Thread poster: TCanfield
Federica Masante
Federica Masante  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:25
Italian to English
+ ...
working 12 hours a day? Jun 17, 2004

Hi Loek,

Working 80 hours a week? Are you serious??
How can you talk about freedom if you end up working 12 hours a day??? You must be kidding!

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
I'm a workaholic Jun 17, 2004

Hi Federica,

What can I say? I love my job. I love translating and every aspect of it. I'm addicted to it. Plus: it pays the bills. Very well. Trust me if I say that I have plenty of time left to enjoy the fruits of my labour! Playing on the German Autobahn with my new toy, for example

Freedom to me also means being able to take more work than people with normal job contracts, knowing that I can take a v
... See more
Hi Federica,

What can I say? I love my job. I love translating and every aspect of it. I'm addicted to it. Plus: it pays the bills. Very well. Trust me if I say that I have plenty of time left to enjoy the fruits of my labour! Playing on the German Autobahn with my new toy, for example

Freedom to me also means being able to take more work than people with normal job contracts, knowing that I can take a vacation right away if I really want to. The problem is: I don't want to. Not yet. Not yet.

[Edited at 2004-06-17 22:32]
Collapse

Larisa Migachyov
Larisa Migachyov
United States
Local time: 22:25
Russian to English
It's different when it's your own business... Jun 20, 2004

And it's a very palpable difference. I hated working 13-hour days for a company in a cubicle; but oh, the difference between that and working 13-hour days for myself at home! When I worked a 13-hour day for a boss, it was because the boss told me to; and working the 13-hour day did not get me more money, more job security, or more job satisfaction. When I work a 13-hour day for myself, it's because a client needs my work urgently - and I am the one who decides whether or not I want to work 13... See more
And it's a very palpable difference. I hated working 13-hour days for a company in a cubicle; but oh, the difference between that and working 13-hour days for myself at home! When I worked a 13-hour day for a boss, it was because the boss told me to; and working the 13-hour day did not get me more money, more job security, or more job satisfaction. When I work a 13-hour day for myself, it's because a client needs my work urgently - and I am the one who decides whether or not I want to work 13 hours; and working that 13-hour day, and delivering on time, means that the client will be happy and will send me other clients - more job security.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job satisfaction for freelancers?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »