Thread poster: Karelle Gilbert
Karelle Gilbert
Karelle Gilbert
Local time: 17:28
German to French
+ ...
Jan 12, 2004

Hello,

I'm a Franch translator living in Germany and I'm planning to move to Norway within a few months. Who can give me advice on:

- the administrative steps to register as a self-employed
- the legal and business rules: VAT (clients only abroad), tax, health insurance..
- the practical aspects: ADSL, professional liability insurance, ...

Many thanks in advance,
Karelle

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Some tips Jan 12, 2004

Here are some tips:

You can register an individual enterprise for free online: https://nbr.brreg.no/finer/SelectTemplate.jsp

This is an new service, and I have been told that you will have your registration done within a couple of weeks. There is no cost for this since you only need to be listed in "Enhetsregisteret".

Regarding VAT: You only add VAT on
... See more
Here are some tips:

You can register an individual enterprise for free online: https://nbr.brreg.no/finer/SelectTemplate.jsp

This is an new service, and I have been told that you will have your registration done within a couple of weeks. There is no cost for this since you only need to be listed in "Enhetsregisteret".

Regarding VAT: You only add VAT on your invoices when you have Norwegian customers. All other customers are to be billed with a 0% VAT (Export). If you buy for instance a PC in Norway the VAT is refundable. But you have to earn 50 000 NOK within the last 12 months to obliged to do so.

[Edited at 2004-01-12 19:59]
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Is it real or a joke? Jan 12, 2004

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

This is an new service, and I have been told that you will have your registration done within a **couple of weeks**.

Do they use snail mail, or?
Regards
Andrzej

Kristin Weholt
Kristin Weholt
English to Norwegian
Re: Starting up in Norway Jan 12, 2004

Dear Karelle,

I advise you to have a look at www.brreg.no for more information on how to get started in Norway. Click at the "English" button in the right corner. You will probably find all information you need there.

Good luck, and welcome to Norway!

Best wishes,
Kristin
www.ordbruket.no

Karelle Gilbert wrote:

Hello,

I'm a Franch translator living in Germany and I'm planning to move to Norway within a few months. Who can give me advice on:

- the administrative steps to register as a self-employed
- the legal and business rules: VAT (clients only abroad), tax, health insurance..
- the practical aspects: ADSL, professional liability insurance, ...

Many thanks in advance,
Karelle

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
No joke Jan 13, 2004

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

This is an new service, and I have been told that you will have your registration done within a **couple of weeks**.

Do they use snail mail, or?
Regards
Andrzej

This is not a joke. They used to use snail mail, and after sending in the application it took from 4 to 6 weeks before they replied. I do not think that two weeks is a long time to establish written proof that you own a company.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started in Norway

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »