Volunteering for translations in reverse language pair
Thread poster: Christopher Rizzo, Esq (X)
Christopher Rizzo, Esq (X)
United States
Local time: 05:49
German to English
Dec 20, 2011

Hi everyone:

First post for me. I am in the NYU German to English certificate program and in the meantime I
thought it would be a good idea to volunteer translate. I contacted several organizations and most
of them do not need German to English translations; but many do need English to German. I am
a native English speaker. Would it be worth my time to volunteer to translate English to German,
so I could put those projects on my resume, even though I
... See more
Hi everyone:

First post for me. I am in the NYU German to English certificate program and in the meantime I
thought it would be a good idea to volunteer translate. I contacted several organizations and most
of them do not need German to English translations; but many do need English to German. I am
a native English speaker. Would it be worth my time to volunteer to translate English to German,
so I could put those projects on my resume, even though I only intend to work in German to English?
The translations required by these agencies are simple, nontechnical translations so I don't see the
translations as problematic for me.

Thanks for any feedback.

Christopher Rizzo
Collapse

Sam Pinson
Sam Pinson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:49
Member (2011)
Russian to English
I would keep looking Dec 20, 2011

I would keep looking for organizations in need of German to English. They must exist. Of course, you're most likely to find them based in Germany.

United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 20, 2011

Thanks Sam, I will do that.

Christopher

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
Blue Board outsourcers accepting applications Dec 20, 2011

ChristopherR wrote:

(...) I contacted several organizations and most of them do not need German to English translations; (...)

Hi Christopher!

There are some outsourcers looking for German to English translators. Have you already looked here: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?sp_mode=applications ?

Cheers,

Marina

United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Blue Board Outsourcers Dec 20, 2011

Hi Marina: I looked at the outsourcer list, thank you for that. Did you mean I should
apply to these agencies for volunteer projects or paid projects? I have less than a year
translation experience, and am still a student in the German to English translation program at NYU, so I'm assuming they would only be interested in volunteer work.

Sorry but I know next to nothing about the industry! I am just a lawyer (practicing in the U.S.)
in translation school (And lo
... See more
Hi Marina: I looked at the outsourcer list, thank you for that. Did you mean I should
apply to these agencies for volunteer projects or paid projects? I have less than a year
translation experience, and am still a student in the German to English translation program at NYU, so I'm assuming they would only be interested in volunteer work.

Sorry but I know next to nothing about the industry! I am just a lawyer (practicing in the U.S.)
in translation school (And loving that by the way.).

Thanks again,
Christopher
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:49
Chinese to English
Never hurts to practice Dec 21, 2011

I would say that the ability to write in your source language is a useful skill (among other things, you will need to communicate with some of your clients in your source language, and you want to make sure you write impeccable business letters, so writing practice in German is always valuable); and that doing back translation is a helpful practice exercise (I do it a lot, and it helps me crystallise ideas about equivalents).
I'm not sure how much value native>source translations would hav
... See more
I would say that the ability to write in your source language is a useful skill (among other things, you will need to communicate with some of your clients in your source language, and you want to make sure you write impeccable business letters, so writing practice in German is always valuable); and that doing back translation is a helpful practice exercise (I do it a lot, and it helps me crystallise ideas about equivalents).
I'm not sure how much value native>source translations would have as CV items, seeing as you will be working German>English. It all shows dedication to your craft, which is good, but you might find more relevant experience elsewhere. Particularly with your law background, I can't imagine you'll find it hard to get work.
Welcome to the ranks!
Collapse

Paula Gordon
Paula Gordon  Identity Verified
United States
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Maybe team up with another translator? Dec 21, 2011

Christopher,
Have you considered looking for a mentor in translation? Consider joining the NY Circle of Translators, attend a few meetings and events, join the online discussion group (there are probably sections for different language pairs and different subject areas). Once you know your way around a bit, you could put the word out that you're a student looking for some guidance, and in exchange, you could offer assistance with English legal language (if you are willing to do that). It
... See more
Christopher,
Have you considered looking for a mentor in translation? Consider joining the NY Circle of Translators, attend a few meetings and events, join the online discussion group (there are probably sections for different language pairs and different subject areas). Once you know your way around a bit, you could put the word out that you're a student looking for some guidance, and in exchange, you could offer assistance with English legal language (if you are willing to do that). It needn't even be someone working in German -- just someone to show you the ropes, introduce you around, etc. But if you can find a German>Eng translator who is looking to break into legal translation, you may be able to team up on translation assignments as a translator-reviewer pair.

The American Translators Association has a mentoring program as well.

Or you could get experience by offering to proofread German into English legal translations, as long as you are comfortable with your knowledge of German. I'm harping on legal, since this is a marketable skill. ("I'm just a lawyer." -- just???)

Like others who answered, I'm not sure that offering to translate into German is desirable or practical, especially if you don't plan to pursue that direction.

Good luck!

Paula
Collapse

United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 21, 2011

Thank you Sam, Marina, Phil, and Paula for your thoughtful posts. I will take all of your
advice into consideration.

Christopher

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Volunteering for translations in reverse language pair

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »