Taboo subject?? How much should one charge for translation work?
Thread poster: Jamesw
Jamesw
Jamesw
Spain
Local time: 15:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 7, 2002

It seems a bit taboo because nobody has touched on this subject in this forum, so sorry if I step on anyones\' toes.

I\'d like to know how much one should charge for translation work. How should it be charged: by the word, by the hour or as a whole project?

As I am new to this I would appreciate any help. If someone wishes to, you can send me an email at [email protected]
... See more
It seems a bit taboo because nobody has touched on this subject in this forum, so sorry if I step on anyones\' toes.

I\'d like to know how much one should charge for translation work. How should it be charged: by the word, by the hour or as a whole project?

As I am new to this I would appreciate any help. If someone wishes to, you can send me an email at [email protected]

Thanks
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:35
SITE FOUNDER
Go to the 'money matters' section. Mar 7, 2002

Prices have been discusssed there.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 10:35
German to English
+ ...
Reply to James Mar 8, 2002

Some input (personal opinion):

- don\'t sell yourself short

- charge by the word; rates by the hour may lead to haggling (\"I can\'t believe it took you 23 hours!\"). Rates based on the word count are more objective and reliable. Many clients have very little knowledge of our work; charging them for the total number of words is something they can more easily relate to.

- set your rates at a level that you are comfortable with (taking
... See more
Some input (personal opinion):

- don\'t sell yourself short

- charge by the word; rates by the hour may lead to haggling (\"I can\'t believe it took you 23 hours!\"). Rates based on the word count are more objective and reliable. Many clients have very little knowledge of our work; charging them for the total number of words is something they can more easily relate to.

- set your rates at a level that you are comfortable with (taking into consideration your overheads, other expenses, living standards, amount of time invested in translating and professional development, etc.)
Collapse

lorenas
lorenas
Local time: 14:35
English to Spanish
where? Apr 9, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-07 22:21, Henry wrote:

Prices have been discusssed there.

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:35
English to Spanish
In the money matters section :-) Apr 9, 2002

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewforum&eid_c=3087&forum=8&903

There\'s the link (but you\'ll have to check thread by thread).

Cheers,

Andrea

ivw (X)
ivw (X)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
posting without a name? Apr 9, 2002

Quote:

On [xx], [xx] wrote:

Re. \"Where\" (in the subject), n/m -

I wonder how this was possible to post with no name, no date, no message? Not that I want to try it, just curious!

Ildiko V-W

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:35
English to Spanish
To ivw... Apr 9, 2002

There is no name because the poster has just signed up with ProZ. In a few days the name will show and we will all know...

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Taboo subject?? How much should one charge for translation work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »