I want to get established as a freelancer- what should I do better to begin?
Thread poster: Sergio Juárez García
Sergio Juárez García
Sergio Juárez García
Spain
Local time: 22:28
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 23, 2004

I have great knowledge of English and Japanese. I would like to establish myself as a freelancer. I have many ideas, creating a web page including sample translation (non-copyrighted texts, literary, in the case of Japanese). Is that a good idea? What would be better to do when you have almost no experience in translation and you want to get job in this field? Any suggestion is welcome... Thanks in advance

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
raise your rates :) Mar 24, 2004

Even if you are a beginner, if you intend to work professionally I would recommend you set competitive rates from the start. Either you are qualified to do the job, or you are not. If you are, charge accordingly. Chances are you will have to negotiate anyway, at which point you can offer some flexibility if needed. There are many threads in these forums that explain why rock-bottom rates are detrimental to the entire profession, you may want to do a search for more information.

Rath
... See more
Even if you are a beginner, if you intend to work professionally I would recommend you set competitive rates from the start. Either you are qualified to do the job, or you are not. If you are, charge accordingly. Chances are you will have to negotiate anyway, at which point you can offer some flexibility if needed. There are many threads in these forums that explain why rock-bottom rates are detrimental to the entire profession, you may want to do a search for more information.

Rather than undersell yourself, you can always offer your services as a volunteer translator to gain experience and valuable contacts.

And yes, including sample translations in your website is a great idea.

Best luck to you,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I want to get established as a freelancer- what should I do better to begin?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »