Just moved to the U.K. and am looking for work.
Thread poster: Daniel Gonzalez Fernandez
Daniel Gonzalez Fernandez
Daniel Gonzalez Fernandez
Spain
Local time: 03:40
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Nov 14, 2003

I finished a two-year course in translation last summer, and have spent the last year or so working independently, but for only one client in Spain. Now I live in the U.K. and I'd like to find out what the best way of looking for clients is here. My mother tongue is Spanish, but I've always lived abroad and have always studied in English. Those are, therefore, my two "destination" languages, but I am also near-fluent in French and Italian.

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:40
English
+ ...
Good Luck! Nov 14, 2003

I couldn't wait to leave the place 18 years ago, when I moved to Catalunya. And from what I have seen, on frequent visits, it hasn't improved much since.

But I do wish you all the best of British luck in your quest.

Bona Sort,

Berni

.....A self-imposed exile from "The BTB" (the Britain Thatcher Built)

Ron Peek
Ron Peek  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:40
German to English
+ ...
Welcome! -> Browse through 'Getting Established' Forum Nov 14, 2003

Just browse through the 'Getting Established' Forum (Community -> Forums -> Getting established), which includes loads of useful advice, some of which I have (successfully) followed myself.

All the best and good luck!

Ron

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:40
German to English
I started freelancing Nov 15, 2003

after getting hold of Alex Eames book at http://www.translatortips.com/. If you're well established you won't need it but if you're new I found it a lot of help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just moved to the U.K. and am looking for work.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »