How are translation tests assessed?
Thread poster: RenataR
RenataR
RenataR
Polish to English
+ ...
Jan 20, 2004

Does anybody hava a link to any test samples and criteria for marking these tests?
How does one loose or score points if it is a handwritten test?
Thanks for your help.

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
moving topic Jan 20, 2004

RenataR wrote:

Does anybody hava a link to any test samples and criteria for marking these tests?
How does one loose or score points if it is a handwritten test?
Thanks for your help.

to "Getting Established"

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:14
English to German
+ ...
Arbitrarily Jan 20, 2004

Most of the translation tests I saw were painstakingly constructed sets of traps made of those restricted rules, which the individual author knew and thought to be important. If he would tell you what he really thinks to be important, the traps would stop working.

If you need tests, simply send out applications.

I just got a new client who chose a more honest and neutral approach
(he explained the whole procedure before it started):

He sent so
... See more
Most of the translation tests I saw were painstakingly constructed sets of traps made of those restricted rules, which the individual author knew and thought to be important. If he would tell you what he really thinks to be important, the traps would stop working.

If you need tests, simply send out applications.

I just got a new client who chose a more honest and neutral approach
(he explained the whole procedure before it started):

He sent some rather normal, different texts to some experienced translators / proofreaders for translation. After that, he asked us to proofread and comment each others translation and comment each others comments.

Then he based his opinion on the developing discussion about the mistakes and good ideas everyone had in his respective translation and comment and re-comment.

Finally, he sent the corrected translations to his end client to let him choose which one he liked best.

This was quite an effort, but it was also fun and it is going to be a larger project.

[Edited at 2004-01-20 21:40]
Collapse

Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT
Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:14
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Try ATA's Framework for Standard Error Marking Jan 21, 2004

Renata,

Why don't you try "ATA's Framework for standard error marking" and "Tips for candidates"?

http://www.atanet.org/bin/view.pl/12438.html

I'm an Eng>Spa Grader for some US Agencies, and I've always considered that ATA's information is very educational. Besides, I know lots of translation trainers that use these guidelines in their class practices.<
... See more
Renata,

Why don't you try "ATA's Framework for standard error marking" and "Tips for candidates"?

http://www.atanet.org/bin/view.pl/12438.html

I'm an Eng>Spa Grader for some US Agencies, and I've always considered that ATA's information is very educational. Besides, I know lots of translation trainers that use these guidelines in their class practices.

Saludos,

Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund
ATA Certified Eng>Spa Translator
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How are translation tests assessed?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »