How do I get started in the freelance translation market?
Thread poster: Ben Zartman
Ben Zartman
Ben Zartman
English to Spanish
Feb 20, 2004

Hi all, I have been trying with no success to get into the Freelance translation market. I can't get anyone to even respond to my letters, much less to show any interest. Any pointers out there?

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:38
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
A few humble suggestiopns Feb 21, 2004

1. Improve your profile page at ProZ.com. Tell'em more about your background and specialties. It does not give the impression that yo're really 'into it'.
2. Upload your photo = Give yourself identity.
3. Create a homepage of your own with a link on your profile page.
4. Start getting KudoZ points to show your expertise. (Intelligent outsourcers look for KudoZ points).
5. Browse ProZ.com's Forums, especially the Spanish one to pick up tips and advice.
6. Ask private
... See more
1. Improve your profile page at ProZ.com. Tell'em more about your background and specialties. It does not give the impression that yo're really 'into it'.
2. Upload your photo = Give yourself identity.
3. Create a homepage of your own with a link on your profile page.
4. Start getting KudoZ points to show your expertise. (Intelligent outsourcers look for KudoZ points).
5. Browse ProZ.com's Forums, especially the Spanish one to pick up tips and advice.
6. Ask privately a few of the 'Spaniards' at ProZ.com for specifics in the eng>esl market.

Good luck!

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/translator/1749
(Proz.com moderator, deu>swe)
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:38
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Translation market Feb 21, 2004

I've been working as a freelance translator for more than 14 years locally in Iran. Just three months ago, I decided to expand my activities and look into the international market. Although my language combination is not that rich in jobs and assignments ( FarsiEnglish ) but I made a special website and now, I am having regular jobs with many clients all over the world.

As I see, Kudoz points is important too and clients look into it. I've learned so much from Proz forums during thi
... See more
I've been working as a freelance translator for more than 14 years locally in Iran. Just three months ago, I decided to expand my activities and look into the international market. Although my language combination is not that rich in jobs and assignments ( FarsiEnglish ) but I made a special website and now, I am having regular jobs with many clients all over the world.

As I see, Kudoz points is important too and clients look into it. I've learned so much from Proz forums during this short period and I'm very glad that I registered with this website.

Be patient and expose yourself.
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Shortcut to the archives Feb 21, 2004

Don't miss these discussions (click on the links below):

First steps in the translation business. Need advice
See more
Don't miss these discussions (click on the links below):

First steps in the translation business. Need advice
Beginner discounts? NO!
CVs and other marketing materials
Building up a client base
Business cards
How can I get more jobs?

[Edited at 2004-02-21 18:22]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I get started in the freelance translation market?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »