Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 07:17
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: excessive concerns Jul 16, 2010

Hello Jennifer,

You raise a lot of valid points. It wasn't my intent when I started this thread to trigger an agency-bashing session. The concept was just unfamiliar and I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with SpeakLike or similar companys, as it did sound to me at least, a bit suspicious. I was however comforted by the fact that a representative entered the thread to explain the concept and provide some clarity; I don't think a company with dubious intent would go throug
... See more
Hello Jennifer,

You raise a lot of valid points. It wasn't my intent when I started this thread to trigger an agency-bashing session. The concept was just unfamiliar and I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with SpeakLike or similar companys, as it did sound to me at least, a bit suspicious. I was however comforted by the fact that a representative entered the thread to explain the concept and provide some clarity; I don't think a company with dubious intent would go through the trouble.

And from what I understand so far, while their rates won't allow you to buy that villa in Spain you've always wanted, it is good to keep busy during a slow period. Or as in my case, just starting as a freelancer, a good experience builder.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Managing the queue Jul 16, 2010

I have two quick questions for the SpeakLike team. I hope Paul sees this.

I understand that there is a queue of tasks that evolves constantly. As you expect to deliver a translation 1-2 hours maximum, how do you ensure that the right translator works on a particular translation?

I mean that in specific customers, a reasonably accurate translation might require knowledge that might be available only with some translators, not all the translators in a pair. Do you
... See more

I understand that there is a queue of tasks that evolves constantly. As you expect to deliver a translation 1-2 hours maximum, how do you ensure that the right translator works on a particular translation?

I mean that in specific customers, a reasonably accurate translation might require knowledge that might be available only with some translators, not all the translators in a pair. Do you have any way of identifying trickier translations and routing them to more knowledgeable translators?

[Edited at 2010-07-16 10:11 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandre Maricato
Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 02:17
English to Portuguese
Just to make a point clear Jul 16, 2010

Jennifer, just to make clear of my observations:

I didn't say they USED an automatic translation, as it would be quite ridiculous. What I said is that it SEEMED an automatic translation.

With this, I meant that, assuming any agency requires their highest standards to promote THEIR OWN SERVICES, I fear for the quality they are able to deliver to costumerss.

For tweets or private mail its ok, but as they advertise services for business documentation, mobile
... See more
Jennifer, just to make clear of my observations:

I didn't say they USED an automatic translation, as it would be quite ridiculous. What I said is that it SEEMED an automatic translation.

With this, I meant that, assuming any agency requires their highest standards to promote THEIR OWN SERVICES, I fear for the quality they are able to deliver to costumerss.

For tweets or private mail its ok, but as they advertise services for business documentation, mobile apps, and etc, it looks those who pay for that are assuming the risk of losing big money or even harming their brands.
Collapse

Hello from SpeakLike again... Jul 21, 2010

Hi All, sorry for delay in responding. It's been a busy few days here at SpeakLike! (We're working very hard to roll out new features/on-boarding many new translators/and improving our portfolio of products: http://www.speaklike.com/products/)

Jennifer, thanks again for your post! As mentioned in a separate email, you're absolutely correct, professional translators will always be critica
... See more
Hi All, sorry for delay in responding. It's been a busy few days here at SpeakLike! (We're working very hard to roll out new features/on-boarding many new translators/and improving our portfolio of products: http://www.speaklike.com/products/)

Jennifer, thanks again for your post! As mentioned in a separate email, you're absolutely correct, professional translators will always be critical for high level translations. As to the point about our Style Guide, you're on the mark here too. The SpeakLike Style Guide allows our customers to identify specific terminology, language tone, etc. This level of client participation makes the translation process smoother for translators and ultimately leads to better translations.

As for the comments about translation on our own site, this is of course very important for us. We've been upgrading our WordPress plug-in (http://www.speaklike.com/products/wordpress) and making changes internally to our site, so the problem really is a technical one and not a reflection of our translators. This is on high priority for us and we're looking to makes changes asap.

Tomas, thanks for the question about the way we prioritize jobs. Translation requests that are submitted from our public users are queued on a first come-first translate bases. Having said that, we also have multiple systems in place for smart routing of jobs based on expertise and level of SpeakLike participation. In addition, our dedicated Production Management Team oversees specialized groups of higher level translators who work on premium accounts. Speed and Quality are equally important for us, so we're always trying to fine tune the translation management process.

Thanks to everyone for the great comments, suggestions, and feedback. We take it all to heart and promise to consider everything mentioned here. Again, if you have further questions, feel free to reach out to us!

Cheers and Happy Translating,

Paul
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Bear in mind: Y/our professional reputation is at stake... Jul 21, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I mean that in specific customers, a reasonably accurate translation might require knowledge that might be available only with some translators, not all the translators in a pair. Do you have any way of identifying trickier translations and routing them to more knowledgeable translators?

[Edited at 2010-07-16 10:11 GMT]

My apologies for my very poor English. But when I see some translations like Privacy and Terminology Manager (Gestor de privacidad y terminología) translated as Jefe de la Privacidad y Terminología (Privacy and Terminology Boss), I do not know whether to laugh or cry.

What is clear to me, is that I would never work for a company like that. My reputation (I would not say it is a good nor a bad one, but I am quite satisfied with) as a translator gained over many years in the profession would go to hell in minutes. And honestly, I do not think it would be the best way to enter the translation market to get a «professional curriculum». Please, look at the post title.

[Editado a las 2010-07-21 12:59 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:17
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
SpeakLike rates Jul 21, 2010

They don't disclose what they pay to the translators, but you can get an idea by looking at what they charge their clients. You can find this info under "Plans and rates".

If the SpeakLike rep is reading this, I would like to mention that it is not clear whether the price the client has to pay is calculated on the basis of source or target volume. Also, the Japanese translation of the Rates page says "per character rates" instead of "per word rates". This could cause some tro
... See more
They don't disclose what they pay to the translators, but you can get an idea by looking at what they charge their clients. You can find this info under "Plans and rates".

If the SpeakLike rep is reading this, I would like to mention that it is not clear whether the price the client has to pay is calculated on the basis of source or target volume. Also, the Japanese translation of the Rates page says "per character rates" instead of "per word rates". This could cause some trouble, I think - it is a big difference to pay 10 cents per word, or 10 cents per character. For example, a Japanese to English translation paid by the source character count at the rate of 10 cents per character means a rate of approx. 25 cents per target English words. Going the other way, paying based on the English text 10 cents per character would be the equivalent of what - 60 to 80 cents per word???
I doubt anybody would be willing to pay (prepay, to be exact) that rate for a crowdsourced translation...

Katalin
Collapse

Jennifer Gal
Jennifer Gal  Identity Verified
Hungary
Hungarian to English
+ ...
glad it's being addressed Jul 21, 2010

I suspect that both high quality translators and reasonably well-informed customers will feel much better about using your service once this is fixed. For whatever it's worth, I'm glad you're giving it top priority.

Also, this exchange has been very informative! Thanks everyone for your input. I always learn something when good translators put their heads together.

-JG

[quote]

As for the comments about translation on our own site, this is of course very important for us. We've been upgrading our WordPress plug-in (http://www.speaklike.com/products/wordpress) and making changes internally to our site, so the problem really is a technical one and not a reflection of our translators. This is on high priority for us and we're looking to makes changes asap.

[quote]

[Módosítva: 2010-07-21 09:38 GMT]

Alexandre Maricato
Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 02:17
English to Portuguese
A real customer committed company Jul 21, 2010

In their Terms of Use

Guess they are really concerned about what they provide. Guess the only thing they guarantee is their right to charge for wathever it may come.

A special note to the "free of viruses or other harmful components".

In other words.... Pay and Pray!

"5. Disclaimer and Warranty

The Service (including all content, software, functions, fee-based services, materials and information made available thereon or acc
... See more
In their Terms of Use

Guess they are really concerned about what they provide. Guess the only thing they guarantee is their right to charge for wathever it may come.

A special note to the "free of viruses or other harmful components".

In other words.... Pay and Pray!

"5. Disclaimer and Warranty

The Service (including all content, software, functions, fee-based services, materials and information made available thereon or accessed by means thereof) is provided AS IS, without warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, warranties of title or implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, compatibility, security, accuracy, or non-infringement. To the fullest extent permissible by law, SpeakLike and its affiliates make no warranties and shall not be liable for the use of the Service under any circumstances, including but not limited to negligence by SpeakLike. SpeakLike does not warrant that the functions contained in the Site or the Service, fee-based or otherwise, will be uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be corrected, that the Site or Service will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality, or that the Site, including the server(s) on which the Site is operated, are free of viruses or other harmful components."
Collapse

Monia Di Martino
Monia Di Martino
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Is Speaklike working yet? Dec 6, 2010

I've been working with Speaklike for some time now but it's months I don't receive any notifications about jobs. I wrote to them to know if there was any problem with me or the system and I had no reply.
Can someone, especially those who work with Italian, tell me if there is a lack of Italian jobs or do you keep working regularly with Speaklike, or if Speaklike is till working?
Thank you

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Barrel scrapers Dec 8, 2011

Michael Wetzel wrote:

"Cloudsourcing" seems to be more or less a euphimism (plus a minimal factual distinction) for "crowdsourcing" ... in addition to the aspects that look like a "normal" agency, they are very open about their interest in bottom-of-the-barrel jobs and accepting unqualified translators (= "cloudsourcing" element).

IMHO, no "serious" translator should consider encouraging this blight on the market.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Locking thread - please use the Blue Board Oct 30, 2012

Dear all,

Since latest posts in this thread have been discussing a specific outsourcer's business and payment practices, I am locking the thread in line with forum rule #8, http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

If you have worked for this outsourcer, please feel free to express your Willingness to Work Again with them in
... See more
Dear all,

Since latest posts in this thread have been discussing a specific outsourcer's business and payment practices, I am locking the thread in line with forum rule #8, http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

If you have worked for this outsourcer, please feel free to express your Willingness to Work Again with them in the Blue Board record, http://www.proz.com/blueboard/ . Thanks!

Lucia
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cloudsourcing & SpeakLike

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »