Question for those working into German: Who studied in Vienna or Zürich?
Thread poster: Marie Safarovic
Marie Safarovic
Marie Safarovic
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:56
Russian to German
+ ...
Jan 22, 2012

Dear everyone,

I am trying to make a decision whether to enrol in Zürich or Vienna to study Interpreting and/or Translation.

Therefore, if you studied there, I'd be very interested to hear about your experiences! This might help me with my decsion making progress.
... See more
Dear everyone,

I am trying to make a decision whether to enrol in Zürich or Vienna to study Interpreting and/or Translation.

Therefore, if you studied there, I'd be very interested to hear about your experiences! This might help me with my decsion making progress.

The course in Vienna is this one: http://transvienna.univie.ac.at/studieninformation/studienplaene/studienplan-2007-bama/ma-uebersetzen/
I was told I could study it in combination with this one: http://transvienna.univie.ac.at/studieninformation/studienplaene/studienplan-2007-bama/ma-dolmetschen/
but I am concerned that it would take longer than four semesters that way. I would also have to write two Master theses.

The course in Zürich is this one: http://www.linguistik.zhaw.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/linguistik/PDFS/Studium/Master/ZHAW_AL_Broschuere_MA_Angewandte_Linguistik.pdf
It takes three semesters and starts off generally with both disciplines, then you need to focus on one of the two at the end.

I would prefer to study both Interpreting and Translation and I want to do it with all my languages, not just one or two. Therefore, it has been difficult finding a suitable course and it boiled down to those two- unless you know something that I don't?

I am looking forward to your replies and any other advice you might want to give me.

Thanks

Marie
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:56
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why not Germany? Jan 23, 2012

I wonder, is there a reason why you would not study in Germany?

Marie Safarovic
Marie Safarovic
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:56
Russian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
best options I found Jan 23, 2012

Well, those were simply the best options I could find for three working languages.

I am open for other suggestions though.

[Edited at 2012-01-23 20:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question for those working into German: Who studied in Vienna or Zürich?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »