TRADL
TRADL
France
Local time: 21:05
English to French
+ ...
Jan 5, 2004

Hi everyone,
I already set up a forum over a year ago asking about setting up as a freelancer in the UK but now as I am about to FINALLY do it, I'd like a bit more advice/info.
I have now been on the Inland Revenue website and have asked to attend one of those seminars for self-employed. I will also soon be sent the "No non-sense Guide" which is about starting up (published by the Dept Of Trade). What next? I will be a proper freelancer 8 weeks from now in theory. I am planning on ge
... See more
Hi everyone,
I already set up a forum over a year ago asking about setting up as a freelancer in the UK but now as I am about to FINALLY do it, I'd like a bit more advice/info.
I have now been on the Inland Revenue website and have asked to attend one of those seminars for self-employed. I will also soon be sent the "No non-sense Guide" which is about starting up (published by the Dept Of Trade). What next? I will be a proper freelancer 8 weeks from now in theory. I am planning on getting a few more dictionaries, having a filing system for my work/accounts etc., sending my CV around, am ordering a very nice comfy chair. There are so many things to think about. All thoughts welcome. And I also have a precise question: if I get a lot of payments from the Continent in Euros and thus use my French bank account for them, how does it work taxwise? Do I have to declare it in the UK? in France? Not at all?!!
Thank you for your insights/help!
A. Lentieul
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:05
German to English
+ ...
Declare everything! Jan 6, 2004

Setting up as a freelancer in the UK is pretty straightforward! All you need to do is register with the relevant tax authorities and keep exact records of all income and outgoings.

As for the account in France, you need to declare all your earnings. Effectively, the work is earned in this country even if payment is made in France. But having a euro account does make life a lot easier in terms of getting payment from euro-land.

Good luck!

Mary

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Setting up business in the UK

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »