Does Platinum make the difference?
Thread poster: Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:15
French to English
Apr 15, 2004

My combination is primarily French into English, and I'm looking at the jobs list right now with 1 job into English, and 14 into French. Yikes. Does anyone else feel like they're on the wrong end of things? I'm contemplating upgrading to Platinum, but this erodes my expectations. Do Platinoids have better selection, or a better shot at nabbing jobs? I would love to hear from some of you who have upgraded.

Harvetta Asamoah
Harvetta Asamoah  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Some Jobs are Restricted Apr 15, 2004

Hi Stephanie,

I get many job listings that are restricted to Platinum members. Platinum members also get earlier notification of non-restricted jobs and Kudoz questions, by e-mail. I think there are other benefits, as well.

Jean-Luc Dumont
Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:15
English to French
+ ...
Comment ? Apr 15, 2004

Je crois que ça va ça vient. Il y a des jours où c'est l'inverse il me semble - plus vers l'anglais que vers le français.

En combinant avec des brownies, le "prix du platine" baisse, aussi.

Je ne sais pas s'il y a tant d'offres que cela qui sont réservées aux platinoïdes associés.

Je viens de voir une annonce de quelqu'un qui cherche un traducteur "bénévole" mais qui soit platinum
... See more
Je crois que ça va ça vient. Il y a des jours où c'est l'inverse il me semble - plus vers l'anglais que vers le français.

En combinant avec des brownies, le "prix du platine" baisse, aussi.

Je ne sais pas s'il y a tant d'offres que cela qui sont réservées aux platinoïdes associés.

Je viens de voir une annonce de quelqu'un qui cherche un traducteur "bénévole" mais qui soit platinum - Ca n'empêche pas d'être exigent. Certains voient cela comme un critère de qualité... basé sur ?
Comme d'être membre de l'ATA, le paiement d'un abonnement confère-t-il des compétences ? Cela peut faire professionnel - question de présentation ou d'apparence.

JL

[Edited at 2004-04-15 20:53]
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:15
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My experience Apr 15, 2004

Stephanie Mitchel wrote:
I'm contemplating upgrading to Platinum, but this erodes my expectations. Do Platinoids have better selection, or a better shot at nabbing jobs? I would love to hear from some of you who have upgraded.

Dear Stephanie,

You might want to read this: http://www.proz.com/plat

From my experience, the Platinum Membership has given me lots of benefits. I suggest it to everyone who is a professional translator/interpreter. You have priorities if you are Platinum, such as your name appears on the first translators list, you can see and bid for all the jobs listed, etc.
However, the link above tells it all

Monika

[Edited at 2004-04-16 10:47]

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:15
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Platinum pays Apr 16, 2004

The biggest benefit for me is exposure in the site. However, it must be combined with participation in the forum in other ways, such as answering questions when you are confident with your answer. It is true that if you have Platinum you receive job notices before than non-Platinums but, in my experience, you never get one unless your rates are within the low range, I believe. Thus, Platinum gets you clients in other way. It pays.

Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
Le Blue Board Apr 16, 2004

Bien que les avantages soient nombreux, le simple fait de pouvoir consulter le Blue Board est déjà très rentable. Cela évite de tomber entre les mains de mauvais payeurs, et cet avantage à lui seul paie ton adhésion surtout si tu paies la moitié du montant avec des BrowniZ.
Bonne journée!
Louise

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:15
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Explanation Apr 16, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:
Otherwise why came here from French?

Dear Tayfun, this thread was in the French forum as you seem to know, and it was in both languages. It surprised me to see that now it was in the Getting Established forum, and I do understand that people can get confused.

Stephanie Mitchel
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Much obliged! Apr 16, 2004

Thanks for your prompt and considered replies.

I am curious now about the BrowniZ equation: I have 1653 - how do I apply them to an upgrade?

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

How to use BrowniZ to upgrade membership Apr 16, 2004

[The following info appears on http://www.proz.com/faq#acct_upgrade]

How can I upgrade to platinum (or renew my current membership)?

Go to this page:
http://www.proz.com/plat

Upgrading the first time costs 120 $/euros. If you renew before the end of your term, your yearly
... See more
[The following info appears on http://www.proz.com/faq#acct_upgrade]

How can I upgrade to platinum (or renew my current membership)?

Go to this page:
http://www.proz.com/plat

Upgrading the first time costs 120 $/euros. If you renew before the end of your term, your yearly fee is 100 $/euros. Further discounts are available for those with browniz; any applicable discounts will be shown on the page above.

hth

Yolanda Broad

PS: I've gotten very few jobs over the years through actual job postings on ProZ, but the ones I have gotten have been good, and have led to further work from the job posters.

More often, I've benefited from the combination of my Platinum membership (it used to be some other metal--maybe gold?) and my KudoZ points. This has put me near the top of the list, which means outsourcers will find my name quickly when they are looking for someone with specific skills.

Stephanie Mitchel wrote:

I am curious now about the BrowniZ equation: I have 1653 - how do I apply them to an upgrade?
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:15
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Agree with Tayfun on all points, Apr 16, 2004

plus, do not forget the point of supporting this
site- running it DOES cost money- I cannot even guess what capacity of hard disk space and backup facilities is needed to keep this site running smoothly and I am not aware even of a single instance over the years when the site wouldn't function even for few minutes... and that happens even to Microsoft itself. Not to speak of human effort needed.

Uldis

Stephanie Mitchel
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Right then! Apr 16, 2004

Never for a second would I argue the site doesn't deserve my funding, especially considering all the queries I post. I just wanted some input on what it's really like on the other side of the looking glass...

So thanks.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:45
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Important thing is, do not take anything for granted Apr 17, 2004

Let me explain. If you want to go platinum, it can be for any number of very valid reasons that have been admirably posted in this thread. Getting more jobs because of this is only a by-product. The other pleasures of platinum membership are much more important than this. It is therefore vital that one has one's priorities in their respective proportions.

Many a time I see non-translators jealously looking at the enormous bills a translator gets paid. One of my friends told me that
... See more
Let me explain. If you want to go platinum, it can be for any number of very valid reasons that have been admirably posted in this thread. Getting more jobs because of this is only a by-product. The other pleasures of platinum membership are much more important than this. It is therefore vital that one has one's priorities in their respective proportions.

Many a time I see non-translators jealously looking at the enormous bills a translator gets paid. One of my friends told me that he too will learn a foreign language and be my competitor. I told him that he was most welcome to do it. The friend became thoughtful and wanted to know how long it would take to become a professional translator. I told him that it might take a few years and he was discouraged.

Here I will tell you a secret. I started learning German only to be able to read German authors in original and not in translation. Same was the case with French and Italian. Becoming a professional translator was only a by-product. It came to me of its own accord, as being an engineer I was able to read the technical literatures in German and French and here I am.
Become a platinum member for all the right reasons and not just for landing more jobs. If you do it you are likely to be disappointed. Good luck.
Regards,
N. Raghavan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Platinum make the difference?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »