Letter of introduction for translation agencies
Thread poster: Seyring
Seyring
Seyring  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:41
German to Italian
+ ...
Feb 5, 2004

I am going to write a letter of introduction for translation agencies. Does anyone have any tips on how to present it.

Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:41
German to English
+ ...
Have it proofread by a native speaker Feb 5, 2004

Hi Anna,

Based on your language pair, I am not sure whether you plan to write this letter in English. I have seen application letters in English that were full of mistakes and had awkward expressions. Needless to say, the sender had wasted money and time. If you are going to send it in English, or any language for that matter, I would advise you to have a colleague or friend look it over. The letter should be to the point and only focus on your translation experience.

D
... See more
Hi Anna,

Based on your language pair, I am not sure whether you plan to write this letter in English. I have seen application letters in English that were full of mistakes and had awkward expressions. Needless to say, the sender had wasted money and time. If you are going to send it in English, or any language for that matter, I would advise you to have a colleague or friend look it over. The letter should be to the point and only focus on your translation experience.

Dorothee
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thread moved Feb 5, 2004

I have moved this thread from its original placement in the KudoZ forum.

Nice to greet you, Dorothee!

Enrique Cavalitto

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
1. Put yourself in their place; 2. A useful book Feb 7, 2004

1. Try to think from the point of view of agencies, and imagine the most important things about you and your translation services that will make them interested in you, and will make a good impression on them.

2. I found very helpful, specific advice about cover letters and much more in Alex Eames's book How to Earn $80,000+ per year as a
Freelance Translator
. More infor
... See more
1. Try to think from the point of view of agencies, and imagine the most important things about you and your translation services that will make them interested in you, and will make a good impression on them.

2. I found very helpful, specific advice about cover letters and much more in Alex Eames's book How to Earn $80,000+ per year as a
Freelance Translator
. More information on the book is available at http://www.translatortips.com. I have no commercial relationship with this site, except as a customer who bought the book, and I receive no benefit from recommending the book.

I found this e-book very helpful and informative. I had previously bought two paper books about marketing yourself as a translator, and they were not nearly as good. I have never bought the "tranmail" list of agencies also offered at Translatortips, so I offer no opinion on it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Letter of introduction for translation agencies

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »