Thread poster: ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 22, 2004

Hello,
have you ever considered to give students a chance, like teaching them things out of the live of a real translator? Like working with CAT Tools and research methods?
Does anybody have good/bad experiences with that kind of experiment?
Thanks,
Natália

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:26
English to German
+ ...
Definitely Jun 22, 2004

Hi Natália,
I should probably ask our French intern what she thinks about her stay, but I'm certainly happy. This is the second time we have taken on a student: last year a British student spent about 10 weeks with us, and this year we have even gone for half a year.

Given the complexity of the stuff we translate, "real" translation is the only thing she can't really get her hands on, but she's providing great support, aligning text, preparing files for translation, even sett
... See more
Hi Natália,
I should probably ask our French intern what she thinks about her stay, but I'm certainly happy. This is the second time we have taken on a student: last year a British student spent about 10 weeks with us, and this year we have even gone for half a year.

Given the complexity of the stuff we translate, "real" translation is the only thing she can't really get her hands on, but she's providing great support, aligning text, preparing files for translation, even setting up projects on our web platform.

Definitely a positive experience.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Anecdote Jun 23, 2004

A client of mine does it regularly through a university's apprenticeship placement program. As far as I know, the students are very happy. I'm used to hearing from new voices every year.

One of them took down the contact data of his best translators and opened shop elsewhere. She also upped their rates to buy priority... (smart kid)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with students?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »