Arben Seva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:16
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Jan 12, 2004

Hello everybody,

I have been asked to translate some one line slogans for comercial products by a regular client of mine. The lines are very short and they send them to me one by one. I did the first for free but now they are sending me more and asking for a price. Can anybody suggest a charging method? I can do this for free and keep my client happy as they sent me large projects before. Any suggestion will help.
Thanks a lot.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apply a low minimum rate Jan 12, 2004

Arben Seva:
I have been asked to translate some one line slogans for comercial products by a regular client of mine. The lines are very short and they send them to me one by one. I did the first for free but now they are sending me more and asking for a price.

For small jobs you should have a minimum rate. However, since a minimum rate acts as a discourager for sending small jobs, you should have a special minimum rate for one-liner jobs. Don't simply raise your per-word rate. Determine a low minimum rate for slogans, and use the normal per-word rate for any text longer than that minimum.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:16
English to Turkish
+ ...
Slogan adaptation is no small job Jan 12, 2004

It's a highly skilled creative activity that requires linguistic competence, imagination, sociological knowledge, awareness of potential cultural biases, among others. Don't do it for free, just imagine how many years of your labor and education lie behind one catchy sentence you find - even if it just occurred to you in a second! I suggest you do a thorough research before fixing a price criterion, and ask the advice of any copywriters you know. Charging by the hour seems more reasonable here, ... See more
It's a highly skilled creative activity that requires linguistic competence, imagination, sociological knowledge, awareness of potential cultural biases, among others. Don't do it for free, just imagine how many years of your labor and education lie behind one catchy sentence you find - even if it just occurred to you in a second! I suggest you do a thorough research before fixing a price criterion, and ask the advice of any copywriters you know. Charging by the hour seems more reasonable here, charging by the line or setting a fixed amount per slogan might misguide you in the long run: what if a day comes that you cannot find a good one after brainstorming for a week?Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
My experience Jan 12, 2004

In 1972 there was this slogan contest for Neko soap marketed by Parke Davis. We were supposed to send a slogan for this medical soap along with 3 empty covers of the soap cake. I collected the covers from my room-mates and sent a slogan of less than 10 words for which I won a black and white TV set. The point I want to make is simple. It is a highly creative work and has to be treated with respect. It is better to contact an advertisement copywriter for this type of work.
Regards,
N.
... See more
In 1972 there was this slogan contest for Neko soap marketed by Parke Davis. We were supposed to send a slogan for this medical soap along with 3 empty covers of the soap cake. I collected the covers from my room-mates and sent a slogan of less than 10 words for which I won a black and white TV set. The point I want to make is simple. It is a highly creative work and has to be treated with respect. It is better to contact an advertisement copywriter for this type of work.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:16
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Translating Slogans is fun, but difficult Jan 12, 2004

I usually charge per hour, because it takes a long time to translate a slogan, make it sound right and keep its meaning.
Monika

Arben Seva
Arben Seva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:16
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Jan 12, 2004

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing one line slogans

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »