Purchasing Trados 2011 or Trados 2011 + 2007?
Thread poster: Adrien Lambert
Adrien Lambert
Adrien Lambert  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:51
English to French
+ ...
Nov 10, 2011

Hello folks,

I would like to request advice from the community. I am about to purchase Trados 2011 through the November TGB (http://www.proz.com/tgb/). This is a 35 % discount on Trados Studio 2011 Freelance. But I also discovered that the 35 % discount also applies on other offers, such as Trados Studio 2011 + Trados 2007 Suite Freelance.

Today I need to chose between :
- Trado
... See more
Hello folks,

I would like to request advice from the community. I am about to purchase Trados 2011 through the November TGB (http://www.proz.com/tgb/). This is a 35 % discount on Trados Studio 2011 Freelance. But I also discovered that the 35 % discount also applies on other offers, such as Trados Studio 2011 + Trados 2007 Suite Freelance.

Today I need to chose between :
- Trados Studio 2011 Freelance at 520 €
- or Trados Studio 2011 Freelance + Trados 2007 Suite Freelance at 626 €.

Question 1: Is it of any use to have Trados 2007 when you own Trados 2011. Could you please explain me what the point is in having Trados 2007 when a more recent version is available? I guess there is some use, if such an offer exists...

Question 2: The non-Plus offer allows you to run Trados on 1 computer, the Plus offer allows you to run it on two computers. What if I have the normal version and want to install Trados on another computer? Can I do so if I erase the first installation entirely?

Thank you very much for your answers, it is very much appreciated!

Adrien Lambert
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:51
English to Russian
It depends on waht you intend to do Nov 11, 2011

The use of Trados 2007 which works with the TWB (Translator's Workbench) is that:
1. You can create TagEditor files yourself which may be useful for translating files in format other than MS Word (Excel, PowerPoint, InDesign and a few more).
2. You can work in bilingual Word files opening them in TWB.

But both are marginal advantages as in Trados Studio 2011 you can open bilingual Word files created by someone else (client or another translator) and translating/editing
... See more
The use of Trados 2007 which works with the TWB (Translator's Workbench) is that:
1. You can create TagEditor files yourself which may be useful for translating files in format other than MS Word (Excel, PowerPoint, InDesign and a few more).
2. You can work in bilingual Word files opening them in TWB.

But both are marginal advantages as in Trados Studio 2011 you can open bilingual Word files created by someone else (client or another translator) and translating/editing them you can convert them back into the original TWB format and return them to the client. SDL Trados Studio 2011 handles nearly all existing file formats (including TagEditor bilingual files), so you don't really need the TagEditor which is part of SDL Trados 2007. But on the other hand the difference in price is not so great. I have both. Recently I had a segmentation/formatting problem working in Studio 2009 with a TTX (TagEditor) file created from a Passolo file. So I had to do it in the TagEditor. But this is rare. You can do everything you may need in the Studio.
Your second question. You don't need to erase anything on the first computer. You just return the licence which deactivates the first instance of the software, and after installing the software on the 2nd computer you activate it and you can use it until your return the license to the SDL stite.
Best.
Alex
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
2007 is the end of the line, while 2009 and 2011 are a fresh start Nov 11, 2011

Workbench 2007 and Studio 2009 are not fully compatible, and that is why it is still possible to buy both.

There are still users, both translators and clients, who use the Workbench version and have not converted to the new system. With updates and service packages, the transition is now easier than it was, but the two systems are still not entirely compatible.

2009 is not an update of 2007. It is a completely new start, and I personally like it, although I still find 2
... See more
Workbench 2007 and Studio 2009 are not fully compatible, and that is why it is still possible to buy both.

There are still users, both translators and clients, who use the Workbench version and have not converted to the new system. With updates and service packages, the transition is now easier than it was, but the two systems are still not entirely compatible.

2009 is not an update of 2007. It is a completely new start, and I personally like it, although I still find 2007 works very well.

For one thing, I miss the bilingual files with 2009, as many of my clients still ask for them, and then I have to work with 2007. As I understand, Studio 2011 is partly an extension of 2009, which allows you to make bilingual files among other things, and gradually 2007 will drop out of use.

If you do not already have clients who use the 2007 version, you may be able to manage without it. But for translators and agencies who have been using Trados for years, the Workbench interface is not yet dead or obsolete!
Collapse

Adrien Lambert
Adrien Lambert  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 13, 2011

Hello Alexey and Christine,

Your insights have been most helpful. I think I will take T2007 along with T2011. The price difference is not big, and you underlined that it may come in handy.

I thank you both and wish you a good day!

Adrien

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Purchasing Trados 2011 or Trados 2011 + 2007?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »