https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/203933-dip_trans_distance_learning_wls_or_city_of_london.html

Dip/trans distance learning WLS or City of London?
Thread poster: Writeontarget
Writeontarget
Writeontarget
Local time: 22:42
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2011

Hello,
As a French/Italian graduate with a little experience of translation should I opt for the Combined certificate offered by WLS or the Dip/trans course at the City?
Advice or ideas much appreciated.
Thanks

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:42
French to English
+ ...
Long term Jul 25, 2011

Though the WLS certificate is almost certainly easier to obtain, what is it worth? the DipTrans is difficult but is a recognised qualification. You may find the discussion on the following link useful: http://www.iol.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2391

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seconded! Jul 25, 2011

B D Finch wrote:
Though the WLS certificate is almost certainly easier to obtain, what is it worth? the DipTrans is difficult but is a recognised qualification. You may find the discussion on the following link useful: http://www.iol.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2391

May I just add that the City University London prepares you for the DipTrans exams, but that doing the programme is no guarantee that you will get the Diploma. And I agree: it is a quite difficult exam indeed, so it's best to prepare for it carefully and with enough time.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Same thing at WLS Jul 25, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

B D Finch wrote:

May I just add that the City University London prepares you for the DipTrans exams, but that doing the programme is no guarantee that you will get the Diploma. And I agree: it is a quite difficult exam indeed, so it's best to prepare for it carefully and with enough time.

The WLS combined course ensures that you obtain their own certificate - a basic qualification that may not be "recognised" but is nevertheless well worth doing. The other part of the course is specific preparation for the DipTrans, with no guarantee of passing.

Cristina Lo Bianco
Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Suzanne James Associates Jul 26, 2011

Does enyone have any recent experience with the Suzanne James Associates course to report?

Thanks,
Cristina

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Susanne James Jul 26, 2011

Cristina Lo Bianco wrote:

Does enyone have any recent experience with the Suzanne James Associates course to report?

Thanks,
Cristina

I'm doing the Susanne James course http://www.s-james.dircon.co.uk/index.html at the moment, to prepare for the DipTrans exam next January. I've been sent a handbook in PDF and I'm doing 6 past papers that are being corrected by my tutor. So far I'm very happy with the way it's going and I'm getting useful feedback from my tutor. I guess it depends very much on who your tutor is.

Writeontarget
Writeontarget
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dip Trans distance learning Jul 27, 2011

Thanks for advice i'll look into Suzanne James course as well.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Susanne James Jul 28, 2011

I did the Susanne James course in 2009. For various reasons I haven't yet taken the DipTrans, but I can certainly recommend the course on the basis of my experience. You can tailor it to give you most practice in the areas you think you'll need most, and as it uses past DipTrans exam papers it gives you a precise idea of exactly how difficult the exam is likely to be.
My tutor gave me extremely useful feedback, a lot of which is also applicable to my everyday work (even though that's a mi
... See more
I did the Susanne James course in 2009. For various reasons I haven't yet taken the DipTrans, but I can certainly recommend the course on the basis of my experience. You can tailor it to give you most practice in the areas you think you'll need most, and as it uses past DipTrans exam papers it gives you a precise idea of exactly how difficult the exam is likely to be.
My tutor gave me extremely useful feedback, a lot of which is also applicable to my everyday work (even though that's a million miles away from the texts used in the general paper). The recommended reading is also valuable, especially if, like me, you've never studied translation theory: a lot of it confirmed what I was already doing in practice, which was reassuring, but there was also quite a bit which gave me new insights into my work.
Collapse

Writeontarget
Writeontarget
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dip Trans distance learning Jul 28, 2011

Thanks Marie Helene,
I have very little recent experience in translating and really need a formal qualification to get experience in the hope of eventually generating a reasonable income. Attending a course might suit me better but they only offer the MA at QUB which is a v big financial commitment.
I was hoping to try for the diptrans in Jan 2013 so that would give me a year and a bit to prepare.

PGarciaJones
PGarciaJones  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
City preparatory course Aug 18, 2011

I did this last year and passed the Dip Trans first time so would highly recommend it to anybody as it provides you with many past papers to translate and the tutors are very good at pointing out specific criteria that you'll need to pass.

Good luck!

Paulina Zastryzna
Paulina Zastryzna
United Kingdom
English to Polish
City University Sep 5, 2011

I have completed PG Certificate in Principles and Practice in Translation at City this year and I recommend it. It prepares you for DipTrans (you work with past papers and get very valuable tutor's feedback) as well as it offers a certificate of course completion. I do agree that the certificate isn't as recognised as the DipTrans but it is worth to have it in case it takes a while to pass DipTrans.

Noelia Intriago
Noelia Intriago  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 16:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Update on courses Jan 9, 2018

Is the City University course not available anymore? It's not listed on CIOL and I can't find it on the short courses page of the university's website.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dip/trans distance learning WLS or City of London?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »