Thread poster: YamiL
YamiL
YamiL  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 15, 2003

Hello everybody. My name is Yamila and I am from Argentina. This is my first post here so I wanted to introduce myself to all of you and tell you that I am very happy to be part of this amazing community. I have just finished my translation studies at university and I feel a little lost. I haven't worked before as a translator, at least not professionally and I do not know where to start. Should I send my resumé to translation agencies or is it better to try to contact direct clients? And if s... See more
Hello everybody. My name is Yamila and I am from Argentina. This is my first post here so I wanted to introduce myself to all of you and tell you that I am very happy to be part of this amazing community. I have just finished my translation studies at university and I feel a little lost. I haven't worked before as a translator, at least not professionally and I do not know where to start. Should I send my resumé to translation agencies or is it better to try to contact direct clients? And if so, how can I do this? I know this is not a simple question and you may find it silly but I could really use some help from experienced translators or from any person who feels just like me and would like to share.
Im specialized in law but would also like to specialize in business. Do you know of any on-line course I can take?

Thank you very much!

Yamila
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some first steps Dec 15, 2003

YamiL wrote:
I haven't worked before as a translator, at least not professionally and I do not know where to start.

One thing you can do is to put together a portfolio. Translate a few paragraphs each of several different texts relating to topics that you are interested in. You can use publically available texts such as standard contracts; media articles; texts from the internet, such as corporate websites, etc.

Should I send my resumé to translation agencies or is it better to try to contact direct clients?

Yes, and yes. There is no need to choose one or the other. It is useful to have a mix of agency and direct clients, for each one has its advantages.

And if so, how can I do this?

For agencies, try the yellow pages in your telephone directory. Call each agency in turn, introducing yourself. Ask whether they would prefer to receive your resumé by fax, e-mail or regular post. Ask for the name of the person you should address it to.

For direct clients, have your business cards printed, if you don't already have some. Give your family (and perhaps close friends) a supply, and encourage them to hand them out. If they are talking to someone who might need a translator, they will say (if properly coached by you), "Oh, my sister/daughter/friend/cousin/sister-in-law is a translator! Maybe she can help you. Here is her card." You yourself, too, can do the same. Every time you meet someone, whether socially or in the course of business, if the conversation should turn to professions, it provides a perfect opening for you to mention what you do (without being pushy) and give them your card. Would your dentist, your doctor, your plumber, your neighbourhood storekeeper, etc. be willing to keep a few of your cards on hand? Ask them! Click here for some interesting and creative business card ideas.

All these strategies are for local clients. To search the internet for potential agency clients around the world, try searches on phrases like "traducción español inglés", "traductor español inglés", "traducciones español inglés" and other similar ones (without the quotes). You will find many translation agency sites, and they will often have information about where to send your resumé, or even an on-line form for prospective translators to fill out and submit.

[Edited at 2003-12-15 23:26]

YamiL
YamiL  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Dec 16, 2003

I really would like to thank you for replying so soon. I have written down every piece of advice and I am willing to put them into practise now. I know it takes some patience on the way but I love translating and I will try my best. I hope it works and brings about good results. Thanks again!

Yamila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First steps in the translation business. Need advice

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »