Aspiring to be a translator...
Thread poster: cmjenkins
cmjenkins
cmjenkins
English to French
+ ...
Feb 20, 2002

I am nearing the end of my military enlistment and am thinking about going into translation. I have a BA in French and I learned Korean at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA. I know that much more than my education is required in order to be considered a good linguist...what else do I need to do? I will be starting graduate school in the fall and plan on persuing a master\'s in cross cultural studies and international affairs. I love the study of other cultures and languages. What is... See more
I am nearing the end of my military enlistment and am thinking about going into translation. I have a BA in French and I learned Korean at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA. I know that much more than my education is required in order to be considered a good linguist...what else do I need to do? I will be starting graduate school in the fall and plan on persuing a master\'s in cross cultural studies and international affairs. I love the study of other cultures and languages. What is the best way to perfect the art of translation? Can I be a good translator without having these two languages as my native tongue? How do I master these languages if don\'t have the opportunity to go abroad? Should I wait until I\'ve mastered these languages before I start to learn another? I feel somewhat lost and intimidated and would appreciate any feedback that you could give.Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:22
French to English
Various points Feb 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-20 00:40, cmjenkins wrote:

I have a BA in French and I learned Korean at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA. I know that much more than my education is required in order to be considered a good linguist...what else do I need to do?

The most important thing for future translators to know is that translators work _into_ their native language _only_. Granted, there a... See more
Quote:

On 2002-02-20 00:40, cmjenkins wrote:

I have a BA in French and I learned Korean at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA. I know that much more than my education is required in order to be considered a good linguist...what else do I need to do?

The most important thing for future translators to know is that translators work _into_ their native language _only_. Granted, there are a few exceptions who master both source and target languages, but these people are few and far between.

From your post, I gather that you are a native of the US, and therefore English is your native language. Thus this is the language you master and therefore the language you should translate into (I noticed your profile indicates translation into French and Korean...).

If you want to have both French and Korean as your source languages, and you feel you need to improve, spending time in each country is ideal. You asked about how to perfect the art of translation: to me, translation is also a skill, and the only way to improve a skill is to practise.

I know that there\'s a translation and interpreting school in Monterey (can\'t remember the name, but an Internet search would turn up something) where you can get a good theoretical background of what\'s involved in translation.

I hope that helps a bit.

Erika Pavelka

Collapse

Yolanda Ruiz Luque
Yolanda Ruiz Luque
Local time: 21:22
English to Spanish
Monterey Institute. Mar 8, 2002

The name of the place is Monterey Institute of International Studies. www.miis.edu. It is supposed to be one of the best in the United States. i wish I lived in California. I would go there!

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:22
German to English
+ ...
Monterey Institute of International Studies Mar 8, 2002

Hi,

The school is Monterey Institute of International Studies.

www.miis.edu

I am a graduate if you have any questions.

Daina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aspiring to be a translator...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »