... See more
At 2002-02-18 13:08:00 you wrote:

> > Got from SECURE SOURCE:

> > Has anyone out there been contacted by a company --not a translation

agency-- to do for them an 1800/word translation test? They claim they are

testing speed and accuracy for a news related job, and that they have

already tested about 100 translators. If so, I would appreciate your opinion

about this.

> > We have been warned many times about this type of practice by agencies.

Even if this is legitimate, don\'t you think 1800 is a bit too much?

Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 01:19
German to English
+ ...
1,800 words is never legit!!!!!!! Feb 18, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-18 23:21, biancaf202 wrote:

already tested about 100 translators. If so, I would appre... See more
Quote:

On 2002-02-18 23:21, biancaf202 wrote:

already tested about 100 translators. If so, I would appreciate your opinion

about this.

> > We have been warned many times about this type of practice by agencies.

Even if this is legitimate, don\'t you think 1800 is a bit too much?

Any \"test\" that exceeds 200 words or so is excessive and smacks of \"fraud\". ▲ Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:19
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 18, 2002

Forget about the test for a minute...

If they\'ve \"already tested about 100 translators\" without finding someone who meets their requirements (and frankly I\'m surprised they found 100 people willing to do a test of that size), then I wouldn\'t count on them being satisfied with your work either.

R.

==

Quote:

Any \"test\" that exceeds 200 words or so is excessive and ... See more
Forget about the test for a minute...

If they\'ve \"already tested about 100 translators\" without finding someone who meets their requirements (and frankly I\'m surprised they found 100 people willing to do a test of that size), then I wouldn\'t count on them being satisfied with your work either.

R.

==

Quote:

Any \"test\" that exceeds 200 words or so is excessive and smacks of \"fraud\".

Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
English to Italian
+ ...
Welcome Bianca! Feb 19, 2002

Yes, I once did 2000 words as a test (how naive can one be). They had originally asked for 5000, imagine.

I agree with Werner and Rick: never do a test over 200 words. Other colleagues say, never do a test period. I am a touch more flexible on that, as I got a good client through Proz.com once, by doing a 100 words test that they really liked.

Also, I suggested elsewhere that if the oursourcer does not publish the text of the test on the bid, so that all the bidders can be
... See more
Yes, I once did 2000 words as a test (how naive can one be). They had originally asked for 5000, imagine.

I agree with Werner and Rick: never do a test over 200 words. Other colleagues say, never do a test period. I am a touch more flexible on that, as I got a good client through Proz.com once, by doing a 100 words test that they really liked.

Also, I suggested elsewhere that if the oursourcer does not publish the text of the test on the bid, so that all the bidders can be assured that the same text is being test-translated, then you go on the Forum, refer to the job in the posting title, and indicate the beginning and ending words of the text, and the approximate length, so that your colleagues and yourself know whether you are all doing the same test, or whether the outsourcer is having parts of his text translated for free.

Another outsourcer had part of a script translated by giving it 200 words at a time to a whole bunch of translators (and not posting it in the bid). 200 words was no big loss for us, and the script was really easy, but that\'s when we came up with the idea of the Forum for posting texts to be test translated. We do not want to cheat, but we do not want to be taken for a ride either.

All the best

paola l m

co-mod EN>IT

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-19 00:42 ]
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Totally agree with Rick Feb 19, 2002

If I were you, I would forget all about those guys.

The simple fact that they mention that they have already tested 100 people is outrageous.

Good luck,

BSD

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Don't do more than 200 words. Feb 19, 2002

Good rule of thumb, in my opinion.

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:19
German to English
+ ...
1800 as a free test? Ridiculous! Feb 19, 2002

At most, I agree with 150 to 200 words out of context as a free test. Everything else should be paid for.

I am at the moment in the situation that I have to farm out some work out of 100,000+ words mixed checking and translation that I cannot handle all due to the tight deadline. The type of context-less job allows it.

I asked the applicants to check and translate 2500 words, because I need to know how good they can handle the sometimes quite complex te
... See more
At most, I agree with 150 to 200 words out of context as a free test. Everything else should be paid for.

I am at the moment in the situation that I have to farm out some work out of 100,000+ words mixed checking and translation that I cannot handle all due to the tight deadline. The type of context-less job allows it.

I asked the applicants to check and translate 2500 words, because I need to know how good they can handle the sometimes quite complex terminology. But of course, regardless of the quality (which I may have to rewrite), they will get paid the regular rate.

My advice: offer them a discounted rate with the comment that a free trial ot 1800 words is quite unusual.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-19 01:28 ]
Collapse

BernieM
BernieM
Canada
Local time: 22:19
French to English
+ ...
Feb 19, 2002

Logic dictates that they are trying to take you for a ride. Can you imagine that they have actually taken the time to check the 1,800 words they have received from each of the 100 translators already tested??? I don\'t think so!

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:19
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
They are only trying to get a FREE translation Feb 19, 2002

I agree with everybody else who wrote here. Do not do test translation for over 200 words and especially if it is rush translation. I admit it, I too have been naive to give free translation to these types of companies, and have regreted it later.

Monika
[addsig]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 00:19
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
too much... or ask them to pay Feb 19, 2002

to compromise I\'d suggest them to consider paying for 1800 test, at least you can make such move and then watch for their reaction - it may say a lot.

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:19
English to German
+ ...
Test 1.800? Feb 19, 2002

I agree with all that 1.800 words is far too much for a test. If I am able to estimate properly, this is a test of 5-6 pages, so, roughly, half a day or even more if you include reference checking, clarifying, proofreading etc. Would you spend this amount of time for free? Hardly would I. And I wonder whether anyone would take the time afterwards to check and compare that huge tests delivered by more than 100 people. This would require for an army of proofreaders/experts. So, forget about it.

Samy Boutayeb
Samy Boutayeb  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
4225 words for free for Mendez-Bowne Feb 19, 2002

Hi all,

I was required from Bowne (former Mendez) to do a 4225 words test (2 languages pairs, 6 docs, 3 fields, old texts).

Since then, nothing. But I don\'t care, since they are low payers.

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Up to 500 Feb 19, 2002

is my personal maximum. I\'ve regularly done samples between 300 and 500 words, although most are below this. 500 is pretty much my upper limit.

As for religion, I\'ve often seen the requirement from, e.g., Christian organisations or newspapers/letters that you be a practicing Christian. It guess it would depend on the material you are to translate.

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
PICARESCA Feb 19, 2002

As it is said in Spanish.

Be careful!

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Maximum 200 or pay Feb 19, 2002

My maximum is 200 words. If they ask for more, they have to pay everything but the first 200 words.

Three months or so ago, someone contacted me and asked me to do a 3000-word test translation. Moreover, there was a very strict deadline. Of course, I refused and I told him that a 200-word test would give him a fair impression of the quality of my work. He replied: \"Hm, OK, well, then do the first 200 words as a test and you can send a bill for the rest.\" And then he starte
... See more
My maximum is 200 words. If they ask for more, they have to pay everything but the first 200 words.

Three months or so ago, someone contacted me and asked me to do a 3000-word test translation. Moreover, there was a very strict deadline. Of course, I refused and I told him that a 200-word test would give him a fair impression of the quality of my work. He replied: \"Hm, OK, well, then do the first 200 words as a test and you can send a bill for the rest.\" And then he started arguing about the price. It goes without saying that I was \"way too expensive\" and that he worked with \"a lot of translators who charge only 0.35 per line of 60 characters\" (which is less than 4 cents per word!!).

I invited him to give the translation to one of those translators then because there was no way I was going to work for that rate. In the end, he gave in.

After the translation, he demanded a 50% reduction because of the \"louzy quality\". He faxed me all his remarks and I spent 6 hours correcting all his corrections. I documented every correction (grammatical reference book etc.) and it appeared that not even one of his remarks was justified. On the contrary, he had added dozens of mistakes to the text. Obviously, I refused to grant him the 50% reduction.

He wasn\'t happy (again), but he came back and has never ever argued about anything anymore. He pays promptly and I still receive work from him.

Conclusion: make your clients respect you. They sometimes try to take advantage of you, but don\'t admit that. They will only respect you for it. (Or try their luck elsewhere, but that means that you\'re better off without them anyway.)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1800 word test - too much?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »