Thread poster: Christina Fonthes (X)
Christina Fonthes (X)
Christina Fonthes (X)
Local time: 04:45
French to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2011

Hello,

I have a been asked to translate and transcribe two short videos (about 2 mins each) from Congo. As it is something I have never done before I want to make sure I am getting the correct rate. The videos are conversations taking placing in the market so there is a lot of background noise, I suspect the work will take me a day for each video.
The rate is £3 per audio minute.

Is this the correct rate for this type of work?

Many than
... See more
Hello,

I have a been asked to translate and transcribe two short videos (about 2 mins each) from Congo. As it is something I have never done before I want to make sure I am getting the correct rate. The videos are conversations taking placing in the market so there is a lot of background noise, I suspect the work will take me a day for each video.
The rate is £3 per audio minute.

Is this the correct rate for this type of work?

Many thanks in advance.
Collapse

kashew
kashew
France
Local time: 05:45
English to French
+ ...
Rate for transcription Nov 28, 2011

I think you should ask for a better rate. £15 for two days work is a laugh.
This sort of work can be very time consuming, I know from experience - backwards and forwards for hours on end.
Work out roughly how many words and apply a translator's rate e.g. £0.07 - 0.10 per word then double it is my suggestion.
Best of luck,
Kashew

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:45
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Rates and times Nov 28, 2011

Well, £3 per audio minute is too low, but what puzzles me is how you can take a whole day to transcribe/translate 2 mins of video.
1 minute of audio should take anything from 6 to 10 minutes to transcribe /translate if you do it in one step (i.e. write it in your target language).

Supposing 1 audio minute takes 10 minutes to do, then you should be charging a sixth of your hourly rate per audio minute.

Maybe it is inaudible if you say it may take you a whole day
... See more
Well, £3 per audio minute is too low, but what puzzles me is how you can take a whole day to transcribe/translate 2 mins of video.
1 minute of audio should take anything from 6 to 10 minutes to transcribe /translate if you do it in one step (i.e. write it in your target language).

Supposing 1 audio minute takes 10 minutes to do, then you should be charging a sixth of your hourly rate per audio minute.

Maybe it is inaudible if you say it may take you a whole day to do? In which case the best thing would be to listen to it and get straight back to your client and say you can't do it at all.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Video translation/transcription rates

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »