belonging to an association of translators
Thread poster: cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 4, 2004

Hello all!
I was wondering if there are some translators who are from France and who established themselves as Freelande translators in Canada.
I am a French citizen currently living in Canada. I would like to stay here, and I was wondering if I needed to be part of a association of translators in order to do that.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Happy new year!

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:28
English to German
+ ...
CTIC Jan 4, 2004

Hello Cendrine,
While I'm not from France but from Germany, I would recomend you become a member of one of the provincial translators' organizations(ATIO in Ontario, STIBC in British Columbia). The umbrella orgsnization CTlC represents the interests of its members at the national level in matters such as copyright for translators and relations between the federal Translation Bureau and other government departments.

On a provincial level, these societies or organizations offer
... See more
Hello Cendrine,
While I'm not from France but from Germany, I would recomend you become a member of one of the provincial translators' organizations(ATIO in Ontario, STIBC in British Columbia). The umbrella orgsnization CTlC represents the interests of its members at the national level in matters such as copyright for translators and relations between the federal Translation Bureau and other government departments.

On a provincial level, these societies or organizations offer annual certification exams. If you can prove that you have at least 5 years experience as a professional translator, you can apply for "Certification on Dossier". The titles of certified translator, certified conference interpreter, certified court interpreter and certified terminologist are now protected by law in New Brunswick, Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia where ATIO, CTINB, OTTIAQ and STIBC have gained legal professional recognition by their provincial governments; this means that certified translators can apply their seal to legal documents and are able to work for law firms (and charge the appropriate fees!)To find out more visit the CTIC website:
http://www.synapse.net/ctic/index.html.
Good luck and welcome in Canada!
Collapse

cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
belonging to an association of translators Jan 4, 2004

Thank you Johanna!
The problem is that I started translating professionally a year ago, and I can just show my bachelor in translation and the translations I have done for companies.
I would like to know if some accreditation exists, such as a test to be written in order to be recognised as a professional translator.
What do I need to do if I want to be established as an independent translator in Canada?
Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Johanna Timm, PhD
Canada
English to German
+ ...
depends on the province.... Jan 4, 2004

I just know the guidelines of BC's Society of Translators and Interpreters:
Submit your documents (BA, transcripts, résumé and a cheque in the amount of $150.00 (plus GST $10.50) = $160.50. Once your documents have been accepted, there is a pro-rated membership fee of $10 per month, payable up to and including December 31.
You would then pay the membership fee each year after that in order to stay as a member in good standing.

To become a certified member, you need t
... See more
I just know the guidelines of BC's Society of Translators and Interpreters:
Submit your documents (BA, transcripts, résumé and a cheque in the amount of $150.00 (plus GST $10.50) = $160.50. Once your documents have been accepted, there is a pro-rated membership fee of $10 per month, payable up to and including December 31.
You would then pay the membership fee each year after that in order to stay as a member in good standing.

To become a certified member, you need to to write the admission exam, which is held twice a year (April and September). If you pass this exam, then you would be known as an Associate Member. The admission exam fee is $160.50 (includes GST). Depending on when you get your marks back, there is a membership pro- rated fee of $10 per month if you get a mark of 70% or higher. In order to become a certified member(and acquire the coveted seal)you must
a) have a degree in translation from a recognized University in Canada and you need 1 year's experience translating full time.
b)If you do not have such a degree, you need 3 years' experience translating full time before you can even sit for the certification exam.

Mind you, these requirements are valid for BC only-
if you're in Ontario, check the ATIO website:
http://www.atio.on.ca/info/membership.html
for New Brunswick check:
http://www.ctinb.nb.ca/eng/welcome.htm
Quebec:
http://www.ottiaq.org/

Bonne chance!
johanna
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 18:28
Dutch to English
+ ...
Alberta Jan 4, 2004

The rules are pretty much the same in Alberta although fees may by slightly different. The ATIA home page is:
http://atia.ab.ca

cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
belonging to an association of translators Jan 4, 2004

Thanks a lot for your replies. I live in Manitoba. Do you know what happens in this province?

Johanna Timm, PhD
Canada
English to German
+ ...
check this site Jan 5, 2004

http://atim.mb.ca/english/frameset.html

[Edited at 2004-01-05 02:17]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

belonging to an association of translators

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »