A few issues about getting started as a freelance translator
Thread poster: Salvora
Salvora
Salvora  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:27
English to Spanish
Jul 12, 2004

Hello,

I want to start working as a freelance translator and I have a few questions to ask you.

First, I have got a business name. How should I do the webpage? Should I use the pronoun "I" (singular) and speak about myself (I do, I translate, contact me, etc) or the pronoun "WE" and speak about the business (We do, we translate, contact us, etc.)?

Second, I want to send my cv to lots of translation agencies. Do I send them my rates or do I wait to hear from
... See more
Hello,

I want to start working as a freelance translator and I have a few questions to ask you.

First, I have got a business name. How should I do the webpage? Should I use the pronoun "I" (singular) and speak about myself (I do, I translate, contact me, etc) or the pronoun "WE" and speak about the business (We do, we translate, contact us, etc.)?

Second, I want to send my cv to lots of translation agencies. Do I send them my rates or do I wait to hear from them first?

Thanks,

Salvora

[Edited at 2004-07-12 12:19]
Collapse

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:27
French to English
+ ...
It depends... Jul 12, 2004

Hi!

Just a few things. I think you would be better to use 'I' when setting up the website. If you are going to contact agencies, they will prefer to see you as a freelancer and an individual. If you refer to 'we' and 'us', there is the chance you will seem like another agency, thus competition and not someone to be top of the list when collaborating on projects! Besides, if it is just you, then why use 'we'?

Secondly, as for rates - yes, let the agencies know. If you d
... See more
Hi!

Just a few things. I think you would be better to use 'I' when setting up the website. If you are going to contact agencies, they will prefer to see you as a freelancer and an individual. If you refer to 'we' and 'us', there is the chance you will seem like another agency, thus competition and not someone to be top of the list when collaborating on projects! Besides, if it is just you, then why use 'we'?

Secondly, as for rates - yes, let the agencies know. If you don't give rates, one of three things will happen. They might ignore you, and opt for people who have sent them their rates. They might just e-mail you back and ask for rates. They might come back offering you work at ridiculous, sub-standard rates, (if I had a penny for the number of times I've been offered jobs at £0.01, or even $0.01 per word, I'd be a very rich man!!) So, to eliminate risks, state your rate to begin with - it avoids long-term confusion!

Hope this helps, and good luck!!!

Un saludito,

Paul ;0)
Collapse

Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
United States
Local time: 10:27
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I agree. Jul 12, 2004

Paul Lambert wrote:

Hi!

Secondly, as for rates - yes, let the agencies know. If you don't give rates, one of three things will happen. They might ignore you, and opt for people who have sent them their rates. They might just e-mail you back and ask for rates. They might come back offering you work at ridiculous, sub-standard rates, (if I had a penny for the number of times I've been offered jobs at £0.01, or even $0.01 per word, I'd be a very rich man!!) So, to eliminate risks, state your rate to begin with - it avoids long-term confusion!

Hope this helps, and good luck!!!

Un saludito,

Paul ;0)

That's exactly what I was going to say. I agree 100%.

konan
konan
Yemen
Local time: 17:27
Arabic to English
+ ...
I agree ... Jul 12, 2004

I agree with you. And I think it is better to do this.
No more comments on what you have written.

Best Regards,
Mohammed Al Homaidi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A few issues about getting started as a freelance translator

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »