Getting a domain name
Thread poster: Li-chuan Yen
Li-chuan Yen
Li-chuan Yen  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:35
English to Chinese
Apr 13, 2002

I am thinking about getting a domain name for my freelance business. Any suggestion?

Also, I am checking out the service provided by Yahoo, with $35 annual fee and five email addresses. Is anyone using this now?

I\'d also like to know your experience on maintaing your website and getting a host.

Thanks in advance,

Li-chuan

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:35
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Check out Namezero.com Apr 13, 2002

I have used:

http://www.namezero.com for 2 years now

First it was free, now $34,95/year I think.

It\'s good though

Mats Wiman

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
I just used another one at 16 USD/year Apr 13, 2002

Go to:

http://www.targetdomain.com

That price is the best on the market as far as I know.

Mats

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
www.dollardomainname.com + Tiscali Apr 13, 2002

I bought my domain name at www.dollardomainname.com for only 15 USD. In Belgium, Tiscali offers free web hosting + 3 free e-mail addresses (no catch, no ads on you website, the only condition is that you upload your web pages through a Tiscali connection, but you can surf and read your e-mail via any other connection). This service is also open to companies and freelance... See more
I bought my domain name at www.dollardomainname.com for only 15 USD. In Belgium, Tiscali offers free web hosting + 3 free e-mail addresses (no catch, no ads on you website, the only condition is that you upload your web pages through a Tiscali connection, but you can surf and read your e-mail via any other connection). This service is also open to companies and freelancers (freedom.tiscalinet.be). Maybe Tiscali has a similar service in your country?

I must add that I no longer have my site hosted by Tiscali because of technical problems. The e-mail service went down for almost a week and they couldn\'t find what was wrong. And when you receive 99% of your jobs via e-mail, that is a *huge* problem...
Collapse

Eivind Lilleskjaeret
Eivind Lilleskjaeret  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Building & maintaining a web-site Apr 13, 2002

Mats\'s suggestions are probably good. I used bestregister.com, I think I paid USD 55 for two years\' registration.

But in addition to that you will need a reliable web hotel to host your site, i.e. unless you want to buy and maintain your own server, you will have to rent server space. There are certain vendors who offer \"free\" server space, but that means limited space and a low service level, as well as advertising banners (or equivalent) on your web-site. I do not recommend it. F
... See more
Mats\'s suggestions are probably good. I used bestregister.com, I think I paid USD 55 for two years\' registration.

But in addition to that you will need a reliable web hotel to host your site, i.e. unless you want to buy and maintain your own server, you will have to rent server space. There are certain vendors who offer \"free\" server space, but that means limited space and a low service level, as well as advertising banners (or equivalent) on your web-site. I do not recommend it. Find a web hosting company in your area, one that you can easily reach on the telephone. Transfer your domain name from the registration vendor to the hosting company. You will most probably run into problems in the beginning, and telephone accessiblity and a high level of service and support are important. Prices probably vary hugely, but in Norway I pay approx. USD 120 a year for ample server space, two e-mail addresses, a few other functions and excellent telephone support. Then you only need a web-site and an ftp program (I use CuteFTP, inexpensive and easy to use)!

Good luck.
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:05
English to Hindi
+ ...
www.godaddy.com Apr 13, 2002

You can look up various Registrars at www.internic.com and check out. US based GoDaddy charges you about $8.95/year for domains while Network Solutions charges $35.

For hosting, you can check up a variety of options or just email me and I can tell you about all the webhosting related personal research I have done.

Regards,

Roomy Naqvy
[addsig]

Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 09:35
German to English
+ ...
Well, here's my offer! Apr 13, 2002

Besides a translator and teacher, I\'m a webdesigner/-master and have found a secure way how to get a free domain name and hosting on the Internet and I am using it currently to set up websites in order to get my name out there (hence I won\'t tell everyone how it is done).

Li-chuan, I can offer you:

Free hosting and a free domain-name (ending in \".cn.st\"), free maintenance of your website and I only ask for one thing in return: mentioning that your si
... See more
Besides a translator and teacher, I\'m a webdesigner/-master and have found a secure way how to get a free domain name and hosting on the Internet and I am using it currently to set up websites in order to get my name out there (hence I won\'t tell everyone how it is done).

Li-chuan, I can offer you:

Free hosting and a free domain-name (ending in \".cn.st\"), free maintenance of your website and I only ask for one thing in return: mentioning that your site is maintained by me by displaying a small logo (no advertising banner) and allowing me to add the website to my portfolio that I show clients. A bit of advertising on your part for me to get larger website design projects would be nice, but I am not asking for it.

B.t.w. this offer is valid to anyone at ProZ - many colleagues have an inferior website or no website at all. I\'m re-doing mine at the moment, you can get an impression what the news site is going to look like by looking at the Flash movie on http://ceetee.cn.st.

You can also talk to me from that site by pressing the \"speak to a real person\" - button. (If I am not in the office, the button displays \"leave us a message\" and you can send a message, which automatically goes to my e-mail account.)

Regards,

Klaus
Collapse

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:35
German to English
+ ...
http://www.free-web-space-finder.com/ Apr 13, 2002

This is a site that could help you to find a host in your country and give you an idea what to look for. Particularly, watch the statistics. Some of the no-cost or low-cost servers are down a lot.

You either pay a fee or you advertise for them with banners and ads. Startups without banner ads are often down a lot. The old saying: \"You get what you pay for\", is true. However, there are cheap ways to get started. For that purpose, here is another site:

http://www.free
... See more
This is a site that could help you to find a host in your country and give you an idea what to look for. Particularly, watch the statistics. Some of the no-cost or low-cost servers are down a lot.

You either pay a fee or you advertise for them with banners and ads. Startups without banner ads are often down a lot. The old saying: \"You get what you pay for\", is true. However, there are cheap ways to get started. For that purpose, here is another site:

http://www.freehostingweb.com/?AID=5592565&PID=103858

Good luck!
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 02:35
German to English
+ ...
DomainDirect Apr 13, 2002

http://www.domaindirect.com

Also includes domain forwarding, so you won\'t have to change servers, etc.

Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 09:35
German to English
+ ...
one more thing... Apr 13, 2002

...having seen my colleagues comments on here, the statement \"what you pay for is what you get\" isn\'t always true. The services I use and have used have been down exactly one day within the last year.

I encounter a great lack of knowledge amongst the translator community - maybe because they\'re only riding one horse (translation). However, there are some who are webdesigners too (like myself), I am sure they know better. Basically, it\'s a matter of combining the service
... See more
...having seen my colleagues comments on here, the statement \"what you pay for is what you get\" isn\'t always true. The services I use and have used have been down exactly one day within the last year.

I encounter a great lack of knowledge amongst the translator community - maybe because they\'re only riding one horse (translation). However, there are some who are webdesigners too (like myself), I am sure they know better. Basically, it\'s a matter of combining the services of a free hosting service with those of a domain name redirection service, that\'s all.

If, of course, you insist on having a \".com\", yes, you\'ll have to pay for it - but since most useful sites are stored in people\'s favourites, what does the url matter?

I believe the internet and most that comes with it should be free and should be kept free. We have a right to information and we have a right to publish our information to the whole world.

Regards,

Klaus
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:05
English to Hindi
+ ...
www.net4domains.com Apr 13, 2002

If you are looking for just business email without hosting your website, try www.net4domains.com and look up their Biz email packages. I\'m sure they are far cheaper and better than Yahoo or others in the industry. Their cheapest package is Indian Rupees 700 [$14] per year with 5 email addresses with your domain name with unlimited storage space,

Regards

Roomy Naqvy
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting a domain name

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »