Which language to send CV / application letter?
Thread poster: Alan Wright
Alan Wright
Alan Wright
Spain
Local time: 08:51
Spanish to English
Feb 26, 2004

It seems to me there are 3 possibilities of how to approach agencies / companies with in-house jobs:

1. Send CV and letter of introduction in source language (possibly appropriate if the agency/company is based in the country where that language [not your native language] is spoken).

2.Send everything in your native language (after all this is what you will present finished work in).

3.Send one of each (could this be over-egging the pudding a bit??)
<
... See more
It seems to me there are 3 possibilities of how to approach agencies / companies with in-house jobs:

1. Send CV and letter of introduction in source language (possibly appropriate if the agency/company is based in the country where that language [not your native language] is spoken).

2.Send everything in your native language (after all this is what you will present finished work in).

3.Send one of each (could this be over-egging the pudding a bit??)

I do think though that this is a potential show-stopper if you send something at odds with what is considered the acceptable procedure in the field.

So what would an agency or a company expect/prefer to receive from applicants?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How about the agency owner's language? Feb 26, 2004

Alan Wright wrote:
It seems to me there are 3 possibilities of how to approach agencies / companies with in-house jobs...

I'd say, if the spoken or official language of the agency or company is one that you can speak, write in that language.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:51
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Language of the country where the Agency is or English Feb 26, 2004

Alan Wright wrote:

I would recommend against this: the people that are going to read your CV and cover letter will not necessarily know your language. This is a sure way to have your CV immediately filed in the trash basket

I believe there are only two real options:
1) Write in the language of the country where the agency or company is based,
-or-
2) Write in English, as the de-facto lingua franca of the world (this could backfire in some countries, though)

In any case it is very important to conform to the standards used in the country in question for résumés.
For instance, don't provide details such as a photo, your age, marital status, race, religion, etc. in a CV sent to the USA: the most likely result is that the CV would be thrown away out of hand, since a company legal departmet in the States would always recommend not to request such details (it is illegal to do so), and any CV on file that did contain such details could be prima facie proof that such details were requested (whether that is true or not).

On the other hand there are countries where such details are expected, and you should add them to your résumé for those countries.

I did a presentation on "how not to get hired" at the ATA a few years ago, if you are interested, please e-mail me, and I'll send you a copy.

-Riccardo

[Edited at 2004-02-26 21:08]

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
The third option Feb 26, 2004

A variation on your option #3 (one of each) could be used effectively if you can redo your letter and CV in a bilingual format. It may take some editing to make it look good without seeming too long or crowded. This option has the advantage of communicating to the recipient in the recipient's language yet showing off your mother tongue if that is not the recipient's first language.
... See more
A variation on your option #3 (one of each) could be used effectively if you can redo your letter and CV in a bilingual format. It may take some editing to make it look good without seeming too long or crowded. This option has the advantage of communicating to the recipient in the recipient's language yet showing off your mother tongue if that is not the recipient's first language.

Here is an article that talks about the important points made by Riccardo.
Collapse

Alan Wright
Alan Wright
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks folks Feb 26, 2004

Thanks for the pointers.

My aim now, I think, is to do 2 of both but keep both of them consise to avoid overkill.

Cheers now.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
"How not to get hired" presentation? Feb 27, 2004

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:
I did a presentation on "how not to get hired" at the ATA a few years ago, if you are interested, please e-mail me, and I'll send you a copy.

Is this jewel available on the web?

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:51
Italian to English
+ ...
If enough people request this... Feb 29, 2004

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

-Riccardo

[Edited at 2004-02-26 21:08]

If enough people rquest this, you might consider having it uploaded to the ProZ Community Howtos section.

R.
==

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which language to send CV / application letter?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »