Thread poster: Abdelazim Abdelazim
Abdelazim Abdelazim
Abdelazim Abdelazim  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 9, 2004

Colleagues,

Is translation a highly-skilled profession? And does being a freelancer translator qualify one to immigrate to a certain country, namely the UK?

Even if I did subtitle a couple of English programs to Arabic? (Of course this for those who will answer "No" to the above questions!)

And must I get an inhouse offer first?

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,
ATN/ATPS Certified Translator,
... See more
Colleagues,

Is translation a highly-skilled profession? And does being a freelancer translator qualify one to immigrate to a certain country, namely the UK?

Even if I did subtitle a couple of English programs to Arabic? (Of course this for those who will answer "No" to the above questions!)

And must I get an inhouse offer first?

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,
Sun Certified Programmer,
http://www.nour.co.nr/

[Edited at 2006-03-07 13:40]
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:29
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes and No :) Apr 9, 2004

Dear Abdelazim Abdelazim,

Abdelazim Abdelazim wrote:
Is translation a highly-skilled profession?

In my opinion, definitely yes.

And does being a freelancer translator qualify one to immigrate to a certain country, namely the UK?

I am not quite sure for the UK, but here in the USA, one does not qualify to immigrate because his profession is a translator. I believe this is due to the fact that you can be a translator, live outside the U.S. and still work for a U.S. based company.

A while ago, a friend of mine who was already in the U.S., asked the immigration services if she could stay permanently here on the basis of her profession (German translator), but they told her that this was not possible.
Hopefully, things might be different in UK. Also, I see that you are a certified programmer. I think it would be easier to immigrate to a different country, due to a job that you might find as a programmer, rather than as a translator. As far as I know, the company that hires you however, has to prove to the immigration services that you are absolutely irreplaceable.

Good luck,
Monika

[Edited at 2004-04-09 14:29]

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:29
German to English
Did a little research on your behalf: Apr 9, 2004

Check out this website:
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/work_permits.html?

That has lots of good information on coming to the UK on a work permit. It is written from the perspective of an employer. I also found a note that the "Highly Skilled Migrant Programme" has reached its limits and is therefore closed
... See more
Check out this website:
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/work_permits.html?

That has lots of good information on coming to the UK on a work permit. It is written from the perspective of an employer. I also found a note that the "Highly Skilled Migrant Programme" has reached its limits and is therefore closed.
If someone wants to give you a job they have to advertise it across Europe. Only if they can't fill it from Europe can they look to other places. So let's imagine there is a company somewhere in the UK that needs your precise skills and they advertise a job somewhere and you see it and apply. They have to take the applicants from Europe first but if they have no good applicants then they may consider you. Then the company has to go to a great deal of effort to make sure apply for and get your work permit and visa. To be honest most companies simply can not be bothered - it takes a long time, effort and expense and you can't start work until the whole process has finished.
On the other hand if a company is desparate for someone with your skills they may be prepared to put the effort in. You've got computing skills, have you looked at the localisation companies in Ireland? It's the next place for localisation after Silicon Valley.
Collapse

Abdelazim Abdelazim
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
USA and UK Apr 9, 2004

Dear Monika,

Thank you for your reply. But I'm afraid I'm made to believe that though immigration to the USA seems impossible to an Egyptian, immigration to the UK, it turned out, is much more difficult. I think I should immigrate to Mars where translation rates are considerably HIGH

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,

Monika Coulson wrote:

Hopefully, things might be different in UK. Also, I see that you are a certified programmer. I think it would be easier to immigrate to a different country, due to a job that you might find as a programmer, rather than as a translator. As far as I know, the company that hires you however, has to prove to the immigration services that you are absolutely irreplaceable.

Good luck,
Monika

[Edited at 2004-04-09 14:29]

[Edited at 2006-03-07 13:39]

Abdelazim Abdelazim
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ireland. Apr 9, 2004

Dear Gillian,

Thanks for your wonderful suggestion that I "look at the localisation companies in Ireland." I wonder if you know how can one make companies "desparate" to hire one. Have I to dress "wikidly" smart?

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,

Gillian Noameshie wrote:

On the other hand if a company is desparate for someone with your skills they may be prepared to put the effort in. You've got computing skills, have you looked at the localisation companies in Ireland? It's the next place for localisation after Silicon Valley.

[Edited at 2004-04-09 20:39]

[Edited at 2006-03-07 13:32]

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:29
German to English
Skills, skills, skills Apr 10, 2004

Abdelazim Abdelazim wrote:

Dear Gillian,

Thanks for your wonderful suggestion that I "look at the localisation companies in Ireland." I wonder if you know how can one make companies "desparate" to hire one. Have I to dress "wikidly" smart?

The only way I can think of is to have skills that people want. I'm no expert on IT issues and localisation but I'd guess that if you held the right IT and language skills to, for example, localise a major program like Windows or Office, those skills would be highly in demand and well paid. I could also imagine that the US and UK need Arabic teachers too. It's all a matter of finding out what skills companies need and making sure you've got them and can prove it. Best of luck.

ulaw21
ulaw21
Italy
Local time: 13:29
Try with Italy Apr 10, 2004

I did it and I guess it is possible.

ursula

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:29
English to Spanish
Immigration advice Apr 10, 2004

Your language pair is very much in demand in the US nowadays and it seems it will continue like that.
My advice is that you visit the US Embassy. Probably, if there are US companies looking to hire someone of your expertise they should have advertisements there. That will be the surest way as the situation in the US is the same as in the UK. When a company wishes to hire someone from abroad it must first advertise the position with the US Dept. of Labor to guarantee that there are no cand
... See more
Your language pair is very much in demand in the US nowadays and it seems it will continue like that.
My advice is that you visit the US Embassy. Probably, if there are US companies looking to hire someone of your expertise they should have advertisements there. That will be the surest way as the situation in the US is the same as in the UK. When a company wishes to hire someone from abroad it must first advertise the position with the US Dept. of Labor to guarantee that there are no candidates in the US for such position. However, I know it for working in Human Resources for 20 years, that law offices can get around it but you must be very, very good at what you do.
Good luck!
Collapse

Abdelazim Abdelazim
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
US Embassy Apr 10, 2004

Thank you Luisabel. Here in Egypt you hear terrible stories about people being "mercilessly" rejected at the US Embassy in Cairo. That's why I did not think of the US as an immigration destination, although I know for sure that my language pair is highly in demand there.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,

Luisabel wrote:

My advice is that you visit the US Embassy. Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-03-07 13:33]

Abdelazim Abdelazim
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Italy Apr 10, 2004

Thank you Urszula. I will think of it and then try it. But do you think that my language pair (Arabic - English) are in demand in Italy?

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,

Urszula Widòrek wrote:

I did it and I guess it is possible.

ursula

[Edited at 2004-04-10 20:00]

[Edited at 2006-03-07 13:33]

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Hard facts Apr 13, 2004

One way is to FIND THE COMPANY FIRST. This language pair is VERY in demand. The company then SPONSORS you for a B1VISA and they go to bat for you. [do you know that expression: baseball] Anyway, that is a surefire way BUT you have to get the company first. You can locate your companies via Internet of course. Maybe I suggest that you double check your emails/phone calls to them. The US government would probably hire you too but I don't know how that works. IF you have translation diplomas/ a rec... See more
One way is to FIND THE COMPANY FIRST. This language pair is VERY in demand. The company then SPONSORS you for a B1VISA and they go to bat for you. [do you know that expression: baseball] Anyway, that is a surefire way BUT you have to get the company first. You can locate your companies via Internet of course. Maybe I suggest that you double check your emails/phone calls to them. The US government would probably hire you too but I don't know how that works. IF you have translation diplomas/ a record of translation that is mroe than 10 years that will also help. They are desperate for Arabic translators.
Regards,
Jane
Collapse

Abdelazim Abdelazim
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
10 Years ! Apr 14, 2004

Thank you Jane for your advice. But I have only 3+ years in translation (including subtitling for the newly launched Al-Hurra channel, which is American-funded and meant for the people of Iraq.) However, I think the American market longs for ArabicEnglish "interpreters" rather than "translators." And since I have no interpreting experience, I thought it a good idea to travel for a couple of months to an English-speaking country so that I gain interpreting experience. I am, in fact, reluctant to ... See more
Thank you Jane for your advice. But I have only 3+ years in translation (including subtitling for the newly launched Al-Hurra channel, which is American-funded and meant for the people of Iraq.) However, I think the American market longs for ArabicEnglish "interpreters" rather than "translators." And since I have no interpreting experience, I thought it a good idea to travel for a couple of months to an English-speaking country so that I gain interpreting experience. I am, in fact, reluctant to visit the US Embassy in Egypt because I feel they're being difficult with any Middle Eastern who likes to visit the US. That's why I thought of the UK in the first place. Long story!

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

The company then SPONSORS you for a B1VISA and they go to bat for you. [do you know that expression: baseball] Anyway, that is a surefire way. IF you have translation diplomas/ a record of translation that is mroe than 10 years that will also help. They are desperate for Arabic translators.
Regards,
Jane

[Edited at 2006-03-07 13:40]
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:29
German to English
+ ...
Not just interpreters Apr 14, 2004

I think the US govt. is also looking for translators, not just interpreters - we hear about boxes and boxes of Arabic texts and transcripts sitting in warehouses untranslated due to a lack of personnel.

However, I know that even foreign students (and not just from the Middle East) are having problems coming over to the US to study just now. Besides that, you would have to decide whether you would feel comfortable working for intelligence agencies or similar organizations.
... See more
I think the US govt. is also looking for translators, not just interpreters - we hear about boxes and boxes of Arabic texts and transcripts sitting in warehouses untranslated due to a lack of personnel.

However, I know that even foreign students (and not just from the Middle East) are having problems coming over to the US to study just now. Besides that, you would have to decide whether you would feel comfortable working for intelligence agencies or similar organizations.

What about Microsoft, though? Do they have any Arabic in-house translators?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Highly Skilled

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »