Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 28, 2003

I know that there are many postings about PO, but I couldn't find exact answers to my questions.
Is e-mailed (not faxed) PO acceptable?
There is no payment terms in PO I received. Should it be clearly stated there, or e-mail agreement on this matter is enough?

Thanks in advance.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:59
German to English
+ ...
Most of my POs come by e-mail Nov 28, 2003

I very rarely receive POs by fax these days. They nearly all come by e-mail - in either PDF or Word format.

I would imagine that an agreement in writing on payment terms would be sufficient.

Regards

Mary

Doru Voin
Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:59
English to Romanian
+ ...
Have the PO include payment trems Nov 28, 2003

[quote]Natalya Zelikova wrote:
There is no payment terms in PO I received.[quote]

Hi Natalya!

I prefer having the peyment terms included in the PO. And no company has refused including the terms in the PO so far, as long as I'm concerned.

Best regards from Bucharest,
Doru Voin

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:29
English to Hindi
+ ...
POs and so on Nov 28, 2003

Well, emailed POs are fine. Usually, a PO should have terms etc but sometimes, some companies may not bother about it and can still be excellent payers. However, Tayfun is right when he says that a written PO is always important in legal disputes. However, having said that, one should also like to add something more important... I live in India. Now, suppose, if I had to recover an amount of $1000 from a company in US [and $1000 amounts to something when translated in my currency], dooes anyone ... See more
Well, emailed POs are fine. Usually, a PO should have terms etc but sometimes, some companies may not bother about it and can still be excellent payers. However, Tayfun is right when he says that a written PO is always important in legal disputes. However, having said that, one should also like to add something more important... I live in India. Now, suppose, if I had to recover an amount of $1000 from a company in US [and $1000 amounts to something when translated in my currency], dooes anyone think with all written POs and contracts, I would be able to afford to sue a company in US? It would cost me a lot more to sue them. Also, if I approached the embassy or High Commission, there isn't much that they are likely to do.

So, all threats of legal action are in most cases a lot of nuisance value and that will make errant clients pay. More importantly, inall business dealings, whether offline or online, one should exercise a suitable degree of caution.

Roomy
Collapse

nettranslatorde
nettranslatorde
Russian to German
+ ...
Payment terms in PO Nov 29, 2003

Hello Natalja,

I always let new clients state the payment terms in the PO. And no company has refused including the terms in the PO so far. If they refuse, keep away from them!

Good luck,
Kerstin

Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:59
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all. Nov 29, 2003

Thanks for your advices, there was no problem with adding payment terms in the PO from the client's side.

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:59
Georgian to English
+ ...
and probably no one needs reminding Nov 29, 2003

but just in case, don't forget to include agreement about the payment method (and responsibilty for any charges), either in the PO or e-mailed/faxed exchanges between the parties (as well as time).

Giuli

~Eng Russ Geo~

[Edited at 2003-11-29 08:37]

Catherine Harrison
Catherine Harrison  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:59
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
And for the fortunately few clients who won't pay . .. Nov 29, 2003

I think I'm drifting from the subject a bit, but if you have a client in another country who just won't pay you might turn the matter over to an attorney or collection agency (I'm speaking US here); authorize them to make a certain number of calls for a percentage of what they collect. Most often just one or two calls will persuade (former) client to pay, and sometimes it's worth the fee just to know the client didn't get your work for free!

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:59
English to French
A small correction Dec 3, 2003

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

... Most widely accepted payment term is 30 days after invoice (It is also EU standard).

30 days after invoice is not the "European Standard". It is the delay within which the payement should be made, unless prior justified agreement.

The actual recognized standard is payment on invoice. 30 days is an "admin margin", and delays longer then 30 days must be justified, and agreed upon before starting the work.

Now of course, this is theory, but nevertheless, let's keep in mind how it is supposed to be. You work, deliver, send your invoice and get paid.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

E-mailed Purchase Order

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »