Dr Andrew Read
Dr Andrew Read  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:06
German to English
+ ...
Mar 17, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I am getting a lot of good leads in from clients in the publishing industry, having done projects mainly for agencies up to now.

It looks as if my new publisher clients will want to send me Quark files for me to "pour" the text back into the same format, ready for printing/publishing.

I've not used Quark before, so have no copy of it and am a PC rather than a MAC user.

My questions are:
- Can I get away with buying a 2nd
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am getting a lot of good leads in from clients in the publishing industry, having done projects mainly for agencies up to now.

It looks as if my new publisher clients will want to send me Quark files for me to "pour" the text back into the same format, ready for printing/publishing.

I've not used Quark before, so have no copy of it and am a PC rather than a MAC user.

My questions are:
- Can I get away with buying a 2nd hand copy of Quark Xpress, for example version 4.1? To buy a new copy of version 6.0 is very expensive (around GBP1000!).
- Will I be able to continue working on a PC, not a MAC?
- I share an office with another translator; will we need to get one copy each? Any tips here?
- I am PC-literate and use Trados, DV, etc, but not experienced in DTP. Will I be able to teach myself Quark using, say, a "for Dummies" book, or will I need to pay for a training course (which I can ill afford at the moment)? Any tips for getting up to speed quickly?
- Any general thoughts/experiences on starting off using Quark Xpress and/or doing work direct for publishers from other Quark-proficient translators?

Thanks for your help!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quark - which version/training, etc?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »