How long does it take to prepare for a court certification exam?
Thread poster: Jessica Ju
Jessica Ju
Jessica Ju
United States
Local time: 23:30
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 15, 2012

Hi,

I am planning to take the written exam for court certification in new jersey, and then the oral.
I wonder how much time i should allocate myself to study the court's procedure, terminology, etc?
Anyone has experience taking the consortium's examination?

Thanks!

Jason Schrier
Jason Schrier  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:30
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
How long does it take? Jun 16, 2012

It depends on how often they offer the exams. For example, the federal exam for Spanish-English is every other year. That is, the written is offered one summer, the oral the next. Thus, you have a whole year to prepare. Realistically, I think 3-4 months for each is good. I can clearly recall that before the written and oral I was studying and preparing at least 3 months prior. Hope this helps. JS

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:30
Russian to English
+ ...
Time to prepare for the court exam Jun 16, 2012

I don't want to frighten you, but the New Jersey exam is one of the hardest in the industry. The written exam is fair, not very difficult. I think if you are almost bilingual it should not take you more than a month to prepare for it, studying 1 hour a day. The oral exam is very challenging. I don't know what to say, but you really need to be almost bilingual, focused, work on your speed and accuracy. Your speed should approach 200w/m by the end. it would also be beneficial to try working on int... See more
I don't want to frighten you, but the New Jersey exam is one of the hardest in the industry. The written exam is fair, not very difficult. I think if you are almost bilingual it should not take you more than a month to prepare for it, studying 1 hour a day. The oral exam is very challenging. I don't know what to say, but you really need to be almost bilingual, focused, work on your speed and accuracy. Your speed should approach 200w/m by the end. it would also be beneficial to try working on interpreting speech samples when three people are talking at the same time, in very professional, legal languages, packed with legal terms. This is what the exam is like. You should be absolutely proficient in legal language, as a lawyer of judge would be in both languages, since there is no time to think about phrases. It is possible to pass, but it is one of the hardest exams there is. Listen to legal speech samples, and try recording your interpretation. Work on the accuracy, and when you are quite comfortable with your interpreting, increase your speed.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long does it take to prepare for a court certification exam?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »