Thread poster: Mariana Rohlig Sa
Paul Harrison MITI
Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:12
French to English
I have this one... Dec 21, 2011

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-N61JV-JX361V.54120.0.html

...and agree with the above review in that it is average. It has the necessary computing power for work and play, but the screen is too glossy (distracting reflections even indoors), and the azerty keyboard feels crowded.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:12
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Must it be a laptop? Dec 23, 2011

If you have the choice, I would definitely not buy a laptop, simply because of the limitations on screen size. When you are trying to get two documents side by side, a 17" screen is too small! And anything bigger means that your laptop rapidly becomes something you need to carry on a trolley.

That said, because I am not currently based at home, I *am* using a laptop - it's an HP G72, which was dirt cheap (about 320 euros) and which has a reasonably laid out keyboard that doesn't fle
... See more
If you have the choice, I would definitely not buy a laptop, simply because of the limitations on screen size. When you are trying to get two documents side by side, a 17" screen is too small! And anything bigger means that your laptop rapidly becomes something you need to carry on a trolley.

That said, because I am not currently based at home, I *am* using a laptop - it's an HP G72, which was dirt cheap (about 320 euros) and which has a reasonably laid out keyboard that doesn't flex when you type. The screen is fine in terms of reflection, and the fan is quiet. It copes with everything I run on it better than my now 3 year old PC does, although I think you'd probably be pushing it a bit if you tried to run fast-moving games.

The best thing about it is that at that price I can think "well if it packs up now (after nearly a year's use) I'll just go to the supermarket and buy another one".
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which laptop to buy?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »