Can you recommend a reliable e-fax service?
Thread poster: Nina Snoj
Nina Snoj
Nina Snoj
Slovenia
Spanish to Slovenian
+ ...
Jan 31, 2004

Hi everyone,

After years of using HP Officejet V40 fax, which to be honest doesn't provide the service that HP is known for, and after numerous intents of repairing it, I have decided to go for an e-fax number.
I would like to hear opinions of those who use e-fax on daily bases, not just sending but also recieving files. I am in Slovenia so an American phone number doesn't look exactly credible for my business. I was wondering if anyone knows of a relatively cheap, reliable e-
... See more
Hi everyone,

After years of using HP Officejet V40 fax, which to be honest doesn't provide the service that HP is known for, and after numerous intents of repairing it, I have decided to go for an e-fax number.
I would like to hear opinions of those who use e-fax on daily bases, not just sending but also recieving files. I am in Slovenia so an American phone number doesn't look exactly credible for my business. I was wondering if anyone knows of a relatively cheap, reliable e-fax service.
Good luck to you all!

Nina
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:11
English to Russian
+ ...
winfax pro 10 Jan 31, 2004

I think you need to try this great programm. ou shoul install this on yr pc and use pc as a fax machine. great results are guaranteed. In my opinion it is in any case better that e-fax service. An cheaper

Michael Hesselnberg (X)
Michael Hesselnberg (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:11
French to German
+ ...
A programme on your computer Jan 31, 2004

[quote]NinaSnoj wrote:

Hello Nina,
two years ago I bought a program (Winphone) at http://www.bvrp.com (40€) to downlad which transformes your computer in a fax.
Never had problems!
HTH!
Michael

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:11
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
E-Fax Jan 31, 2004

I am using www.e-fax.com free services for quite a while and I'm pretty much happy with it.

You have a choice of US, UK and Hongkong free fax numbers.

If you upgrade to their paid service efax plus, a number of interesting options will become available.

Anyhow I am using the free service which is limited to Receive mode only.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
efax.com Jan 31, 2004

I use efax.com since last spring. The only glich is, that I can recieve faxes alright, but they have not made available to me the sending of faxes from email, though I have paid my share.
Catch 22: in order to get the right to fax I should have faxed my last visa-invoice to prove that I am a real person. But since I do not own a fax nor a phone line I have not been able to do so. But I do not care, for me its enough to recieve faxes via email.
No out-of-paper, no papercopies. Its so
... See more
I use efax.com since last spring. The only glich is, that I can recieve faxes alright, but they have not made available to me the sending of faxes from email, though I have paid my share.
Catch 22: in order to get the right to fax I should have faxed my last visa-invoice to prove that I am a real person. But since I do not own a fax nor a phone line I have not been able to do so. But I do not care, for me its enough to recieve faxes via email.
No out-of-paper, no papercopies. Its so much easier to translate on-screen from the image file of efax than from hardcopy.
Collapse

tramont (X)
tramont (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TRY JFAX Jan 31, 2004

Hi Nina,

I have been using JConnect (www.j2.com) for 4 years. The basic service gives you e-fax and voicemail to a dedicated number for $15.00 per month.

Fax receiving and voicemail are included, but there is a charge of 10 cents per page upwards to send faxes.

I really only use it to receive faxes, and the occasional voicemail, but it's never given me any problems. You can recor
... See more
Hi Nina,

I have been using JConnect (www.j2.com) for 4 years. The basic service gives you e-fax and voicemail to a dedicated number for $15.00 per month.

Fax receiving and voicemail are included, but there is a charge of 10 cents per page upwards to send faxes.

I really only use it to receive faxes, and the occasional voicemail, but it's never given me any problems. You can record your own answer message.

They have a JCommunicator software to read faxes and listen to voicemails, but I found it tended to take over your PC, so use Quicktime for GSM messages and Kodak Imaging for TIFF files (faxes).

You won't get a number in Slovenia, but they do have them in Belgium, Germany, France, Itlay and Switzerland and a few other places including the UK.

Hope this is of use.

Nicholas
Collapse

Lorena Grancelli
Lorena Grancelli  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
www.efax.com Jan 31, 2004

Efax is definitely the best choice for me!!!
I have been using it for several years and never had trouble.

Lorena

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
E-fax is very good Jan 31, 2004

Hi,

I have used it for the last 3 years and I am very happy with it. It is free and reliable.

Best regards,
Mónica Machado

Abdellatif Bouhid
Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:11
English to French
+ ...
www.faxwave.com Jan 31, 2004

US free fax number (in Nevada) to receive 5 faxes per month, or USD 3.95 for unlimited number of faxes. Received faxes are converted to .pdf or .tif files and sent to your email address. Could be useful for your international clients. Faxing to a US number might even be cheaper for them.

www.faxwave.com

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Sorry Jan 31, 2004

but there is something I didn't understand yet : Is it possible to receive and send fax from the computer even if you have ADSL and no modem with a phone line ?

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not for receiving, ... Feb 1, 2004

... but for sending e-faxes:

www.fax1.com

Sonja

Marco Oberto
Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Minimum charge Feb 1, 2004

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

... but for sending e-faxes:

www.fax1.com

Sonja

It sounds interesting, but do you know what is the minimum amount you need to pay in order to use the service, i.e. to be credited on your personal eFax account? I've tried to find this piece of information on the site with no results.

Another Italian site offers you a personal number with which send and receive faxes, but it requires - if i'm not wrong - a minimun of 50 euro to be spent in a year or so!

[Edited at 2004-02-01 14:01]

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
10 US$... Feb 2, 2004

... if I'm not completely mistaken.

You can pay by PayPal. At least, that's what I do.

Sonja

[Edited at 2004-02-02 12:40]

Nina Snoj
Nina Snoj
Slovenia
Spanish to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Feb 2, 2004

Thank you all dear colleagues for your answers. I love coming here and getting first-hand, contrasted information. If I can help anyone in any way, just let me know.

P.S. Still don't know which one I will choose because apart from translating services, we also run a trading company and for that, a 100% reliable fax machine is a must (not that it's not needed in translation industry, but, to be honest, on a slightly smaller scale).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you recommend a reliable e-fax service?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »