Thread poster: Jane Kim
Jane Kim
Jane Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 12:42
English to Korean
Nov 12, 2003

Dear All

I am a kind of beginner as a freelancer, even though I have many years working experience in a well-known localization company.

In my contry(Korea), the certification is not so useful to get a job offer and not many freelancers are interested in getting those certifications. But in Proz, I found quite many agencies are asking certification.

Do you think it is helpful to get an offer? If so, please kindly let me know what kind of certification wou
... See more
Dear All

I am a kind of beginner as a freelancer, even though I have many years working experience in a well-known localization company.

In my contry(Korea), the certification is not so useful to get a job offer and not many freelancers are interested in getting those certifications. But in Proz, I found quite many agencies are asking certification.

Do you think it is helpful to get an offer? If so, please kindly let me know what kind of certification would be good or where I can those information?

Thanks
Jane

[Edited at 2003-11-12 16:24]
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:42
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
What do you mean? Nov 12, 2003

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

I recommend you do an extensive search if there is really no certification body in your country or in a close neighbour country (if costs will be minimal).

NORTH KOREA?????????????????????

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Certification Nov 12, 2003

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

Oxford English Reference Dictionary

Certify (3) Officially declare insane

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Certification Nov 12, 2003

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

I recommend you do an extensive search if there is really no certification body in your country or in a close neighbour country (if costs will be minimal).

Jane Kim
Jane Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 12:42
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
I mean... Nov 12, 2003

I just wanted to know if there any general certification worldwide for translation. We also have that kind of certification body but I am not sure if it has much acknowlegement worldwide.

My question doesn't make sense?

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
The two main ones Nov 12, 2003

Jane Kim wrote:
I just wanted to know if there any general certification worldwide for translation. We also have that kind of certification body but I am not sure if it has much acknowlegement worldwide.

My question doesn't make sense?

No, it's some of your respondents who don't make sense!

The two certifications generally most respected internationally are the ATA examination and the IOL Diploma. Unfortunately, Korean isn't one of the languages covered by the ATA exam. As for the IOL Diploma, you would have to inqure.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
I think the problem was with the phrase "a neighboring country" Nov 12, 2003

Jane, Tayfun said that you could look into obtaining certification in a neighboring country. However, if you live in South Korea, then although North Korea is a neighboring country you couldn't really look for certification there. I think that is what the other respondents were getting at. Your question made perfect sense to me.

Many agencies look for certification as "proof" that the translator can actually translate and that they're not buying the proverbial "pig in a poke" as we
... See more
Jane, Tayfun said that you could look into obtaining certification in a neighboring country. However, if you live in South Korea, then although North Korea is a neighboring country you couldn't really look for certification there. I think that is what the other respondents were getting at. Your question made perfect sense to me.

Many agencies look for certification as "proof" that the translator can actually translate and that they're not buying the proverbial "pig in a poke" as we say in Scotland. Many translators would argue that certification does not necessarily prove that a translator can translate, but that is, to some extent, by the by. If a customer (i.e., an agency) says they want certification, then that is what they should get (as in "the customer is king"). Where the translator should obtain this certification is another matter entirely.

Kind regards,

Alison
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification, helpful? how?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »