Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
US university masters in translation program ONLINE???
Thread poster: lauren herme (X)
lauren herme (X)
lauren herme (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 19, 2004

Hi there,
Does anybody know of an online masters program in translation through a US university? I know that NYU offers a certificate in translation online.
Thanks for your feedback.
Lauren Hermele

Marco Oberto
Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:45
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
NYU online translation certificate Feb 19, 2004

lauren hermele wrote:

I know that NYU offers a certificate in translation online.

Can you please provide references of this NYU certificate you mentioned? Thanks, Marco

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Italian not included Feb 19, 2004

Hi Marco,
The link is the following: http://www.scps.nyu.edu/departments/certificate.jsp;jsessionid=WXVWDX5AS1RKTAD0SM5SFEQ?certId=157

However, when I contacted the program coordinator a few months ago, she said Italian was not included in the translation certificate options and would not be for a while (she said they wer
... See more
Hi Marco,
The link is the following: http://www.scps.nyu.edu/departments/certificate.jsp;jsessionid=WXVWDX5AS1RKTAD0SM5SFEQ?certId=157

However, when I contacted the program coordinator a few months ago, she said Italian was not included in the translation certificate options and would not be for a while (she said they were already understaffed for this program with the other languages).
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
word to the wise Feb 19, 2004

The best translation programs are in Europe, IMO. I would save my money and go to one of the free ones rather than pay thousands here. But that is just my opinion.

Good luck.

Mark Oliver
Mark Oliver  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:45
Indonesian to English
+ ...
just say no Feb 19, 2004

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

The best translation programs are in Europe, IMO. I would save my money and go to one of the free ones rather than pay thousands here. But that is just my opinion.

Good luck.

the University of Massachussetts at Amherst also offers a program. But I agree with Jane--unless you can come up with a decent source of funding, the European programs are far more reasonable. Unless the US dollar completely collapses, which is well within the realm of possibility these days.

Wouter van Kampen
Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 19:45
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
free ones ??? Feb 19, 2004

Free translation training programs in Europe ???
Please tell me more.

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

Good luck.

Marco Oberto
Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Feb 19, 2004

for your information.

lauren herme (X)
lauren herme (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
best translation programs in Europe Feb 19, 2004

[quote]Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:
The best translation programs are in Europe, IMO.

Hi Jane,
Would you like to help us out here with a few names of these programs?
Thank you,
Lauren

[Edited at 2004-02-19 23:12]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:15
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
A problem in viewing this thread Feb 20, 2004

When I open this thread, the text extends beyond the screen and I have to operate the bottom toolbar to just read through the text. I had a similar problem in reading a thread in the Chinese forum that was posted in English. Its moderator was kind enough to tell me what to do in that case to bring the posting within the width of the screen (view>encoding>more). But I am unable to repeat the same in Fora of European languages. Kindly help.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
German University courses are still very cheap Feb 20, 2004

My uni in Germersheim www.fask.uni-mainz.de is the language and linguistics department of the University of Mainz. You can study translating and interpreting there. All you pay are (I think) around 80 Euro per semester (half year).

I do not think they offer online courses though.

The same applies for most other universities in Germany. Unless they are private or you really study too
... See more
My uni in Germersheim www.fask.uni-mainz.de is the language and linguistics department of the University of Mainz. You can study translating and interpreting there. All you pay are (I think) around 80 Euro per semester (half year).

I do not think they offer online courses though.

The same applies for most other universities in Germany. Unless they are private or you really study too long, education there is almost for free.

But this might change soon. There are already discussions about what kind and what amount of study fees to raise.

I just recently tried to find out about admission for foreign students. It seems that you need to know German. I came over a clause of 100 hours spent with German classes (in a licensed school or institution) quite a few times. You might also have to pass a test of German first.

But then there are also courses that are completely in English. I can't imagine they would still require the German test for these.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Good luck.

sun

[Edited at 2004-02-20 06:52]
Collapse

Carley Hydusik
Carley Hydusik  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:45
Russian to English
+ ...
Try the Institute of Linguists in the UK Feb 20, 2004

They do not actually offer programs per se, but I think they can direct you to places that do, and then the IoL gives examinations.

Here's a link to the Diploma in Translation page on the IoL's website:
http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp

(And as to translation programs in Europe being better and free... that's fine if you have f
... See more
They do not actually offer programs per se, but I think they can direct you to places that do, and then the IoL gives examinations.

Here's a link to the Diploma in Translation page on the IoL's website:
http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp

(And as to translation programs in Europe being better and free... that's fine if you have five years to re-do your undergraduate degree!) But do check into Germersheim--I've been to some excellent interpreting short courses there. I have never heard of a short (1 or 2 year) translation program, though.

Best wishes, and do keep trying!

[Edited at 2004-02-20 08:51]
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:45
German to English
+ ...
Cheaper - yes, Better - ? Feb 20, 2004

Yes, the programs in Europe are cheaper. But doesn't it depend on whether you are an EU citizen or not? There may be (bureaucratic if not monetary) hoops to jump through for non-EU citizens.

Better? That's up for debate!

I do know the Monterey Institute of International Studies (my alma mater) is in negotiations to become part of the U. of California system, which would presumably make it less expensive t
... See more
Yes, the programs in Europe are cheaper. But doesn't it depend on whether you are an EU citizen or not? There may be (bureaucratic if not monetary) hoops to jump through for non-EU citizens.

Better? That's up for debate!

I do know the Monterey Institute of International Studies (my alma mater) is in negotiations to become part of the U. of California system, which would presumably make it less expensive than it is now.
But the quality of the degree, which is very practically oriented, is excellent in any case.
Collapse

i8a4re
i8a4re
German to English
Go for the IOL exam... Feb 21, 2004

I, too, would look at sitting the Institute of Linguists' Diploma in Translation exam -- certainly not as prestigious as a masters, but recognised nevertheless.

Various UK universities offer preparatory courses for this exam (such as City University in London, http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/dtdl.htm - this can also be done via distance learning, and I believe it has an online compon
... See more
I, too, would look at sitting the Institute of Linguists' Diploma in Translation exam -- certainly not as prestigious as a masters, but recognised nevertheless.

Various UK universities offer preparatory courses for this exam (such as City University in London, http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/dtdl.htm - this can also be done via distance learning, and I believe it has an online component).

As for studying in Germersheim (or at any other German university, for that matter): If you're not translating into our out of German, forget it. Language combinations that don't involve German are simply not offered. Apart from that, the state of German universities is appalling at present - I am beginning to think that the EUR90.50 I paid last semester is low for a reason.

The interpretation courses at Germersheim seem to be doing a remarkable job at retaining their great repuation, and there is a two-year masters course available... although it's not offered for English native speakers, even the ones who interpret into German...

Cheers
KT

[Edited at 2004-02-22 11:16]

[Edited at 2004-02-22 11:17]
Collapse

norte
norte
English to Spanish
+ ...
Distance learning - Canada Feb 22, 2004

lauren hermele wrote:

Hi there,
Does anybody know of an online masters program in translation through a US university? I know that NYU offers a certificate in translation online.
Thanks for your feedback.
Lauren Hermele

norte
norte
English to Spanish
+ ...
Distance learning - Canada Feb 22, 2004

Lauren,

The University of Toronto`s School of Continuing Studies (http://learn.utoronto.ca&/uoft) offers a couple of distance-learning programmes with Spanish as the source and target language. These courses follow a similar format to the NYU courses.

Regards,
Norte

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US university masters in translation program ONLINE???

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »