Distance courses preparing for IOL DipTrans - any advice?
Thread poster: tr. (X)
tr. (X)
tr. (X)
Local time: 14:34
English to Italian
Sep 25, 2003

Hi all,

I'm thinking of taking the IOL Exam next year (well, in 2005 at this stage) and also considering following a course in preparation.

I was checking out a few of those mentioned in these forums as well - mainly those provided by London City University and WLS (Ireland). I haven't actually found any other
... See more
Hi all,

I'm thinking of taking the IOL Exam next year (well, in 2005 at this stage) and also considering following a course in preparation.

I was checking out a few of those mentioned in these forums as well - mainly those provided by London City University and WLS (Ireland). I haven't actually found any other courses than those two, for now.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried any of these courses (or others if any), for my language combination (English to Italian), or any other. Which course would you recommend, if you recommend a course at all? Is it worth it, even if you already have work experience?

Any advice, suggestions, experiences, etc. would be really appreciated, thanks!

[Edited at 2003-10-24 11:05]
Collapse

Paola Grassi
Paola Grassi
English to Italian
+ ...
IOL training in Milan Sep 25, 2003

dear collegue,

I do not know where you are based, but, as far I know and I can say about your request, the only chance you have, if you want to train for the IOL exam, is to follow a translation course at the British Council.
I personally attended for some years the lessons at the British Council in Milan and my teacher was willing to train the class for the several sessions of translation.
He also gave us some paper sheets with previous exam tests and then checked an
... See more
dear collegue,

I do not know where you are based, but, as far I know and I can say about your request, the only chance you have, if you want to train for the IOL exam, is to follow a translation course at the British Council.
I personally attended for some years the lessons at the British Council in Milan and my teacher was willing to train the class for the several sessions of translation.
He also gave us some paper sheets with previous exam tests and then checked and commented on our results.

Should you need more information, feel free to write to my personal email address.
Bye
Paola
Collapse

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Paola! Sep 25, 2003

I didn't even know the British Council also offered courses, not just the exam itself (my bad - I hadn't checked yet). And indeed, I'm actually near Milan so it would be convenient enough. I'd already taken the IELTS exam there years ago...

I'll send you an email then, Paola, thanks a million!

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I can recommend City U Sep 25, 2003

I did several units via London City U distance learning, German into English, and had a very positive experience. I found them to be well-organized and professional, and I really learned a lot. I'd recommend trying the 10-credit "mini course" option, to see how well you do with the distance learning format (the monetary commitment is minimal this way).

And yes, it is very much worth it in my opinion. Your tutor is likely to spend an inordinate amount of time correcting/commenting o
... See more
I did several units via London City U distance learning, German into English, and had a very positive experience. I found them to be well-organized and professional, and I really learned a lot. I'd recommend trying the 10-credit "mini course" option, to see how well you do with the distance learning format (the monetary commitment is minimal this way).

And yes, it is very much worth it in my opinion. Your tutor is likely to spend an inordinate amount of time correcting/commenting on your translations, and this kind of feedback was invaluable for me.

Best regards,
Michele

[Edited at 2003-09-25 14:13]
Collapse

H.Endres
H.Endres
Spain
Spanish to English
International House Sep 25, 2003

I'm not sure if this'll be the same in Italy but I'm preparing to do the Diploma in Spain and I've done a distance course with International House (language schools)in Barcelona with helpful feedback and lots of past papers for practice.

Cipo (X)
Cipo (X)
German to English
+ ...
I'm studying with WLS Sep 25, 2003

Hi,

I'm studying the certificate in Translation from WLS at the moment and I can definitely recommend it and other courses from WLS. A friend of mine has also done the course in the language pair English-Italian and found it very good. The notes provided are very comprehensive and contact with my tutor has been always very fast and helpful. How fast you complete the course is entirely up to you with the ability to download all the course material and assignments from the website.
... See more
Hi,

I'm studying the certificate in Translation from WLS at the moment and I can definitely recommend it and other courses from WLS. A friend of mine has also done the course in the language pair English-Italian and found it very good. The notes provided are very comprehensive and contact with my tutor has been always very fast and helpful. How fast you complete the course is entirely up to you with the ability to download all the course material and assignments from the website. Hope that helps!

Miriam

Traweb wrote:

Hi all,

I was checking out a few of those mentioned in these forums as well - mainly those provided by London City University and WLS (Ireland). I haven't actually found any other courses than those two, for now.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried any of these courses (or others if any), for my language combination (English to Italian), or any other. Which course would you recommend, if you recommend a course at all? Is it worth it, even if you already have work experience?

Any advice, suggestions, experiences, etc. would be really appreciated, thanks!
Collapse

alx
alx  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:34
English to French
+ ...
Work on your own Sep 26, 2003

I studied at the University of Westminster in London to prepare for this exam but i was extremely disappointed by the low level of requirements (I learned more with my local university and by practising on my own) so save time and money and read read read!

Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
Course not really necessary Sep 30, 2003

I took the IoL exam a few years ago before having worked freelance at all. I ordered several past papers, but didn't do any preparation apart from that and passed the exam with merit. The past papers give you a good idea of what the examiners are looking for, and in my opinion a course isn't really necessary if you are proficient in the language and have some translation experience.

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks (belated) Nov 14, 2003

First of all: apologies for not responding earlier - for some reason I wasn't getting the email alerts about new replies to the thread, and hadn't kept up with it...

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm still considering the options, as I have plenty of time to until the 2005 exam... But in the end I think I'll stick to Alexandra's and TonyT's suggestions to work mostly on my own.
Or rather, first I'll get all the relevant past papers I can, and then see if I can handle it on
... See more
First of all: apologies for not responding earlier - for some reason I wasn't getting the email alerts about new replies to the thread, and hadn't kept up with it...

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm still considering the options, as I have plenty of time to until the 2005 exam... But in the end I think I'll stick to Alexandra's and TonyT's suggestions to work mostly on my own.
Or rather, first I'll get all the relevant past papers I can, and then see if I can handle it on my own or not.

If I do a course, I think I'll go for the Irish WLS like Miriam suggested, because it's rather affordable and most of all, you can choose any time of the year to do the distance courses, whereas London City University has fixed schedules (ditto for the local British Council, which is also too expensive). I'd rather not be tied to deadlines and specific times of the year.

Also, in the meantime I got very helpful respnonses from WLS, they sent me a lot of information, so I'm more inclined towards them.

Many thanks to all for the input, again. It's been very helpful in making up my mind.
Collapse

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
WLS Nov 14, 2003

Miriam Finglass wrote:

Hi,

I'm studying the certificate in Translation from WLS at the moment and I can definitely recommend it and other courses from WLS. A friend of mine has also done the course in the language pair English-Italian and found it very good. The notes provided are very comprehensive and contact with my tutor has been always very fast and helpful. How fast you complete the course is entirely up to you with the ability to download all the course material and assignments from the website.

That is exactly the kind of course I'd prefer. I've only communicated with WLS briefly but I've already been impressed by how responsive and helpful they are.

I also like the way they've organised and split courses.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Distance courses preparing for IOL DipTrans - any advice?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »