Translation tests: agency (knowingly) gave me a test longer than the maximum length I will do
Thread poster: cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 12, 2004

Dear ALL!
I know the subject has already been broached, but I wanted to talk about it again.
I wrote a translation company to offer my services as an independent translator. The answer came fast and the person seemed very nice. She proposed me to write a test. I explained to her that i ddin't accept tests that were longer than a page (or 300 words), because I was afraid they would not answer me.
The person was nice and gave me their word that they would answer me as soon as pos
... See more
Dear ALL!
I know the subject has already been broached, but I wanted to talk about it again.
I wrote a translation company to offer my services as an independent translator. The answer came fast and the person seemed very nice. She proposed me to write a test. I explained to her that i ddin't accept tests that were longer than a page (or 300 words), because I was afraid they would not answer me.
The person was nice and gave me their word that they would answer me as soon as possible.
And, then, came the test: 628 words or 3 pages, to do in 24 HOURS!!!!!
So, what do you think? As far as I'm concerned, I think they want to give me an assignment that will be free of charge to them!!!!
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:15
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Forget them. Jan 12, 2004

Is my opinion.
Regards
Andrzej

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:15
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do not do it for free Jan 12, 2004

To be very nice does not cost anything!

Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:15
English to French
Sometimes I do more but.... Jan 12, 2004

Sometime the agency sends you more words but on different subject.... You can have 300 for finance, 300 marketing, 300 general.
When this occurs I only do the one related to my specializations and mention that I did not do this part or that part because I usualy don't take these kind of texts....
Good luck

Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
don't do it Jan 12, 2004

Hi,
I think a test translation is fine. As a freelance translator I have always done them for free, providing they were no more than 300 words and I got a realistic time frame.
My experience is that trustworthy agencies give you sufficient time and need no more than 200-400 words.

I am now running an agency myself and I ask new translators to do a small test translation for free within two weeks. That seems reasonable for me.

Good luck,
Saskia

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
To me it looks like they're looking for a freebie. Jan 12, 2004

Why else would they want it returned in 24 hours?

You could reply that you'll gladly do half of it within a week - just to see how they react.

I think they're expecting too much.

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:15
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
I Jan 12, 2004

An agency from UAE contacted me a while ago and asked for a free test 590 word translation. I told them that I could do this if they accept to pay charges and they agreed.

I have never heard of them after submitting the file, no payment has been made.

This was a very small amount but I assigned a debt collector to follow the case as I felt pretty much insulted and tricked.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stick to your limit Jan 12, 2004

You can do a part of the text approximately equal to your limit of 300 words. If this is sincerely a test, they will be able to judge your quality by the sample you translate. If they actually are after a free translation, they will not get it, and wouldn't you be better off without them?

Mark Oliver
Mark Oliver  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:15
Indonesian to English
+ ...
don't do it Jan 12, 2004

I think your initial limit of 300 words is perfectly reasonable; perhaps you could simply stop after 300 words.

Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 09:15
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Do not do it again :-) Jan 12, 2004

Recently, I faced the same story here, in Georgia. IRD (the formal intrenational institution being funded by USAID or TACIS or alike) has placed an announcement regarding the translation of a book (or manual).

To my great surprise, they have requested a sample translation in 16 pages.)) Despite that was formal announcement, I clarified that giving them a phone call.

"No", - said a woman, - "that is right.
... See more
Recently, I faced the same story here, in Georgia. IRD (the formal intrenational institution being funded by USAID or TACIS or alike) has placed an announcement regarding the translation of a book (or manual).

To my great surprise, they have requested a sample translation in 16 pages.)) Despite that was formal announcement, I clarified that giving them a phone call.

"No", - said a woman, - "that is right. We need a sample translation in 16 pages."!!!

"OK", - said I, - "thanks a lot".

Moral:
Never let a bitch(s) to dupe you.
Collapse

Isabelle73
Isabelle73
United States
Local time: 00:15
English to French
+ ...
Do not do it for free Jan 12, 2004

Either you reply that you would do it for a charge - or you reply you will only give back 300 words of their text within your usual deadline for samples. This way they cannot say you did not show good-will and if they are not ethical and wish to obtain free services, they are out of luck... and you are better off not working for them.
Good luck,
let us know how it turns out or if you find out they were not ethical so that we mgiht avoid making their acquaintance ;o)
Thank you,<
... See more
Either you reply that you would do it for a charge - or you reply you will only give back 300 words of their text within your usual deadline for samples. This way they cannot say you did not show good-will and if they are not ethical and wish to obtain free services, they are out of luck... and you are better off not working for them.
Good luck,
let us know how it turns out or if you find out they were not ethical so that we mgiht avoid making their acquaintance ;o)
Thank you,
Isabelle
Collapse

cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
about a translation test Jan 12, 2004

Hello all!
Thanks a lot for your answers!
The thing I did was first to answer the company that i needed more than one day to do the translation.
I can check of someone opened my mail or read it, with my internet server. And the person had opened it. No answer came within 2 hours. So, I finally declined the offer, and once again the person read the email, but no answer whatsoever.
I think the person was looking for a free of charge translator.
Thanks again to all of
... See more
Hello all!
Thanks a lot for your answers!
The thing I did was first to answer the company that i needed more than one day to do the translation.
I can check of someone opened my mail or read it, with my internet server. And the person had opened it. No answer came within 2 hours. So, I finally declined the offer, and once again the person read the email, but no answer whatsoever.
I think the person was looking for a free of charge translator.
Thanks again to all of you!
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:45
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Saved by email Jan 13, 2004

One software solutions company in Chennai, India, asked me to do test translation of 2 pages, each containing 700 words! I translated just 200 words and told them if they wanted more, they better pay for the same. After a gap of one year, they again sent me 2 pages of a file scanned into PDF format, saying the wordcount was 300 only. At that time I got an email from an agency in Bangalore warning potential translators against the software solutions company in question. It seems that this Chennai... See more
One software solutions company in Chennai, India, asked me to do test translation of 2 pages, each containing 700 words! I translated just 200 words and told them if they wanted more, they better pay for the same. After a gap of one year, they again sent me 2 pages of a file scanned into PDF format, saying the wordcount was 300 only. At that time I got an email from an agency in Bangalore warning potential translators against the software solutions company in question. It seems that this Chennai company is in the habit of not at all paying the translators. Evidently I didn't do the work and asked for advance payment before taking up their job. I didn't hear anything from them.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
consolidate Jan 15, 2004

cendrine marrouat wrote:

Dear ALL!
The person was nice and gave me their word that they would answer me as soon as possible.
And, then, came the test: 628 words or 3 pages, to do in 24 HOURS!!!!!
So, what do you think? As far as I'm concerned, I think they want to give me an assignment that will be free of charge to them!!!!
Hi! tell them to consolidate the original from 600 odd words to 1/10 level. Then it is their responsibility, to assess their own ability. Later ask for a quality standard they might need. This is not always the nicest way of putting things. I had customers sending me 60 pages for sampling, and requested me to do so much of sampling as I can. Then they should send me a p.o at 300% the quotation, if the work comes through 2/3rd will be balanced again the project value. That by god did work. It is sometimes better to call a Devil a Devil.
wish you good nerves and cool mind.
bandi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation tests: agency (knowingly) gave me a test longer than the maximum length I will do

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »