Questions concerning networking of translators
Thread poster: cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 6, 2004

Hello all!

I have a question that has been on my mind for quite a while.

What do you think about networking between translators? Is it useful?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:11
English to German
+ ...
Very much so Jan 6, 2004

Salut Cendrine,
I consider networking essential to being commercially successful in translation.

Networking with other professionals allows you to take on more interesting (and more rewarding) assignments - together you're able to add more value than many agencies that limit themselves to the role of a broker.

The challenge is in finding the right people to network with (a connection to the wrong people will harm your reputation, too...), and to organise the netwo
... See more
Salut Cendrine,
I consider networking essential to being commercially successful in translation.

Networking with other professionals allows you to take on more interesting (and more rewarding) assignments - together you're able to add more value than many agencies that limit themselves to the role of a broker.

The challenge is in finding the right people to network with (a connection to the wrong people will harm your reputation, too...), and to organise the network accordingly. Many networks I know of work on a peer-to-peer basis, where all participants are equal team members - I run my own business in a slightly different fashion, whereby I assume all functions you could summarise under project management (provision and development of infrastructure, marketing, pricing, project assignment).

HTH - Ralf
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
First define "networking". Jan 12, 2004

Cendrine Marrouat:
What do you think about networking between translators? Is it useful?

The problem with this question is that "networking" can mean so many different things. I have, for example, looked forward to the networking in the translation association I joined, just to discover two years later that the existing executive of the association has a very different idea of what "networking" is.

So... what is "networking" to you? Does it mean simply getting to know fellow translators personally? Does it mean sharing jobs? Exchanging just absolutely essential tips, or exchanging views as well?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions concerning networking of translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »