Insufficient flow of jobs in my pair, what should I do?
Thread poster: Gabrijela
Gabrijela
Gabrijela
Local time: 11:14
Greek to Serbian
+ ...
Feb 4, 2004

Greetings everyone,
I had been working as a translator in a trading company for 13 years. A month ago I decided to start as a freelancer. Every day I spend 2-3 hours offering some help on Kudo-Z (and I really enjoy it). My main language pairs are Croatian-Serbian (native) - Greek (I've been living in Greece since 1989) and there are no questions or jobs posted for this pairs. It seems to me that there is nobody who would be interested in this language pairs. Should I just forget translati
... See more
Greetings everyone,
I had been working as a translator in a trading company for 13 years. A month ago I decided to start as a freelancer. Every day I spend 2-3 hours offering some help on Kudo-Z (and I really enjoy it). My main language pairs are Croatian-Serbian (native) - Greek (I've been living in Greece since 1989) and there are no questions or jobs posted for this pairs. It seems to me that there is nobody who would be interested in this language pairs. Should I just forget translation jobs (although I really love it)? I do speak English, but there are so many translators in Greek-English, or Serbian/Croatian - English pairs, so I am just affraid to go along with them in any job posting.
Sorry for wasting your time and
thank you in advance for your replies.
Collapse

bergazy
bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 10:14
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
You should look even elsewhere Feb 4, 2004

This Greek site should be an iteresting point for you:

http://www.translatum.gr/jobs.htm

Good luck!

Lydia Molea
Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:14
English to German
+ ...
Depending on your fields of expertise, Feb 4, 2004

you may want to search for Greek companies with subsidiaries in Croatia, for example. You can contact them and offer your services. Just a thought... Good luck!
Lydia

Gabrijela
Gabrijela
Greek to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your support. Feb 4, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

You should keep sending CVs and market your services to agencies and direct clients. When they entered you in their database somtimes they may contact you months later not immediately.
On the other hand seek other local opportunities as there may be some local agencies.

I will keep sending my CVs (although I've sent a lot of them and received just one reply). Thank you once again.

Gabrijela
Gabrijela
Greek to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The link you gave me is really helpfull. Feb 4, 2004

Marko Kovacic wrote:

This Greek site should be an iteresting point for you:

http://www.translatum.gr/jobs.htm

Good luck!

Thank you very much for your help and support, wish you all the best.

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Estonian
+ ...
There are a lot of translators in English-XXX pairs because there are a lot of jobs Feb 4, 2004

Gabrijela wrote:

I do speak English, but there are so many translators in Greek-English, or Serbian/Croatian - English pairs, so I am just affraid to go along with them in any job posting.

So what ? There are also a lot of jobs.
If you really like working in Greek-Serbocroatian pair, try build up a client base as suggested, but in the meanwhile, why not try to get jobs in the area where there ARE jobs ?

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 01:14
English to Arabic
+ ...
English <-> Serbian & Croatian Jobs Feb 4, 2004

Greetings.

I would like to second and reinforce the previous poster's good suggestion that you may find more business as a translator by emphasizing your skills in your pair of English Serbian and Croatian.

You could also expand your self-marketing by doing some web searches to find foreign companies with projects (construction, consumer goods, foodstuffs, medical suppleis, etc.) that are underway or projected for Serbian and Croatian regions.

If "Corpor
... See more
Greetings.

I would like to second and reinforce the previous poster's good suggestion that you may find more business as a translator by emphasizing your skills in your pair of English Serbian and Croatian.

You could also expand your self-marketing by doing some web searches to find foreign companies with projects (construction, consumer goods, foodstuffs, medical suppleis, etc.) that are underway or projected for Serbian and Croatian regions.

If "Corporation X," for example, is involved in engineering and reconstructions of the elecricity system in one city, that corporation is likely looking at business in other cities in future.

Since you have native fluency in S-C, your markleting approach might also emphasize the value of your cultural awareness for rendering translations (some call the process "customer culturization") so they will make sense and resonate positively with intended Serbian or Croatian readers.

HTH. Good luck.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish, and Farsi)
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Gabrijela
Gabrijela
Greek to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all ! Feb 4, 2004

Your letters of encouragement and your suggestions helped me to decide to keep on trying.
I wish you good luck and once again THANK YOU!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Insufficient flow of jobs in my pair, what should I do?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »