Translation of web sites
Thread poster: Cecilia Aguila
Cecilia Aguila
Cecilia Aguila
Local time: 12:42
English to Spanish
Jan 14, 2004

Hi everybody:

I'm sure there has been a thread on this before but I can't find it right now. First of all, let me make it clear that I'm completely green at translating web pages. I have TRADOS and I'm trying to learn how to deal with web sites. Let's see... if a client asks you to translate his web site, do you just download all the pages from the URL he gives you and translate them with Tag Editor? I've tried using Tag Editor with different pages and seems pretty simple. Do you th
... See more
Hi everybody:

I'm sure there has been a thread on this before but I can't find it right now. First of all, let me make it clear that I'm completely green at translating web pages. I have TRADOS and I'm trying to learn how to deal with web sites. Let's see... if a client asks you to translate his web site, do you just download all the pages from the URL he gives you and translate them with Tag Editor? I've tried using Tag Editor with different pages and seems pretty simple. Do you then just send the translated pages to your client and that's it? Or am I missing a part here?

Thanks a lot for your time!
Cecilia.

[Edited at 2004-01-14 15:29]
Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:42
French to English
Ask for the files Jan 14, 2004

Hi Cecilia,

The safest thing to do is to ask your client for the files, because they will send you exactly what needs to be translated. There's too much room for error if you have to download the files yourselves.

I can't help you out with the Trados part of your question, sorry - I don't use it myself.

HTH,

Erika

Marina Zinno
Marina Zinno  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:42
French to Italian
+ ...
tageditor Jan 14, 2004

tageditor is simple and user friendly for simple translation.
I use to translate html pages with tageditor and send them to the client in my language!
That's it

i do not know how to deal with other pc languages different from HTML, let's say asp... maybe someone else could help us on that!

Bruce Capelle
Bruce Capelle  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:42
Spanish to French
+ ...
Tag Editor Jan 14, 2004

Hi,

You need to have Translator's Workbench running as well as Tag Editor. Open your page in Tag Editor, translate it and don't forget to clean it (Tools > Clean up, whithin Workbench) before sending it back to your client. I usually use the Word spellcheck feature to check my translation for typos and other spelling errors. To do so, open your translated document, copy it and paste it in Word and perform the spellcheck from there but don't forget to make the necessary changes in yo
... See more
Hi,

You need to have Translator's Workbench running as well as Tag Editor. Open your page in Tag Editor, translate it and don't forget to clean it (Tools > Clean up, whithin Workbench) before sending it back to your client. I usually use the Word spellcheck feature to check my translation for typos and other spelling errors. To do so, open your translated document, copy it and paste it in Word and perform the spellcheck from there but don't forget to make the necessary changes in your translation and not in Word. Once your page is translated, you can also automatically check for double spaces as Workbench has a tendency to ad some between the translation units: you just need to use the find and replace feature (CTRL+H) to find double spaces and replace them with single ones. Hope I'm clear! Good Luck!

Bruce
Collapse

Cecilia Aguila
Cecilia Aguila
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jan 14, 2004

Thank you Erika and Bruce for the tips. I hadn't thought about asking the client for the files! As per using Word's spell checker, it seems a good possibility since there's no way I can make my Tag Editor check it! So that's it! It wasn't that difficult after all

Thank you!
Cecilia

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the site Jan 14, 2004

It may indeed be that simple if the website has few pages, and all the text is coded in html.

Complications that could arise on more complex sites:

-large sites - it may be hard to find the links to all the pages - how can you be sure you reached them all? - better to ask the client to send you the files

- if you have to download many files yourself, it takes time - don't neglect to charge for it

-frames - framed files can be downloaded, but
... See more
It may indeed be that simple if the website has few pages, and all the text is coded in html.

Complications that could arise on more complex sites:

-large sites - it may be hard to find the links to all the pages - how can you be sure you reached them all? - better to ask the client to send you the files

- if you have to download many files yourself, it takes time - don't neglect to charge for it

-frames - framed files can be downloaded, but it may take an extra step

-java - e.g. forms, pages generated on-the-fly

-text in image files

If you can't access the text, you may need to ask the client (or the client's webmaster) to send you the text to be translated.
Collapse

Cecilia Aguila
Cecilia Aguila
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all Jan 15, 2004

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. Now I know there still are some things I have to learn about this issue. Thanks Goodwords for being so clear and to Marina too!

Cecilia.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of web sites

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »