\'m afarid I\'m not an expert, I only have my own experiences to go on, I never intend to be a company, all I know that in Spain to be \'freelance = autonomo\' you must get your \'fiscal license\' then start paying an obligatory 30,000 or so ptas (180 Euros) Social Security per month. Not to mention all the paperwork, I pay a gestor a substantial amount to deal with that 3-monthly headache plus t
... See more
I\'m considering leaving Spain because of the difficulties of being freelance!

I\'m afarid I\'m not an expert, I only have my own experiences to go on, I never intend to be a company, all I know that in Spain to be \'freelance = autonomo\' you must get your \'fiscal license\' then start paying an obligatory 30,000 or so ptas (180 Euros) Social Security per month. Not to mention all the paperwork, I pay a gestor a substantial amount to deal with that 3-monthly headache plus the annual tax declaration.

That kind of outlay from day one is not really on for freelance translators, as they have to build up a clientele.......

I know that in ireland and teh Uk the system is far more flexible, my sister-in-law is a freelance yoga teacher, and doesn\'t have to pay any Social Security (obligatory State) and only has to charge VAT at a reiculously high level of earnings....

Note also that rates in Spain are poor and you often wait months to get paid. On teh plus side obviuously is the lower cost of living especially if you avoid big cities....

Hope that\'s of soem use, let\'s hear what others say.
Collapse

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Comunidad de bienes Feb 10, 2002

This is the simplest type of partnership you can establish in Spain. No minimum capital is needed.

You can get information on how to get established in Spain through: http://www.inem.es

METAFRASI (X)
METAFRASI (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sociedad Civil Privada Feb 11, 2002

Existe una posibilidad. Es la formar una Sociedad Civil Privada, los costos son mucho menores y te favoreces con la imagen de un empresa.

Si lo desean pueden envienme un e-mail y les puedo informar un poco más.

CARLOS BENZAQUEN
[addsig]

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:44
Dutch to English
+ ...
I'm curious Feb 11, 2002

to see any replies, as I myself am moving to Spain at the end of the year.

I do believe however that there is no difference between working in Spain or England or anywhere else for that matter, thanks to modern technology. I have worked from the UK on several American jobs for example, and my geographical location was irrelevant

Dave

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get started in Spain ??

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »