Thread poster: dmtrad
dmtrad
dmtrad
Local time: 13:35
English to French
+ ...
Dec 10, 2003

Hello,

I'm a freelance translator in France and I foresee to go to United-States. That's why I would like to know how the freelance system functions in the USA. Is it as complicated as in France?
Thank you for your answers
Have a good day

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Good luck! Dec 10, 2003

Unless you have family or some other sponsor, you will have a very difficult time getting a visa to live, let alone work, in the USA. The first thing to do is of course contact the US embassy or consulate, whichever is closest to you. Did you see the previous post on the subject? Here is the link. http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&ViewTopic&post=26826#26826

It will
... See more
Unless you have family or some other sponsor, you will have a very difficult time getting a visa to live, let alone work, in the USA. The first thing to do is of course contact the US embassy or consulate, whichever is closest to you. Did you see the previous post on the subject? Here is the link. http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&ViewTopic&post=26826#26826

It will take a lot of time to get a visa, so be patient. It took almost a year for my husband to get a green card to be able to immigrate to the US, but that was back in the 70's, so maybe things have changed. We only stayed for four years since it was easier for him to work in France (he is not a linguist!).
Anyway, good luck!

Gayle
Collapse

mbc
mbc
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
get informed in your home country Dec 11, 2003

Hello, Last year I began the process of getting my Catalan husband a greencard. It is very complicated and we are STILL waiting. I have several Spanish friends who have gotten visas without having any relatives in the States though. It is key to be patient and to get all the information you can from the US Embassy in your home country. They are nicer BEFORE you enter, once in the States you risk big trouble, especially after September 11. I wish you all the best and certainly hope you will get t... See more
Hello, Last year I began the process of getting my Catalan husband a greencard. It is very complicated and we are STILL waiting. I have several Spanish friends who have gotten visas without having any relatives in the States though. It is key to be patient and to get all the information you can from the US Embassy in your home country. They are nicer BEFORE you enter, once in the States you risk big trouble, especially after September 11. I wish you all the best and certainly hope you will get to go/live/work to the States, even though the paperwork is a nightmare I´m sure it will be a good experience in the long run.
Stay strong!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get established in USA?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »