Thread poster: roverbond
Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe I'm just lucky... Jul 6, 2012

I've been working in the ESEN translation field now for about 5 years, 2 years in Argentina, 2 years in-house and now a year as a freelancer and yes, there is a lot or competition in this language pair, but there's enough demand that it balances out. Here in the US every one needs something translated into or from Spanish. Personally, I mix up my time between interpreting and translating here locally, doing some out sourced work from a couple of international agencies, and I have a couple of dir... See more
I've been working in the ESEN translation field now for about 5 years, 2 years in Argentina, 2 years in-house and now a year as a freelancer and yes, there is a lot or competition in this language pair, but there's enough demand that it balances out. Here in the US every one needs something translated into or from Spanish. Personally, I mix up my time between interpreting and translating here locally, doing some out sourced work from a couple of international agencies, and I have a couple of direct clients. I'm not rich by any means, but I keep my expenses low and so I live fairly comfortably. When I was working as an in-house linguist I put in my 8 hours a day, plus 3-4 hours commuting thanks to heavy St. Louis traffic, came home and went to sleep. I made about double what I'm making now, but if I had to chose between money and freedom, I'll take freedom.

Again, maybe I'm just lucky, but I've found plenty of work to keep my bills paid and food on my table.

One thing I would like repeat that's already been pointed out though is the importance of specialization. Just because there are thousands of ES>EN translators just on this site, doesn't mean that we can all do the same job. I don't even look at medical projects because I know that I don't know enough about it to create a quality translation, so I stick to my niche. Not every one understands this though and so there are a lot of "otherly experienced" translators doing jobs that they probably shouldn't. Now you if you an area where you excel or really stand out, you can find those clients that will pay for your talents. Not to mention that that's where your personal/professional connections will really help you.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Demand for translation work from Spanish to English - feedback needed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »