Of Finnish exam for certified translators
Thread poster: Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jan 19, 2004

First my apologies to all, this question would of course belong to a Finnish forum - if only there was one, but as there is no such branch (forum) here (for some reason, as every other language seems to have theirs!), I could not think of a better option than this branch... Hopefully someone there can help me!! (Meaning that someone here has taken this exam...)

What I would need to know is how difficult would you say this exam is, do you need a lot of experience to pass it, or is j
... See more
First my apologies to all, this question would of course belong to a Finnish forum - if only there was one, but as there is no such branch (forum) here (for some reason, as every other language seems to have theirs!), I could not think of a better option than this branch... Hopefully someone there can help me!! (Meaning that someone here has taken this exam...)

What I would need to know is how difficult would you say this exam is, do you need a lot of experience to pass it, or is just a MA degree (and a little experience) enough?

Ja sama suomeksi (suurin piirtein): Kuinka vaikeaksi kuvailisitte ko. tutkintokoetta, kannattaako siihen osallistua ilman vuosien kokemusta, vai selviääkö siitä FM-tutkinnolla (pääaineena lähtökieli) ja vähällä kokemuksella...? Olisin todella kiitollinen tiedosta!!

(Edited so as to have only a monolingual title, as per moderator's requests below)

[Edited at 2004-04-20 10:13]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:17
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
I support a Finnish Forum Jan 20, 2004

and I am going to suggest it to Henry.

Are you willing to be its preliminary Moderator?

Please don't hesitate to contact me!

Ei ymmerä soumea mutta puhun erinomaisen hyvin

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Tradu
... See more
and I am going to suggest it to Henry.

Are you willing to be its preliminary Moderator?

Please don't hesitate to contact me!

Ei ymmerä soumea mutta puhun erinomaisen hyvin

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/translator/1749
(ProZ.com deu>swe & forum moderator)
eMail : [email protected]
Street: Träsk 201
Tel : +46-612-54112
Fax : +46-612-54181
Mobile: +46-70-5769797
Collapse

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes... Jan 20, 2004

Thanks for support, Mats! But my real problem was not the non-existence of the Finnish forum, but the above-mentioned exam -I wished to know how difficult it is, how much experience would one need to pass it...
(This is a bit urgent, as the deadline for registering for this exam is fast approaching...!) - Hopefully someone can tell! Would be thankful for all info.

(Mats, as a beginner, I'm not sure how go
... See more
Thanks for support, Mats! But my real problem was not the non-existence of the Finnish forum, but the above-mentioned exam -I wished to know how difficult it is, how much experience would one need to pass it...
(This is a bit urgent, as the deadline for registering for this exam is fast approaching...!) - Hopefully someone can tell! Would be thankful for all info.

(Mats, as a beginner, I'm not sure how good a moderator I would make... I'm sure there are some much more experienced Finnish translators than me in proz.com! )

[Edited at 2004-01-20 12:30]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Give it a try! Jan 20, 2004

Heli Kajander wrote:
(Mats, as a beginner, I\'m not sure how good a moderator I would make... I\'m sure there are some much more experienced Finnish translators than me in proz.com! )

Having read your CV and your posting I\'m confident that you could manage.
Convincing Henry needs some moderator and why not give it a try?
Otherwise, suggest one of the above (search ProZ.com)

BR

Mats

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try the Wordfast Finnish forum in Yahoo Jan 22, 2004

En tiedä yhtikäs mitään siitä käännöstentistä, mutta yahoossa on ainakin tuo Wordfast-foorumi, jonka kautta saat luultavasti vastauksen kysymyksiisi.

To Mats Wiman:
I do not think a Finnish forum is a good idea. It is even difficult to get someone answer a Kudoz-question into Finnish. Even the German forum is not very active, so what use would be a forum with a couple of postings a year?
For technical questions I go to Finnish forums about computer technology e
... See more
En tiedä yhtikäs mitään siitä käännöstentistä, mutta yahoossa on ainakin tuo Wordfast-foorumi, jonka kautta saat luultavasti vastauksen kysymyksiisi.

To Mats Wiman:
I do not think a Finnish forum is a good idea. It is even difficult to get someone answer a Kudoz-question into Finnish. Even the German forum is not very active, so what use would be a forum with a couple of postings a year?
For technical questions I go to Finnish forums about computer technology etc. which have enough participants.
Collapse

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
* Jan 23, 2004

[quote]Heinrich Pesch wrote:

It is even difficult to get someone answer a Kudoz-question into Finnish.
quote]
How can this be - at least I answer every question Eng>Fi that possibly I can - but possibly you meant only technical questions...?

Btw, I couldn't find this Wordfast forum you mentioned, but I would presume the discussion there to be mainly about Wordfast, etc..?

Mats, about the matter of moderator, I will consider if ever asked to be one, presuming of course the Finnish forum ever comes to be!

ohemulen
ohemulen  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to Finnish
+ ...
Support for a Finnish forum! Feb 13, 2004

Being a newcomer to this site, I, too, have missed having a Finnish forum. Given the very quick responses I've gotten to my Kudoz questions, I would think that there are enough people out there to participate.

Ja sama suomeksi.

En valitettavasti osaa auttaa sinua, Heli, muuten.

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
??? Feb 15, 2004

Tayfun, I don't understand who your remark was actually aimed for - at least I in my original post wrote everything in both English and Finnish, even the title! And so do all other 'respondents' seem to have done, too!

Susan Ruusunen
Susan Ruusunen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:17
English to Finnish
+ ...
The language issue Mar 13, 2004

Hm, I would have one question about posting in English only in channels, and getting complaints like this one when posting in two languages / or even have the whole posting using a language other than English..
Is this rule applied only to the more unusual languages that are not widely understood, but not to more common languages such as Spanish, French, etc?
(not talking about this particular forum, but some of the other general forums)

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
About the exam for certified translators Apr 16, 2004

Sorry for writing it so late. As far as I know the spring exam in Finland was already. I don't know if you participated, Heli, but anyway maybe someone else find the information useful.

I did the exam twice, in 1998 and 1999 and passed on the second time (Finnish-> Russian). I found it rather tricky than difficult. In my opinion, anyone having very good general knowledge of the culture of your working language can pass it. But 3 hours is not indeed as much time as it might seem, so
... See more
Sorry for writing it so late. As far as I know the spring exam in Finland was already. I don't know if you participated, Heli, but anyway maybe someone else find the information useful.

I did the exam twice, in 1998 and 1999 and passed on the second time (Finnish-> Russian). I found it rather tricky than difficult. In my opinion, anyone having very good general knowledge of the culture of your working language can pass it. But 3 hours is not indeed as much time as it might seem, so you should think and make decisions quickly. They allow you to take all books and dictionaries you want, but believe me there is no time for that. And when one hurries, one makes mistake, thats how I failed first time: I missed a whole sentence, just didn't translate it at all ... and got 9 penalty points from 20 allowed for that!

You can find also a big discussion about the exam on Finnish translators forum, Translat. I'm sure you can find it in Internet yourself. Good luck with the exam!

Natalia
Collapse

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Natalia :) Apr 20, 2004

Yes, I already participated, and indeed noticed most of the things you mentioned...
(So it was a bit too late for me, unfortunately...) I have to say it was much more difficult than I had expected, but maybe they just had unusually difficult texts this year in my language pair (I think, from comments by other participants)... And yes, the time factor was one of the main problems, for a first-timer!

(Funny though
... See more
Yes, I already participated, and indeed noticed most of the things you mentioned...
(So it was a bit too late for me, unfortunately...) I have to say it was much more difficult than I had expected, but maybe they just had unusually difficult texts this year in my language pair (I think, from comments by other participants)... And yes, the time factor was one of the main problems, for a first-timer!

(Funny though, no one besides Natalia seemed never to have heard of this exam on this forum - seems like certified translators don't work as freelancers, or...?)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Of Finnish exam for certified translators

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »