Know any sites like ProZ.com for web designers? Any advice?
Thread poster: Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:52
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 3, 2002

A friend of mine, a senior graphic designer specialized in creating Web and user interfaces, would like to try and find freelance work through the Internet. What tips would you give him? Do you know of any sites like ProZ for Web designers? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Many many thanks.

Laura

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:52
SITE FOUNDER
guru, freeagent, elance, maybe also hotdispatch Apr 3, 2002

all followed by \".com\"

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Bullhorn.com Apr 3, 2002

Hi Laura,

I can\'t give you any tips, because I am not a web designer, but there is a site (I think it is for free) that has a lot of creative jobs to offer. Have a look:

www.bullhorn.com

Hope that helps.

Dr. Stephan Pietzko
Dr. Stephan Pietzko  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:52
Member (2002)
English to German
Try these Apr 3, 2002

Hi Laura,

your friend should check out these links

www.elance.com (paid membership)

www.smarterwork.com (free membership, so far)

There are many offers for web designers. I can\'t tell how the rates are, though.

Hope that helps a bit.

Paulo Celestino Guimaraes
Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:52
English to Portuguese
+ ...
experts on the web Apr 3, 2002

experts on the web dot com

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:52
German to English
+ ...
freelancework exchange.com Apr 4, 2002

This one costs quite a bit.

So does elance.com.

There have been some negative reports on elance recently.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-04 08:49 ]

French Locale
French Locale
English to French
+ ...
elance Apr 4, 2002

I registered on elance last December and I\'ll probably cancel my registration - maybe valuable for programming or design but not for translation.

First, almost no translation jobs and, because of the non-hidden bidding system, you can see stuff like \"I would like to quote you a low bid of $0.015 per word in order to gain feedback\" and some \"agencies\" even quote around $0.04 - 0.05 per word, knowing they will have to give around 7% back to elance and pay translators.

Othe
... See more
I registered on elance last December and I\'ll probably cancel my registration - maybe valuable for programming or design but not for translation.

First, almost no translation jobs and, because of the non-hidden bidding system, you can see stuff like \"I would like to quote you a low bid of $0.015 per word in order to gain feedback\" and some \"agencies\" even quote around $0.04 - 0.05 per word, knowing they will have to give around 7% back to elance and pay translators.

Other problem due to that system: some people bid twice to get in line with lower bids...

Véronique
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Know any sites like ProZ.com for web designers? Any advice?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »